Jafia

NC Stereo Wiring and Plugs

Ok, so I've finally decided to get of my butt and actually install a functioning stereo in my old girl, after 18 monhs of no stereo it is finally getting to me. So today I thought I'd actually give it a go and have a look at what I could do with it...

So I found an old head unit, from one of my old cars, and looking at the plug on it, I'm not entirely sure what is happening with the wiring, old dodgy job :/ or let alone whether or not the plug will even fit the old girl and don't even get me started on the bloody anti theft screws holding the original head unit in.

So I failed miserably, need tools and from what I could gather a different plug than I have on the head unit.

Ultimately I know I need to just bite my bum and buy a new head unit, would be easier, however, having to get a new fan clutch installed and rego all in one week has broken the bank and nope, no funds, so I'd figure I'd at least see what I could do to get me through until I buy a new one... But I'm feeling a bit outta my depths here.

Does anyone here happen to know what kind of stereo plug an 1994 NC Fairlane has and whether or not I could get a converter to fit it to an old *cough* very old Sony Stereo unit? Pictures if possible would be good for me to be able to wrap the old brain around it, I've tried google, but that's proving somewhat of a headache too....

TIA

Ok, so after further investigation, and the rightt tools, I am a few steps closer to finally having a stereo.

I decided to make the 50km trip to the nearest car parts store, the joys of country living, athough it did give me a chance to test the new fan clutch and I'm thrilled, she's back to her normal cool self. Here's a pic of her standard running temp at 100km/h in 30 degree weather with the air con:

iV8v8ynl.jpg

And people wonder why I start getting worried when the needle goes to half way,

So anyway, I found out the plug type I have in the Fairlane:

bvDYgcyl.jpg

Figure it might help someone who was wondering.

So I've ordered in a few parts to convert the current plug in my car so I can just 'plug and play' another stereo, although, I'm thinking I am going to need to buy a new stereo... Bum... At least I'm a few steps closer to having a stereo installed.

Another interesting thing... The more I delve into the bits on the old girl... oh that sounds rude :P The more things I notice that a factory standard but somewhat different to the general standard, almost like the original purchaser added on a lot of factory extras, if that's even possible for the Fairlanes considering it is the luxury model...

was it getting hot on the highway and caused by clutch fan hub? i just heard this could be the issue with My gemini too.. was skeptical..

didn't have a clue on the plugs though for radio

14 minutes ago, deankdx said:

was it getting hot on the highway and caused by clutch fan hub? i just heard this could be the issue with My gemini too.. was skeptical..

didn't have a clue on the plugs though for radio

Yep, the faster I'd go the hotter she'd get and the warmer weather didn't help either.

I had an almost identical problem this time last year and the my mechanic at the time contributed ito to clogged radiator fins, which cleaning them out fixed the issue. I have a new mechanic now, when I took it in he diagnosed the problem straight away. Now I hear a slightly different sound in my car, a fan that is actually working at full capacity :P Also makes the car sound meaner lol