Server maintenance Read more... ×
dex

Lights off

Is there a kit or something that shuts the lights off like on modern cars , to suit our ,,,,ahem ,, older vehicles,,? 

Just the lights on when walking to the back door at night would be a handy feature,,,,,

not as if some dickhead had left his lights on today , only to come back to a " click click tick " moment ,,

not pointing fingers at anyone ..

i fit a $5.95?(jaycar)12V buzzer to all My cars now,  just pick a 12v light feed(+) and another wire that is 12V ign on and goes to earth when ign is off...

only catch, is if you have the lights on with ign off for a reason the buzzer makes an annoying noise..

i used to fit this one which jaycar don't stock(think dick smith electronics used to stock it) the beeper fades out after 10 seconds so you can keep the lights on if wanted

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flashing-Headlight-Headlamp-Light-Warning-Alarm-Alert-Reminder-Buzzer-Beeper-Car/380502293676?epid=1105509746&hash=item5897b43cac:g:qnIAAOxy3zNShNgz

13 hours ago, dex said:

Not the types ,,

intentionally leave lights on , to allow getting to the house ,,

then after a time ,, they turn off to save battery . 

As modern equivalent 

You mean "Follow Me Home" headlights, the BA onwards had that function. Leave your headlights on when you left the car, and the headlights would stay on for a set amount of time (between 2-5min) before turning off automatically, or the owner could trigger it themselves by hitting the lock button on their fob. My FGX has it: despite my not actually having a driveway it's still handy.

Unsure of they are any conversion kits for older vehicles, as many older cars tend to complain (ie: play an audible alarm) if you intentionally turn off the engine with the headlights still on (or could be upgraded to do so, providing on of those Jaycar kits); a conversion kit would have to bypass all that and then still power the headlights off the battery on a timer before killing them. An autosparky might know more, but there's the danger of letting the headlights drain your battery if something doesn't work right....

You mean "Follow Me Home" headlights, the BA onwards had that function. Leave your headlights on when you left the car, and the headlights would stay on for a set amount of time (between 2-5min) before turning off automatically, or the owner could trigger it themselves by hitting the lock button on their fob. My FGX has it: despite my not actually having a driveway it's still handy.

Look your door with the key manually, and then the car will be locked and lights stay on for their pre-determined time. Took me a while to realise that in my FG.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Valvebouncer said:

I’m listening.

Well first we need to find out operating requirements for the circuit.

So you want to turn off the car. Shut off the headlights switch but have them on a delay, get out of the car, and lock it, and have the headlights stay on for a predetermined time before shutting off automatically.

You only want this to happen when the vehicle is NOT running.

and you only want it to happen at night.

I would recommend the easiest way to do this would be have a parallel circuit controlling the headlight relay, that operates off a momentary switch. So, all the cars systems operate normally. You turn off the headlights, and they turn off. Before you get out of the car, you push the momentary switch which activates the delay circuit, turning the headlights on for the predetermined time.
Alternatively, if you push the switch before you turn the headlights turn off, the headlights will remain on, as the parallel circuit keeps the relay energized regardless of the position of the headlight switch.

Ill just regurgitate something out of randomly chosen components. This would need to be bread boarded (prototyped) to ensure it works before building it and fitting to the car.

You'll need to switch the relay to be negative triggered. Or use a separate relay in parallel with the factory headlight relay.
A 10kohm potientiometer and a 1kohm 1/4w resister in series, and both paralleled with a 10uf electrolytic capacitor, this makes the delay circuit, varying the pot will vary the delay. One end is hooked to ground. the other is hooked to both the base of a bc555 NPN transistor, and a momentary switch. The other end of the momentary switch is to VCC (12v) to trigger the circuit. The collector is connected to the relay negative, via a diode (may be omitted depending on the final circuit) and the emitter is connected to earth.

here is some more info. i just did a google search. https://www.homemade-circuits.com/simple-delay-timer-circuits-explained/