Sign in to follow this  
xhadyboy

V8 Hydraulic pedal box

Hey Guys

I have been offered a v8 hyd pedal box and clutch master cylinder from a 5.8 XD.

Are These  a bit hard to come by ? and will it suit the  Xe for a  4.1 to clevo swap down the track ?

I don't quite get what the difference is between hydraulic and cable. I managed to make my 6 cyl cable pedal box into a hydraulic one just by pulling out the brake pedal shaft and putting in the longer one that the clutch pedal pivots on. It was one of the easier parts of the V8 conversion.

If it's for an earlier type (say XB) that has that over-centre coil spring built in, then fair enough, I can see the difference.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

you still have to find a suitable pedal shaft, and does the cable clutch pedal pin fit the hydraulic master rod? don't think so.

most people don't have tools to do it at home, a simple bolt in pedal box that works is one of the cheaper parts of the conversion. finding clutch, flywheel, bell, fork, slave cyl, and starter spacer was pretty hard when i did My clevo to manual conversion 20yrs ago..

you still have to find a suitable pedal shaft, and does the cable clutch pedal pin fit the hydraulic master rod? don't think so.
most people don't have tools to do it at home, a simple bolt in pedal box that works is one of the cheaper parts of the conversion. finding clutch, flywheel, bell, fork, slave cyl, and starter spacer was pretty hard when i did My clevo to manual conversion 20yrs ago..
True, I pilfered both the pedal and the pedal shaft out of my XB to get her running. I totally wasn't going to pull out the pedal box so I ended up having to cut a bit of the heater ducting that was in the way when putting the shaft in.

I did the conversion 4 years ago so I forget if the cable pedal pivot stayed or not. I think i might have ground it off.

The cable pedal is completely wrong for a hydraulic setup. The pivot and pin are in opposite positions for each. One pedal pulls while the other pushes. The pedal pivot is the same diameter for both though (5/8" or 16mm) so you could cut and shut a cable pedal if handy with a welder.

27 minutes ago, xhadyboy said:

As usual knowledge on here you just don't see in the shops anymore, thanks lads

Now to find the 351...... to be continued.

that's the easy part, F100 wrecker in Carrum had them as running for $550 recently .. he's starting to pull the heads off them first now to check if they are standard bore(gets more money for the block that way) you have to ring him, or go there.. he's a bit weird lol, Jayson is his name, pretty much the price is the price, he's turns stuff over fast, so you could probably say for eg, ring me back when you get one , i want a good running 351, i'll give you a bit extra if it has a holley etc? had top loader bellhousings there but not sure how they go for fitting other boxes. 
worth calling him anyway.. he freights stuff all over oz also. seemed to have a fair amount of BA ish stuff also for some reason 

just found his link to good runner 351s, $1200.. as apposed to complete worn out one for $550 maybe ?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carrum-downs/engine-engine-parts-transmission/ford-351-cleveland-eagles-/1163004503

Re: toploader bellhousings

Better off getting the right one as it's a bit of a headache drilling/tapping for the different bolt patterns. If needed though, some single rail housings can't be converted to toploader or T5 without shitloads of mods (mounting face too short). You might be able to go the other way though, still with some mods. I used a toploader bell to make a t5 housing.

I am an old fart and back in the day toploaders were the ducks guts cause that's all that was about.

The Xe lives out in the hills so its always a 1/2 hr to  3/4 hr on the 110 kph highways to most car events.

So is the t5 a better option, that way we don't have to tow a bowser behind us ? 

As far as gearboxes go, i don't rate T5s that well. They have a baulky shift and don't handle big grunt for their size. The only reason why I've put one behind my clevo is that I had it already and it would handle the moderate torque of the 302. I don't think one would live behind a 351 unless it was a T5Z with all the good bits inside.

I would stick with the toploader and use tall diff gears to keep the highway rpm down. Close ratio would keep things on the boil but at the expense of a slower takeoff.

Otherwise, you'll need to fork out for a TKO or T56 conversion. Both worth more than either of our cars lol.

i'd run a rebuilt T5, of the 3 i blew up with crossflows, all had over 250,000km and none were the later world class one(EF and EL?) 

unless you keep the 2.77 or 2.92, highway revs will be above 2500rpm.. depends what you can live with( i ran a rebuilt 6cyl Single rail behind my 351 with 2.92 gears, after blowing up 3 worn out ones in 3 weeks lol.. 351s have some torque apparently)