77xcfalcon

76da block dizzy options

Hi every one. I am currently rebuilding my 77 xc. I would like to keep my 76da block as it is matching numbers to my car. Parts I have collected so far are c1 alloy head, efi manifold and ecu. 21/2 inch exhaust and extractors. The motor is not long rebuilt with a towing cam. I am wondering what options I have for a distributor that will fit in my old block and still work with efi. I have the dizzy that came with the head of a 84da motor but the shaft at the bottom for the oil pump drive is smaller. Has anybody done this before and have any ideas. Any info would be really appreciated. Thanks Darrin.

Ahh finally someone else doing up a ropesealer lol

When i first rebuilt mine for lpg i fitted a new xe solid state dizzy. Did 20 odd thousand km's without issue. I dont remember modifying anthing but was years ago.

Have the old points dizzy in my toolbox at work and the solidstate one in the shed, will bring points unit home tomorrow night and have a measure up and compare. With pics and part numbers :)

Ahh finally someone else doing up a ropesealer lol
When i first rebuilt mine for lpg i fitted a new xe solid state dizzy. Did 20 odd thousand km's without issue. I dont remember modifying anthing but was years ago.
Have the old points dizzy in my toolbox at work and the solidstate one in the shed, will bring points unit home tomorrow night and have a measure up and compare. With pics and part numbers

Yep it's a good bolt in upgrade. It was very popular 15 years ago. The distributor you are referring to is a pulse generating one with a Bosch BIM024 module on the side of it. Super reliable setup, easy to install and the modules are cheap.

there must be a thicker shaft elec one (same type as the 1983 ish one) as aftermarket because i found one on Daves 302 in the F100.. it wouldn't fit his black motor. 

there must be a thicker shaft elec one (same type as the 1983 ish one) as aftermarket because i found one on Daves 302 in the F100.. it wouldn't fit his black motor. 

Yep that's in clevelands, use a 1/2 inch drill bit to check. It'll fit in an early block down to the oil pump. Won't fit in a later block.

I assume the OP is talking crossflow engines hence the mention of a c1 head.

Early cleveland blocks are imperial dizzy shaft, the black block xd onwards are metric hence the difference(outside shaft diameter). You can run a late model dizzy in a in a early block, but a early dizzy wil not fit a late block.

Dale

Yeah I'm talking about 6 cylinder crossflow. i have thought about putting the smaller late model dizzy in and seeing what happens. The oil pump shaft is the same size but the outside diameter of the base of the dizzy is smaller and will be a bit of play in the block. I do have a parts car that is a 78 Xc falcon and it has some sort of electronic dizzy setup on it( been told it was of a commodore) I will go and get that today and measure the shafts of the ones I have got so I have some better info.

i've also stuck the late dissy in the early block and had no issues for a long time.. but i think these days i'd probably try the aftermarket points conversion to electric to keep the dizzy bearings and gear supported better

What ECU do you have?

You'll need to run the dizzy to match the ECU.

If it's a Ford ECU from an XF our later you'll need to run the XF type TFI distributor (grey module)

If it's the bosch ECU from an XE you'll need the dizzy with the bosch module. The one the other guys have been referring to as solid state.

You can probably run points with the bosch ECU but it'll have to be 12 volts.

If you have an aftermarket ECU then you need have a look at the manual for that. Most support TFI. But for the bosch dizzy, the black module may need to be removed from under the metal case to get spark control.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I got the efi manifold, dizzy, and ecu all from a xf Ute. The ecu is Bosch 83da 12a 651 aa. I just assumed it was eec 4 because it didn’t have a knock sensor. It was running with the larger dizzy in picture above with the smaller shaft. That dizzy is 82da 12100db. With Bosch module inside the metal cover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMG_1474.JPG
Should of known it had been messed around with by the way every thing was dodged up and the pair of underpants stuffed in the hole in the firewall that the efi loom goes through to seal it.
The ecu is Bosch and has 25 pin Bosch connecter, from reading through some other threads I’m pretty sure it is xe.

Cool. Looks like you're all over it.

I've never seen someone intentionally retrofit the jetronic efi. I'm interested in seeing your outcome.

Where are you located? I'd like to see it when you're done.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Im in springfield, Between Brisbane and Ipswich. My main aim is to get the body 100% at the moment. Just building this crossy for fun from parts that I got extremely cheap to put in the xc when the body is finished while I build the real motor. Good way to pass the time and learn a few things as this is my first crossflow. Always went for an 8 before but the more I read the more I think this car will be crossflow powered In the end.

Alrighty school holidays have slowed me down but snuck out to the shed today.

Think someone is messing with me because the drives on 4 different dizzy's are all 12.5mm.

O.E points dizzy, xe, xf est and tfi.

I think before i bought it someone must have replaced the xc dizzy with later model points dizzy.

And i never had an issue lol.

Yeah there is not much in them. I hvnt hd the chance to measure mine properly yet but the original xc one Is pretty close to 13mm. Good to know it still works with no issues, how long have you had the smaller shaft in the xc block for?