Bigflop

Budget boost rebuild, pistons and rings

I have an el engine thats in good nick but needs new rings so was wondering what rings and possibly pistons people have used or what ones to steer clear of? And any tips anyone can think of would be really appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you have a el engine you should get some xflow rods and put some arp rod bolts in it ..

People will say the newer ohc are stronger, but it's really not true ..

I've always used acl pistons and stock cast rings ..

Use a multilayer steel head gasket .

And apart from that unless you plan on forge pistons and billet rods I wouldn't get to worry about any thing else .

Maybe a different cam would help .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While your asking, anyone got any suggestions for head bolts to suit the sohc 4.0? I've been told to steer clear of Nason, the only other over the counter ones I've seen readily available are permaseal. I'd rather not go to head studs because they aren't really necessary in my case, a bit of overkill plus costly.
Suggestions?

Gennie Ford ones are a good shot, you can usually still get them as ba are the same make sure they are au or later

I just spoke to ford, AU ones are obsolete and they reckon BA head bolts are different. Bugger!

2 hours ago, Bigflop said:

Interesting idea on using xflow rods. Ive already got a jmm dev5 cam ect and au steel head gasket. Cheers

would the Dev5 cam be good for a turbo? i wouldn't have thought so if was for NA initially

Interesting idea on using xflow rods. Ive already got a jmm dev5 cam ect and au steel head gasket. Cheers

I have a mate who makes about 300kw in a daily xg .. using those rods . Much Cheeper than trying to fit arp to e series rods ..

What's the specs of a dev5 ??

While your asking, anyone got any suggestions for head bolts to suit the sohc 4.0? I've been told to steer clear of Nason, the only other over the counter ones I've seen readily available are permaseal. I'd rather not go to head studs because they aren't really necessary in my case, a bit of overkill plus costly.
Suggestions?

Check out mace engineering .

I have a mate who makes about 300kw in a daily xg .. using those rods . Much Cheeper than trying to fit arp to e series rods ..

What's the specs of a dev5 ??

Im not sure tbh! I brought the cam kit about 6 or 7 years ago.

As for its performance while being boosted i dont know either. Ive heard they work well together but i guess its up to the tuner to make it all work in the end?

Im not sure tbh! I brought the cam kit about 6 or 7 years ago.

As for its performance while being boosted i dont know either. Ive heard they work well together but i guess its up to the tuner to make it all work in the end?

Not really a tuner thing overly .. stock cam will be okay ... but maybe after you get it running / tuned then put the cam in and see how it affects the cars performance..

I just had a cam done for me , basically high end big boost custom grind is the only way

Mid boost there is probably some cams that will work pretty well off the shelf , it's just all playing around .

Not really a tuner thing overly .. stock cam will be okay ... but maybe after you get it running / tuned then put the cam in and see how it affects the cars performance..

I just had a cam done for me , basically high end big boost custom grind is the only way

Mid boost there is probably some cams that will work pretty well off the shelf , it's just all playing around .

Yea fair enough, cams already in the head and the way i see it im not really worried where it makes boost ect with such a light car it would still be fun to drive with out turbo haha.. but yea donno just gotta focus on an engine.. looks like i might just build one.

What turbo are you running? You don't need a 'turbo cam' with a modern turbo and it's sized right.

The turbo cam will help you if exhaust back pressure is excessive, otherwise cam requirements will be pretty much the same as NA.

What turbo are you running? You don't need a 'turbo cam' with a modern turbo and it's sized right.
The turbo cam will help you if exhaust back pressure is excessive, otherwise cam requirements will be pretty much the same as NA.
Fg turbo.

Fg turbo.

What do you know about the cam other than its name? Do you have specs on it?

Do you have a vernier timing gear on it?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

On 10/10/2017 at 0:54 PM, Valvebouncer said:

Suggestions?

I'd always use ARP head studs... IMO, it's the best $350 you can spend on an OHC.
Even for standard engines.
And you only have to buy them once.

With Nasons, you need to know your part numbers - they have cheap quality stuff, and also expensive stuff too.
Unless a person knows to ask, you'll get the cheap stuff by default.
http://nason.com.au/suppliers/

Nasons also used to have a sister company, which does engine rebuild equipment and parts -
https://www.premiermachinery.com.au/about-us

I'd always use ARP head studs... IMO, it's the best $350 you can spend on an OHC.
Even for standard engines.
And you only have to buy them once.
With Nasons, you need to know your part numbers - they have cheap quality stuff, and also expensive stuff too.
Unless a person knows to ask, you'll get the cheap stuff by default.
http://nason.com.au/suppliers/
Nasons also used to have a sister company, which does engine rebuild equipment and parts -
https://www.premiermachinery.com.au/about-us

As previously stated Dave, they aren't necessary and I'll do the job properly so the head doesn't have to come off again. If decent bolts were good enough for ford the get over 300kw out of a Barra and last 700,000km in a taxi then revised well made bolts are good enough for my ute.

What kind of company that has 2 subsidiaries, one that can make bolts and one that attempts to? No thanks, I'll stick with blackxt suggestion for mace engineering, the more people I ask the better they sound.

What do you know about the cam other than its name? Do you have specs on it?

Do you have a vernier timing gear on it?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

No and yes it has an adjustable cam gear.