Unlucky8Ball

Should a single rail shifter spring back to middle?

Hi all,

Got a single rail to do a manual swap, but have never used this gearbox before.

It goes through the gears fine, but the shifter doesn't spring back to the middle, say from between 3rd and 4th, or out of reverse.

Is this normal, or is something wrong here?

Cheers

i would guess no.. 

been so long i cant remember, but the spring on top is for the PUSH DOWN for reverse gate.. 

they are often as sloppy as a stick in a bowl of sand due to the selector shaft bushes and the horseshoe bush most have.

Across the forward gates no, but on a fresh shifter you should need to push down on the stick a tad to get over to reverse (that's the lockout). On a worn one you should still feel a little step going into it. If not, you could find yourself getting reverse when taking off at the lights. It should also pop back to neutral from the reverse gate with a little help. All this is done inside the shifter with a step machined on the side of the shift knuckle that matches a cast-in hardened steel bar inside the shift housing. Pull one apart and you'll see.

Same goes for in and out of gears. You should feel a noticeable pull back to neutral after an initial nudge out of gear. Over time, the gear detent wears on the shift rail, or the spring goes a bit weak. To restore a bit of shift feel, you can shim out the spring a tad or file a deeper groove where the detent ball runs.

Single rails are a great box, very forgiving if you know all their quirks. Just need that 5th gear is all

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Cheers, had a look at my gearbox and it probably works like it should, though to get into reverse doesn't need much of a push, more of a gentle nudge.

The Gregorys manual has bugger all detail about this gearbox, is there a better service manual out there?

I think Max Ellery's has some detailed sections on both single rails and top loaders. Those manuals have some re-printed chapters from the OEM ones.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk