Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

BW/51 GEARBOX 1992 3 SPEED

I took this out of my ute and gave it all a good clean up,looks good and is 100 complete,i reckon this is good alternitive to a c4 as ive heard these are much stronger than the 35/40 model.QVcYd3kg_o.jpg

Should check the O ring in the first and reverse servo pot , whilst its open . 
Hey dean im playing swap the ea bw51 box with older xd bellhousing we know that fits but what about the extension housing only difference is the later 51 has a ball shape cast into it but still looks like will work on the std xf crossmember because its flat yeah ?a16fa0724fe0c0615f84ea9f148dda0b.jpg9a171f8894a84e3aaf7077d5944c1162.jpg

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Hey dean im playing swap the ea bw51 box with older xd bellhousing we know that fits but what about the extension housing only difference is the later 51 has a ball shape cast into it but still looks like will work on the std xf crossmember because its flat yeah ?a16fa0724fe0c0615f84ea9f148dda0b.jpg9a171f8894a84e3aaf7077d5944c1162.jpg

All cleaned up and ready for the tranny shop to check it over i found out the rear extension housing will work with normal xf crossmember also does the converter need studs or bolts ? To fix to the flexplate 3d113bc65d6ce1a91edc4a277813694f.jpgaf6ff5d7e6e41305df567e0c8f0ba40c.jpgffd4b0842538cca371f62f2e35b845db.jpg

15 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

Hey dean im playing swap the ea bw51 box with older xd bellhousing we know that fits but what about the extension housing only difference is the later 51 has a ball shape cast into it but still looks like will work on the std xf crossmember because its flat yeah ?

I'm fairly sure i swapped the extension housing also.. but can't remember. you'll need to fit the carby kickdown cable though i think which needs the pan off 

i think if you leave the current extension housing on, you could use either gearbox mounts, might need to drill a hole in the middle of the cross member for the EA one.

one of the benefits of the C4 was shorter first gear ratio (i thought?) and possibly sapping less power or multiplying it better.. been a VERY VERY long time since i'd heard about it.
i would have used a BW51 because i got it for free.. if i was spending $150 on one i'd have probably found a C4 instead but i assume anything pre EB these days would be rare

its very light ,my ute had 1 of these when i got it and the only thing i kept was the rare 3 speed plastic shifter surround,i want to send the converter to a shop and get 2200 2500 stall ,i have heard it can be done yeah ?

4 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

i want to send the converter to a shop and get 2200 2500 stall ,i have heard it can be done yeah ?

suspect it will cost more than it would cost to find a C4?

i wonder whether some shit thing like a sigma BW35 converter would be equiv of high stall.

i had heard people with V8 trimatics wanting the gemini one for hi stalls. 

suspect it will cost more than it would cost to find a C4?

i wonder whether some shit thing like a sigma BW35 converter would be equiv of high stall.

i had heard people with V8 trimatics wanting the gemini one for hi stalls. 
There is a place here in brizzy that can do mine or a new one,also ea 2 to ed and ef to el and so on they also do a new std one for xd to ea 1 for $170 ,that sigma thing is interesting but just for simple fit including shifter the bw51 is hard to go past and all my speedo drives and wiring make it even easier the c4 bell is cast iron and this one is alloy

There is a place here in brizzy that can do mine or a new one,also ea 2 to ed and ef to el and so on they also do a new std one for xd to ea 1 for $170 ,that sigma thing is interesting but just for simple fit including shifter the bw51 is hard to go past and all my speedo drives and wiring make it even easier the c4 bell is cast iron and this one is alloy

Here is the 4.o bellhousing i believe in the future this will be like a rare itemb509913cbd4a4e295ec577f2086fc350.jpg

5 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

Here is the 4.o bellhousing i believe in the future this will be like a rare item

already rare.. 

but who'd want one?

already rare.. 
but who'd want one?
That Chrysler guy in sa does a b/w 35 that handles 350hp i found it on his website for $4k

43 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

That Chrysler guy in sa does a b/w 35 that handles 350hp i found it on his website for $4k

probably why there's TH400 and C4 bell housings for Barra's 
what's the built 4speed auto BTR cost? i'd rather have overdrive for that money

probably why there's TH400 and C4 bell housings for Barra's 
what's the built 4speed auto BTR cost? i'd rather have overdrive for that money

But getting a btr to work without ecu and stuff is very difficult i have read