uterus

Wiring issues

Hi everyone i havent been on in a while. My current project is putting a 351 c back into a zh fairlaine i got hold of mow the engine came out of an f100 i just finished rebuilding it but i have a couple of questions i put the engine in today but not sure on a couple of wiring things lol if anyone can help that will be great.  I didnt take engone out so im trying to figure it all out.

What is this relay for?

20170929_163424.jpg

These wires im assuming are for earth and alternator?

20170929_161937.jpg

And this thing is it for dizzy? If yes how do you wire it up?

20170929_161918.jpg

need to stop using photobucket.. 
try imgur.com 

i did the starter relay.. you may not need it anyway.. 
take a photo of your starter motor, to make sure its not a different type.. (clapper or solenoid)
also need a photo of the dissy under cap etc.. to see what type it is

hdHnrO2.jpg

I4W8DtP.jpg

5UMmFT2.jpg

2zR0NXV.jpg

this wire on rocker cover is that for the starter i dont think its long enough to reach

E7wzsYF.jpg

not sure if thats where that was meant to go?

otYTIza.jpg

they meant to go there?

kFZPBA9.jpg

that earth wire seems to bolt onto intake under coil it does not seem to be long enough to go anywhere else.

Dr0MI8a.jpg

old starter in boot wiring bit is loose

17XsKRR.jpg

xg starter can i use that? i do have 1 the same in my f100 351 c

that starter should be simple. big fat wire from + battery.. trigger wire should be dangling near it ..
17XsKRR.jpg

i'm disturbed how close that wing nut is to the dipstick, that is unfused and 12V straight from the battery and if earthed out on the dipstick would be a decent amount of smoke and probably a fire

i'm not familiar with the colour codes anymore.. i have no idea about those dissys, never owned one..

the wiring is a bit of a mess to be honest, usually it would be fairly obvious to Me

1 minute ago, deankdx said:

that starter should be simple. big fat wire from + battery.. trigger wire should be dangling near it ..
17XsKRR.jpg

i'm disturbed how close that wing nut is to the dipstick, that is unfused and 12V straight from the battery and if earthed out on the dipstick would be a decent amount of smoke and probably a fire

so i should just use a normal nut be better? it was just on it so i used it. 

and that trigger wire you mean should be near the fat wire of the battery?

2 minutes ago, uterus said:

and im thinking of putting in an electronic dizzy just so i dont need the ignition module that way its just 2 wires to the coil.

it will get it running, but the shaft size of the electronic dissy of later models is smaller.. and will wear the bushes earlier

i'm not familiar with the colour codes anymore.. i have no idea about those dissys, never owned one..

the wiring is a bit of a mess to be honest, usually it would be fairly obvious to Me

yes its a mess alright no care was taken in getting the original engine out.

it will get it running, but the shaft size of the electronic dissy of later models is smaller.. and will wear the bushes earlier

i have an electronic one in my f100 and on petrol when you put your foot down it bogs down is that what you are refering to by the bushes wearing down when the secondaries are supposed to kick in? with the bushes being worn

4 minutes ago, uterus said:

so i should just use a normal nut be better? it was just on it so i used it. 

and that trigger wire you mean should be near the fat wire of the battery?

a normal nut will be better for sure.. 

trigger wire is the small one, comes from near the brake booster and steering box , its the smaller wire in pic red wire.. might be the one you have dangled up near the coil as it looks the same colour code(red with green trace) as the one cut off on the starter

kNGTnuH.png

Just now, uterus said:

i have an electronic one in my f100 and on petrol when you put your foot down it bogs down is that what you are refering to by the bushes wearing down when the secondaries are supposed to kick in? with the bushes being worn

nah, well. anythings possible.. but it causes misfiring and bad idle and all kinds of issues if bad

8 minutes ago, deankdx said:

17XsKRR.jpg

also when you say trigger wire how does that work? 

Just now, uterus said:

also when you say trigger wire how does that work? 

big fat wire is on the starter.. has 12V straight from the battery..

to make the starter crank when you turn the key, the little wire gets power.. sometimes called a trigger , no idea what the technical term is .. the relay in the first pic would have been on it, but it's not always needed(often added later to help other issues)

3 minutes ago, deankdx said:

a normal nut will be better for sure.. 

trigger wire is the small one, comes from near the brake booster and steering box , its the smaller wire in pic red wire.. might be the one you have dangled up near the coil as it looks the same colour code(red with green trace) as the one cut off on the starter

kNGTnuH.png

so simply just join those 2 together and run a fat wire from starter to positive on battery and im almost ready to start it apart from coil and dizzy?

big fat wire is on the starter.. has 12V straight from the battery..

to make the starter crank when you turn the key, the little wire gets power.. sometimes called a trigger , no idea what the technical term is .. the relay in the first pic would have been on it, but it's not always needed(often added later to help other issues)

ok awesome so i will use that starter as its simple by the look of it and then i will run the 2 wires from dizzy to coil and 1 to ignition module if i use that same dizzy

no, i reckon you'll need to get someone with a owners manual to help out with colour codes.. 

i wouldn't be joining wires up without double checking, i haven't got enough brain power to even think about it tonight. .but it appears some of those wires have same colours but do different things.? 

this is pre XD also , last one of them i saw was 25yrs ago.. 

no, i reckon you'll need to get someone with a owners manual to help out with colour codes.. 

i wouldn't be joining wires up without double checking, i haven't got enough brain power to even think about it tonight. .but it appears some of those wires have same colours but do different things.? 

this is pre XD also , last one of them i saw was 25yrs ago.. 

yeah thats a fair call i have connected the battery up with those wires connected to alternator and nothing so far has blown up yet.

Just now, uterus said:

yeah thats a fair call i have connected the battery up with those wires connected to alternator and nothing so far has blown up yet.

need to be sure. not a lot of that stuff is fused well, and changing burned wires is a pain in the ass.. and can set a loom on fire(i've had a loom fire.. very bad.. and it runs next to the bonnet cable.. i have heard of people not being able to open the bonnet due to the bonnet cable getting burned.. = very bad problems..