Sign in to follow this  
xebruce

converting floor shift to column?

Wanting a xg ute for work but need a bench seat, column shift. Been looking for a while and they don't seem to pop up down here. Plenty of the XG XR6 utes around. Wondering how hard to convert one to column shift. I assume you would just need a wrecked one to pinch the steering column out of and the linkages.

I wouldn't mind an Xg xr6, but I do like the bench seat in my xg.

The hardest part will be removing the hump for the selector. If you look closely it is actually welded in underneath the crossmember inside the cab where the front seat bolts go. Not sure how far you want to go with the conversion though.

Ended up buying an XH XR6. Swapped the column shift over from a EL parts car no problems, everything just bolted up. The bench seat has been a bit of a nightmare though. The holes are in the floor for the front mounts are there but no nut on the underside. Rear mounts line up sweet. Modified the front brackets on the seat rails as the bucket seat mounts were about a bit wider. Got the mod done by and engineer for cert purposes. Came back from cert with them wanting to know if the factory mount i have the lap belts bolted to are designed to take the load of 2 belts. Buggered if I know how I'm supposed to find that out. Seat rail mod, lowering, wheel spacers, column conversion and the 20inch rims all good only being held up on this. fml.