Michael Charalambous

Rear Main Seal

hey boys my rear main seal is leaking on my 351c engines out and on the stand. I have a couple questions if i remove the end main cap to replace the seal will i have to then remove all caps and retorque them all down or am i able to just remove the one retorque it and its ok? I believe it is a the 2 part type seal has anyone got any tricks on removal and replacing the seal? any help would be greatly appreciated

Depends on the seal, as to how you go about it.  If the donk is on the stand, loosen all the main caps. 

There are 3 types of seal. The factory 2 piece 'rope' seal, this will need a pin in the main cap to stop it spinning. The aftermarket 2 piece rubber jobby, Install with 10mm sticking out on one side, opposite on the cap, so the joins don't line up. The one piece oil seal (like a timing cover seal) but requires block machining.

Rope seal must be squeezed in to the block groove, usually I use a big ass socket like a rolling pin. Can't see you doing that without removing the crank.

"May" be able to slide the oil seal in.

I just popped all the bearing caps and jacked the crank enough to allow the seal to rotate out. lubed the bearings and refitted them all. Havent had any issues at all.