TUFZJ

Fuel filter position for Cleveland

Hi guys.

I am fixing up a ZJ fairlane 302 as a project. It has been running on LPG only for a few years and wont start on petrol.

I want to get the petrol system up and running again. I suspect the fuel pump is shot so I have bought a new one, the fuel filter seems to have been removed for a lock off solenoid. I wanted to know where people put the fuel filters? after the fuel pump before the carby or before the fuel pump?

Also is the fuel line recommended to be 3/8 or 5/16 in the engine bay?

Any recommendations on fuel pump or will those cheap clear ryco inline ones do?

I thought they were after the pump up near the carby but it can’t hurt to put one before the pump. If it has an original thermoquad they have a filter built into the inlet.

Most mechanical fuel pumps you buy these days from repco or supercheap are absolute garbage , don’t waste your money. If you can buy one from a reputable performance brand, just a std spec one for the sake of reliability.
If it hasn’t run on Petrol for a while I’d be flushing out the tank, a fuel filter will only take out so much junk.

Thanks for the reply. I have already ordered one from eBay just yo get it running. That will do for now until I build an engine up. I saw plenty of pictures with them before the carby but I thought it would make more sense before the pump? 

The carby is a holley 600 so not sure about filter or if it even works.

I siphoned some fuel through the fuel lines and it came out pretty clean. I might run it for a bit then change the filter over quickly. 

I like to put them between the pump and the carb, a fuel pump can push fuel through a filter easier than it can pull fuel through one, I have had a car strand me for that berry reason before and it was a real bitch to diagnose when idleing the car would behave fine at highway speed it was fine, try to pass someone or drive with a little enthusiasm the car would die,then you would spend forever trying to get it started again

I've been caught out the other way with my Corty, with a bit of shit wedging itself in one of the check valves in the fuel pump. No valve closey, no pumpy-pumpy.

On my wags I run 2 filters: an EFI type before the pump (out of a Rodeo or something, has nipples in and out), and a standard Ryco type after. The EFI one flows well, so poses little restriction for the pump to suck through. It's mounted at the lowest point under the passenger floor, making it self-priming to some degree.

It's best to run a filter after the pump regardless, as I've seen bits of rubber hose break down internally and find their way into the fuel system.

So far, touch wood, I've had zero filter or pump problems. Carby is always clean as a whistle.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Stick a Z14 in the rubber line after the pump. Or a Z92 (I think) has a 90* bend at the top. As stated, those small square pumps, are 'push' pumps not 'pull', so they wont pull fuel up from the tank, if you mount it above the fuel level in the tank.  Mount it down low in the engine bay, EG: the chassis rail, or even better just out side the fuel tank.  Change it ONCE A YEAR. Fuel these days is full of crap. Waste of time going 3/8" line unless you're going to do the whole line from the tank. If you do, you'll need a different filter with 3/8" in and outs.

Awesome information. You guys are fantastic. The pump should arrive tonight so I will have it running today I hope, unless the carby leaks fuel everywhere

Got it up and running today guys. Thanks again for the help. Fuel filter worked a treat. Little weeping from the car by but I will look at rebuilding it now that I know it's a good one. 

9 hours ago, TUFZJ said:

I will have to take one, how are people uploading stuff now. Still photobucket with the new rules?

photobucket is dead to me(probably most people)

i am using imgur.com now, pretty straight forward.. most use the tapatalk app on the phone and direcly upload(somehow)

youtube for video is easy.