Sign in to follow this  
351XD_Fairmont

Sand blasted manifold

Hey guys I recently sent my x-celerator intake to a mate to be sand blasted and he blasted the machined surfaces, I had taped them up but he somehow mistakenly removed the tape and blasted it although inside was untouched, so my question is whether there is a way I can smooth out these surfaces myself or if I need to at all?

Just sandblasting wont cause any issue to the surface, usually they are machined with a slightly coarse finish for the gasket to 'grab' onto. 

Clean up with Prep wash, or Acetone and slap some goo on there, all good. Give it a good wash inside and out, maybe with a Gerni, make sure you at least blow it down with air, to remove all traces of sand.  Don't wont to suck that shit into the engine. 

Please make sure you wash every last spec of sand and debris out of it. A mate of mine got his intake manifold powder coated on a commodore v8 and all was sweet till he gave it a couple of big revs and she sucked sand into the cylinders and shagged the whole block. Apparently there was a misunderstanding between the powder coaters and the mechanic that fitted the manifold and the mechanic didn’t know it was going to be blasted before powder coating. After a big blew with the mechanic I think my mate had to pay for labour for the repairs

Yeah I've cleaned it multiple times to make certain every last particle has been washed out of it just wasn't sure on the mating surfaces but if its all good then I'll leave them like they are. I'll probably chuck it in mums dishwasher when she's not looking just to make sure everythings completely clean 

+1 for the Hylomar. Makes the gaskets easy to remove later too, especially on alloy. Rough finish not a problem, ideal actually. A mirror-smooth surface is not necessary or even ideal.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk