XFtoXE

BW-35 3 speed knocking noise

Hi guys

The problem I have in my xe 250 cross flow & bw-35 auto is a loud knocking when I accelerate round a corner.

But not all the time. Cruising at 100k's no noise.

I'm thinking maybe torque converter bolts loose. Is it possible to check/tighten the bolts without dropping the tranny out.

Any help appreciated.

easy to check torque converter bolts. remove inspection cover and you'll see at least one, tighten it enough and the engine will rotate enough to get to the next one and third one (using good fitting socket) 

sure its not a buggered rear control arm bush(lower one) the make a decent clunk if you back off and floor it again when stuffed.. aka going around a corner and giving it some

Thanks I'll check the rear bushes tomorrow 

Where is the inspection plate? I know where it is on a FMX & C4, but BW 35 is not removable. Appears to be one piece.

If that makes sense.

Definitely removable. Undo the front lower bolts on the front of the gearbox (below engine sump level) and the inspection plate should fall off - or at least be moveable.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks for that came off with a bit of persuasion, but all bolts on the torque convertor are tight.

Forgot to mention it's a ute, but all rear suspension is good and tight.

Could it be a engine knock? It's only a intermittent noise on acceleration but not in neutral 

36 minutes ago, XFtoXE said:

Thanks for that came off with a bit of persuasion, but all bolts on the torque convertor are tight.

Forgot to mention it's a ute, but all rear suspension is good and tight.

Could it be a engine knock? It's only a intermittent noise on acceleration but not in neutral 

check conrol arm bushes, even castor ones up front etc. gear box mount etc

2 hours ago, XFtoXE said:

Thanks for those ideas, but all appear to be ok. To me anyway.

Booked it into Pedders for a check tomorrow and i'll let you know if they find the problem.

see if they can SHOW you whats buggered, after all, they have a NO BULL policy.. however i've been skeptical of late how good they are these days

they are well known for their $2000 quotes to replace everything "worn" that is still very servicable

Well for $28 the Pedders check was good value. Turned out to be the LH eye bolt was loose, and they tightened it for FREE.

But the rest of the check ranging from adjusting wheel bearings $40 to various worn bushes added up to more than the ute is worth.

Cheers and thanks again.