Lord_fahrquhar

Der Panzerwagen

20 posts in this topic

Sooo....

I brought a turbo a while back..... with the intent of jamming it on my XF and enjoying some boost.  But then the wife, said you know you should do it legally, which technically because its an ADR37 engine is highly naughty in SA.

But anything pre 76 is fair game on the original manufacturers motor.  So this got me thinking, and she was keen for another car to add to the menagerie.  I wanted V8, she wanted a wagon, it was looking like a holden or ford wagon but people want stupid money for a v8 wagon these days.  So she said no to a Kingswood wagon (which I quite like) and cost killed anything XR to XY. (mainly because I don't like the fat arse look of the xa-xc wagons.

But she was keen on a Mercedes, mainly because she liked the Tv series hart to hart when she was a kid.  But that was an SL, and the convertible was too ostentatious for her.  And yeah a yellow convertible is shit.

So all this led to looking at the C107/R107 Mercedes.  She wanted sunroof, I wanted V8.  Match made in heaven.  

So I present this.  der panzerwagen.  On my way to Brisbane (from Perth tonight) to pick it up and jam it on a truck to Adelaide. A 450slc 2 owners 178k, some rust (but manageable), sunroof, clunk, 6 bolt main M117.986 v8 motor and 8.8 :1 compression iron block.  k-jetronic they joys of mechanical semi-electronic injection.

Plans are

Put on truck

get rust repair panels (they're easier to get than shit for a falcon surprisingly)

repaint

Add turbo

cp5249016232777637502.jpg

cp5250150405436136507.jpg

Very cool!!
I used to enjoy working on these old girls. They are so solid and smooth to drive, a turbo will wake it up nicely.
I'd pull the fuel tank and get it cleaned and flush all the lines too. The k-jetronic fuel system (aka toilet bowl ) is brilliant but after many years of dirt and dust accumulation in the tank it will wreak havoc on your fuel distributor and they are quite $$$ to repair.

Outback Jack likes this

No shit. My stepdad has one of these in the shed. UK delivered, silver with blue velour and no sunroof. Had plenty of rust taken out of the floor and had been restored already. What year is it? It is surprising how many parts are available. 

Yeah put it on a truck to Adelaide this afternoon.  Its a tank, and even with a standard exhaust sound tits.  Rides like a champ, and has a surprising amount of grip.  No feel whatsoever in the steering and thats by xf standards.

Im in two minds about whether I do a bit of work or just rego on it asap and cruise.  Does have some rust in the passenger door, RH rear fender and some spots just starting underneath.

Was kept in a shed with a tumble drier and this and the cracked Schulz means theres a bit of surface corrosion but nothing really major yet.so need a bit of wire wheel work

Outback Jack likes this

I love how older Mercs are built. So over-engineered in every area eg. they never use throttle cables, always linkages and ball joints. I did my time on Mercedes buses. Euro stuff use some weird-arse bolt sizes, so make sure your socket set has all bases covered. Autos can be fussy with oil quality so first thing to do is a flush/service. K-jet is reliable but fiddly when things start to wear out like Valvebouncer mentioned.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Valvebouncer likes this

old school ute

Have to fix a few things on the panzer

Brake hoses 

Master cyl  reservior

Tyres

seatbelt 

Tidy up some things costemtically

Then cruise

Ut then gets its roller camed crosslfowthat I've been getting bits for

Then the panzer gets floorpans and rust and paint

and then turbo...

whoosh...

so I'm right for projects for the next 18 months.

Valvebouncer and SirkWhyXF like this

Lol have to be organised the work roster changes a bit so I'm either on a plane flying to or from western oz.

Story with this cars was I flew red eye Perth to Brisbane, brought car, jumped back on plane to Adelaide that arvo.  After 8 days at the mine I work at.  So pulled about 6,500km last week.

Parts have been arriving (in a way these are easier to get bit for than an XY), so now have brake hoses, panel repair kits (pans and fenders) speedo cable indicator stalk etc.  Seatbelts I ordered from Brisbane along with the sunroof motor.

Missus is cracking jokes about the mail room in the house, not saying why have you got all this shit.  Love her.

Valvebouncer, Thom, gerg and 1 other like this

7 hours ago, Lord_fahrquhar said:

Missus is cracking jokes about the mail room in the house, not saying why have you got all this shit.  Love her.

yep, she's a keeper.....

There’s more to the story have been working on the good one for a bit so have to find some decent image host to post.  Fuck you photofucket.

the second part to the story is a parts car I acquired - an 1981 380 slc.  This has proven to be too good to wreck and so the wife has insisted this one get restored too

So one project has become two.

gerg, deankdx and Valvebouncer like this