Server maintenance Read more... ×
PapouGhia

Xf Efi problems

Hi all, 

i have this year purchased a xf 1985 efi, 

I'm having trouble with the top end, the lifters where going off there nut, 

i brought a whole set of lifters and at the time there was one loose rocker, and the rest where all pretty loose as well so I tightened them all up without getting on info on it, put the rocker back on and drove it and still had a bigger rattle, took rocker off and one of the pushrods where bent and also the bolt for the rocker snapped off. Yes this was mine and my mates fault as this is a project we have both been working on. We did put 2 washers on that rocker to stop it moving, and that would of been the reason behind it snapping. 

My my question is should I take the whole top end off and through it out and find another running mint head and change it straight over? And when I do use the new lifter I have in that head? I'm willing to learn step by step, and have learnt my lesson, and I'm not sure if the pushrods bending and jumping out of spot may have stuffed the head.

im located in Melbourne Mountwavelrey and is anyone selling a efi complete head or even a complete running Xf efi for cheap I could see running as I don't want to be in the dark if that head is runined also, 

if anyone is willing to come down and help when I do have the parts (won't be free of charge you tell the price) would be appreciated as well.

i have attached a few photos of my Xf. 

Thanks Emilio 

I was thinking the cam could be badly worn and giving slack in between the moving parts from lifters to rockers and on top of the valves. Also, if the car has been parked up for a long time without being started then the lifters can drain out their oil and not fully pressurise and take up slack between pushrod and valves.

When I did put the  lifter in i did check the lobes through top, and when I did put lifter in and turned engine over it got stiff so that puts the cam being worn kinda out of it

7 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

You've forgotten the pics dude.
Use IMGR or something similar to Photobucket.

can't remember the last time i saw those door reflector/bumpers even in a wrecker
very tidy XF, can't help with your issue other than the EFI cams were said to wear out (usually caused issues of rough running.. Crow make a New EFI Grind cam for them, might be worth considering a cam, lifter and timing chain replacement.. especially if its done over 200,000kms)

cPzeucO.jpg

G9mqxJe.jpg

Thanks  for the help guys. The car is nowhere as clean as it looks in photos I’ll tell you that much but I’m getting all the  driveline/running gear done first before she goes in for a respray and really wanting to keep it all original, should I give it a crack one last time with getting just a new rocker and push rod? As I know I stuffed up with the torque and having trouble to find a simple explanation on the lash adjustments, I really want to do it myself not just to save money but to learn how to do it bit more satisfying. Or what would I be looking at  cash wise to do as you where saying DeanKdx? And also all spark plugs where great besides the one at the very back near the isc, it’s was very very oily and like sludgey for some reason/ maybe from the rocker cover leaking down 

no idea on cost( haven't done one in at least 10yrs)
but as for lash adjustment, do the bolts up tight, there is no adjustment without shims or grinding posts or custom pushrods(not needed if everything is stock)
there's a torque setting in the book. someone on here should have a book(i don't anymore)

I’m going to give it a try one last time, I’m going to get a new rocker and push rod as they both stuffed, I have all new lifters in the box. Any easy way to bleed the lifters before I put them in? And also a way to check everything is running smoothly without the rocker cover on? If anyone has the correct torque for the rocker arm bolts please message them through, cheers! Will keep posted! 

I’ve read on other forums that people do them to 34-35 nm. Just test your torque wrench is operating properly first though because I was doing mine up on my crossflow and the bastard didn’t click therefore I stripped the alloy thread out of the rocker pedestal 🤬

Being EFI the rocker cover will have to be back on for the motor to run. EFI xflows are incredibly sensitive to what air enters the motor - and gasket leaks or non sealed areas and the motor will run rough. You can't even have the oil cap off with the motor running.

It'd be worth checking how everything looks with the rocker cover off and turning the motor over by hand a few times though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Any easy way to bleed the lifters before I put them in?

Last time I had to bleed a couple down to check pushrod length, I pulled them out and put each one in a vice with a block of wood on the face and a low grade bolt in the pushrod cup. It takes quite a bit of force on the vice to get them to bleed, and you have to go very slowly. You'll see a few drops of oil spill out and then the plunger will bottom out.... Doneski!

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

i remember soaking my lifters in a icecream container of oil overnight, i did see them bubble for a short while, but i doubt they did much..

they should self bleed within a very short time. 

Chris is correct regarding running with the rocker cover off.. the dipstick has a seal on it and needs to be pushed down to seal.. they can be very sensitive but they seem to work well when everything is working right 

Cheers for the feedback all, I’m going to soak the lifter in a bucket so they can at least get some oil into them, then I should just chuck and tourney everything back to gether or crank car by hand first? What would be best? 

Sorry I thought you meant bleed-down. To bleed up, I put them in a container of oil and push the plunger in on each one a few times until you feel it firm up.

Once the cam and lifters are installed don't turn the engine at all. You'll wipe the cam lube off the lifters. Instead, get a 5/16" (or 8mm) socket on an extension and spin the oil pump using a drill. Once you start to see oil coming out of one or two rockers, you know the engine is pretty well primed.

Once the cam and lifters are installed don't turn the engine at all. You'll wipe the cam lube off the lifters. Instead, get a 5/16" (or 8mm) socket on an extension and spin the oil pump using a drill. Once you start to see oil coming out of one or two rockers, you know the engine is pretty well primed.

I was meaning if an existing lifter had been taken off an already ran in cam.

If all new, as Gerg says, don't turn over by hand.

I found a wiped lobe on a cam in my EFI xflow just by wiggling the rockers and seeing one was way too loose.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How about doing rocker arms up tho ,,?

There's no adjustment on standard pedestal type so just tighten them down to spec and away you go. Sometimes a lifter or two might have over-pumped, holding a couple of valves open but it will just misfire for a few seconds and bleed back down to normal.

I don’t want to sound like a smart arse but I think dex might have been suggesting that the motor should be turned over so that when pulling the rockers down that it’s not fighting valve spring tension. That’s just the way I understood what he was saying as previous conversation was that the motor shouldn’t be turned over too much without oil being properly primed up