Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

PEDAL BOX HYD CONVERSION

I have been wanting to do this for a while and got around to it today,i have a xf manual pedal box that suits a cable clutch and will be converting it to hyd set up,i have the pedal box on the floor and the new kit next to it.GXo0YBMh_o.jpg

Then unclip the longer rod and tap with a hammer and the rod slides out ,keep in order the way it came out,note the right side is slotted .The new rod will need to be put on a bench grinder to make a slot .WvO8AMsn_o.jpg

do a few dummy fits to alighn the brake pedal with the sensor,you will also need to shim about 1cm with the plastic provided in the kit as the new rod provided is not the same as the one that comes out,kit comes with new hyd pedal,bushes,c clips,washes,and new adjustable master cyl rod which i strongly reckon you should use after last time a struggled for days trying to work out why i am getting no disengauagement of clutch because the rod was to short ,after fitting the adj rod it worked 1st go,althou your pedal might be sticking out a tad further than usual but we can live with that.,here is a pic of the new pedal end poking out ready to install the pedal note the old small rod that has been cut off otherwise the new one wont fit.mgBiMOAk_o.jpg

Good write up.

Any chance you could post up the distance on the hydraulic brake pedal from the center of the pin to the center of the hole where it pivots?

Would be handy to know for those who want to modify their own pedal.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

The original plastic piece is perfect length  for the brake pedal on the left,its just to the right of the pedal that you need to shim with washers or a small piece of plastic tube provided in the kit ,about 1cm but can very a few mm,i still need to shim about 1 or 2 mm to push it all together tighter,if thats what you mean kiwi-e.6AW7CaRz_o.jpg

the auto pedal box is same other than the clutch pin from the cable clutch one.. you can even see on auto ones where there is provision to mount the Mal Wood pin kit for cable manual pedal.. 

so, that will make finding a pedal box easier(cut the brake pedal down to suit the smaller rubber then)

even 10 years ago it was getting hard to find an original hyd pedal box ,last one i saw on e bay the guy wanted $400 for it,correct a auto one can be converted its just i picked up a xf one very cheap,interesting note that the factory hyd manual rod is not slotted like the 6cyl common cable ones,i got one out of a 5.8 xd years ago and it was round on the rod both sides,unsure why :D

you can do either way round the slotted hole,which is a pain in the arse if its still in the car,or just put the rod on the bench grinder and test fit a few times ,i have done 4 of these before ,by far its the esy way and less stressfull is take the peddle box out and work on it,then fit in one go .

There is also the chance that i will have to trim this small metal bracket off the end as the pedal might hit it at full press,i had this problem on the last one i did,but on an auto one i dont think this bracket is there seems to maybe support the cable .iRGSe2j3_o.jpg

c581148ad51aa31b919ac9fefcbb0dca.jpg

Sorry probably should have been more clear, was after the distance beween the two red crosses. (Distance between center of pin to center of shaft)
Thanks

I plan on being a tight arse and modyfing the 'cable clutch pedal' to suit the hydraulic setup instead of buying the kit.

That Measurement gives you the ratio you need so that the master cylinder piston travels the corect displacement in relation to the clutch pedal possition.

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

On 10/5/2017 at 5:33 PM, CHESTNUTXE said:

i was wondering what you were going on about lol i will post it later

Hey mate

Im about to do the same conversion. Any chance you still have the measurements from the centre of the pivot to the centre of the hydraulic pin 

cheers Matt 

nah m8,that was years ago,sorry,just fine tune the one you are doing up,might take a few dummy fits but once soughted hyd pedal is awsome.