LJDB

Xflow turbo dropped 2 cylinders

Ok guys my old trusty xflow turbo started to develop lot of blowby and started to miss under light load. Check comp cylinder 2 and 5 are low. Check leak down and it was coming from the crankcase. Pulled the head off and no major signs of a head gasket failure. Engine hasn't been together all that long so gasket still look newish. Block still in car and the Pistons and bores show no signs of wear. Is there another test I can do before a full pull down to check the Pistons and rings. I've blown a head gasket in my previous high comp na setup and the sypmtoms are the same.

has it burned an exhaust valve? 

valve seat recession, sticking valve.. 

if the head is off. what's the ridge like on top of the bore.. if decent, it might have broken a ring if no ridge and no scores in the bore i'd lean towards cracked head, burned valves, etc.(head issues) unless the cam is wiped and no inlet lift on those cyls.

Verdict is in. Cracked Pistons between top and bottom compression rings. 28cc mahle Pistons in the bin. It was fun while it lasted. Just had a clutch turn up for it from xelisty. I've got another bottom end here but the Pistons have the large cut out in the oil ring groove. Better than nothing I suppose.

Data logger looked good although I was fattening it up when coming on boost. I'm using a xf efi inlet and have heard they have distribution issues so maybe that was  the cause. Clean side of piston is the inlet sidekqWuK22.jpgim a little disappointed as all the other piston I have look like this and I'm not sure how they will go.yxzrsaQ.jpg

U can see why i was trying to fatten it up when coming on boost. I had taken a heap of timing out of it aswell. This was done by road tuning not on a dyno.

It's far too lean under boost, I'd be aiming for mid 11s under boost. It comes on around 1600rpm and you're in the 13s somewhere then getting leaner again into 14s 😲. Wow no wonder it pinged

This log is from early on when i first got the data logger working. As i said i was in the process of fattening it up when coming on boost. Id say the damage was already done. The base tune was already in the chip and apart from maybe twice there was no audible pinging. I suppose me being impatient and not waiting till i could log a/f to give it a thrashing wouldnt have helped the process. 

Spark plugs showed good colour, no audible pinging and a bump up in fuel pressure for good measure gave me confidence it was ok. I don't have a problem admitting fault. I had planned to use a well used 250 as a guinea pig but went with this one instead. I've done everything to this car from front to back and there have been lots of ups and downs. If it was easy we probably wouldnt bother or I'd put a Barra in. Aleast it was only a set of plugs and didn't go completely boom

Rnd 2 starting shorty. Just finished putting in a used 86da, .030 22cc ACL duralite pistons, backyard ported open Chamber xe efi head. Comp is around 9.1-9.2 with a different NA cam with more overlap. Hooked up the knock sensor into the front head bolt the same a late efi Xf. Il take it easy with this one till the tune is fat as I want it to last the summer.