Server maintenance Read more... ×
uterus

Wiring issues

1 minute ago, deankdx said:

need to be sure. not a lot of that stuff is fused well, and changing burned wires is a pain in the ass.. and can set a loom on fire(i've had a loom fire.. very bad.. and it runs next to the bonnet cable.. i have heard of people not being able to open the bonnet due to the bonnet cable getting burned.. = very bad problems..

i was sure on those 2 thats why i connected them as its the same as my f100 but everything else is different hence why im on here. but starter should be simple as also and as for that dizzy it will get sum thought or i might just put in the electronic one as thats easy.

Ok so i tried wiring up this starter today i got hold of a manual and i connected the yellow wire in my pic to the power fat wire and put that wire of relay to trigger switch on starter and im buggered if i can find the wire that goes to the ignition that you said may have been cut off. But either way i cant get it to engage when you turn the key the gearbox is in park and wiring from box is connected to wiring by firewall  so im guessing i will have to run another new  wire from the ignition?

1 hour ago, uterus said:

Ok so i tried wiring up this starter today i got hold of a manual and i connected the yellow wire in my pic to the power fat wire and put that wire of relay to trigger switch on starter and im buggered if i can find the wire that goes to the ignition that you said may have been cut off. But either way i cant get it to engage when you turn the key the gearbox is in park and wiring from box is connected to wiring by firewall  so im guessing i will have to run another new  wire from the ignition?

i might have wiring for the other type of starter motor (clapper) 

has the car got one of these on the drivers shock tower http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Falcon-Starter-Solenoid-XA-XB-XC-351-GT-GXL-LTD-P5-P6-Landau-Coupe-ZF-ZG-ZH/282599078863?hash=item41cc37bbcf%3Ag%3A1q8AAOSwUdlWdNvQ

Nah mate it does not but i just went out in the shed with a torch and found these 2 wires taped up i will post sum pics.

qSBKKDY.jpg

nirhlac.jpg

Now according to this book i just got today those wires are red and pink is startor control feed and brown and pink is startor motor relay to ignition coil+b term is this what im looking for? Brown and pink 1 has a spade bit on it and red and pink has a circle on the end. So where do they fit up to

i'm going to have to pass. 
my assumption would be red one is the trigger wire.. it may have had the clapper relay prior? hence the ring end.. no idea what the other wire is.. 

not 100% on any of this, you could ask the guys directly with XCs etc

29 minutes ago, deankdx said:

i'm going to have to pass. 
my assumption would be red one is the trigger wire.. it may have had the clapper relay prior? hence the ring end.. no idea what the other wire is.. 

not 100% on any of this, you could ask the guys directly with XCs etc

I will extend the wires tomorrow and have a little play i think.

Lol, that wiring is a disaster.

On my XB panelvan, I spent a heap of time, removing all the aftermarket stuff,
to get back to a good simple base.

I re-instated the points setup in the dizzy, and removed the aftermarket Bosch ignition module (same one you have).

Usually the red (brown?)/white wire with a spade terminal on the end, is the starter solenoid/trigger wire.
From memory, only the 351's got a remote starter solenoid.

However, some of the original alternators, ran a remote voltage regulator (as mine is supposed to have).

If it's a factory auto, there'll be an inhibitor (neutral start) switch and associated wiring.

That red wire with the pink trace and ring terminal taped with the starter solenoid wire, could be for the oil pressure switch.

The brown wire is power for the factory starter relay.

Red with a Green trace, is power for the coil from the ignition switch

5 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

Lol, that wiring is a disaster.

On my XB panelvan, I spent a heap of time, removing all the aftermarket stuff,
to get back to a good simple base.

I re-instated the points setup in the dizzy, and removed the aftermarket Bosch ignition module (same one you have).

Usually the red (brown?)/white wire with a spade terminal on the end, is the starter solenoid/trigger wire.
From memory, only the 351's got a remote starter solenoid.

However, some of the original alternators, ran a remote voltage regulator (as mine is supposed to have).

If it's a factory auto, there'll be an inhibitor (neutral start) switch and associated wiring.

That red wire with the pink trace and ring terminal taped with the starter solenoid wire, could be for the oil pressure switch.

The brown wire is power for the factory starter relay.

Red with a Green trace, is power for the coil from the ignition switch

Ok cheers mate when it gets light enough im going out to the shed again to figure this out. Any help is appreciated.

Ok so is this the thing i should have? 

AHMdWyS.jpg

TVYj7cG.jpg

I found this in my shed possibly kept it as it would have come with one of the startors i have in there that ive stripped out over time. If its what im after what wires up to it? I see it goes to the battery what would be the other wire thats cut off? Sorry if im sounding dumb. Im normally pretty cluey with this kind of thing but in my defence i normally pull it apart and put it back together not come in half way through someones destruction

1 hour ago, uterus said:

Ok so is this the thing i should have? 

AHMdWyS.jpg

TVYj7cG.jpg

I found this in my shed possibly kept it as it would have come with one of the startors i have in there that ive stripped out over time. If its what im after what wires up to it? I see it goes to the battery what would be the other wire thats cut off? Sorry if im sounding dumb. Im normally pretty cluey with this kind of thing but in my defence i normally pull it apart and put it back together not come in half way through someones destruction

that works with the other type of starter motors, you don't need it with the ones you have pictured

looks like this
s-l300.jpg

go03bll.jpg

I did it!! :) thank f#$k 

TJ6gEOs.jpg

Thankyou guys so much the wire i gound last night with the circle bit went onto the blue wire that was cut off originally of relay and spade bit went to trigger wire and then the power wire to battery plus another power wire of this relay went to positive also no wire matched up to anything in the book but hey you turn the key and startor turns the car so in my ipinion thats a win for me put in sum new wiring and tomorrows job will be to fit the extractors in they have to be fitted from underneath im assuming?

good luck with extractors.. 
i've seen instances where the engine mount needs undoing, and the engine lifted(starter motor will probably have to come out first...disconnect the battery first)

8 hours ago, deankdx said:

good luck with extractors.. 
i've seen instances where the engine mount needs undoing, and the engine lifted(starter motor will probably have to come out first...disconnect the battery first)

Yeah im thinking of just pulling the engine back out.

2 hours ago, uterus said:

Yeah im thinking of just pulling the engine back out.

may just need to lift it till the bell housing is up against the firewall(or thereabouts)

Ended up removing the engine fitred the extractors put engine back in finally got it started now to figure out why the fuel isnt getting up to carby i primed fuel from tank to the pump but nothing from pump to carby. Filter is new and facing the right way pump was working 5 months ago when the engine was last running. I was thinking that it just needs sum more priming? I only just now got it to run i poured fuel down the carby but before i was turning it over i had no spark but the electronic dizxy i had bith wires on same side on coil since i have changed it over it fired up with the little fuel that was in carby then cut out so im thinking may need sum aerostart to keep it running and pump should prime?

59 minutes ago, deankdx said:

you should read this thread.. it sounds like you'd never have it running ;) 

good work, got there in the end.. 

Oh trust me i thought i was never going to have it running either i put in electronic dizzy had both wires on the same side so had no spark. Changed it over then no fuel looked at my f100 set up of fuel pump realised i put hoses on back to front lol first job today is to change them over. Gotta love being on holidays :)