Server maintenance Read more... ×
Michael Charalambous

Main bearings

hey guys need to fix my rear main seal so thought while im there may aswell do my main bearings. I bought same size bearings but different brand in the box there are 2 large style bearings not to sure where they go? also with changing bearings is there anything to worry about floating the crank and different tolerances in the bearings?

2 of the bearings go in the centre cap to locate the crank. Forget what the call them. thrust bearing or something like that.

Check for scoring on the crank. if its scored it may need machining.

Thats about the limit of my knowledge! :rolleyes:

Use Plastigauge to double-check clearance. After that, lube each bearing (not the outside!) and each time you torque one cap down, spin the crank to make sure nothing's gone tight.

Crank end clearance without a dial gauge or feeler gauges can be at least felt by levering the crank back and forth and listening/feeling for a little clunk. End clearance isn't hugely critical and it's best to be loose rather than than tight (in this case lol)

Take a few more moments to do these checks as the alternative could be much more painful.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Yep, all good advice. ^ ^ ^

Can use 2 long scredrivers to pry against the main caps and the crank webs to make the crank go back and forth. Should hear a little clunk, can use a dial indicator on the crank snout if ya got one. Careful not to damage the sides of that bearing ya have in your mitts. Thats the thrust faces, they control crank 'float'. Bend one, and you'll have no movement in the crank, back and forth. Assemble with cam lube (or thick Gear oil, in a pinch. )

Most important..!!   Clean, clean and clean. Wash your hands, clean rags, clean oil, close the shed doors, blah, blah, blah................. :D