Xgpaddywagon

Xg panelvan relays

There is one. On the row of relays under the bonnet near the battery is second from the back... start relay.

Sometimes relay blocks are not in correct order....
So one you want...one wire will be Red with a blue stripe.. this is the starter wire from the ignition.
Then you know for sure you got the right relay.... only goes to one.

Let me know how ya go.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

There is one. On the row of relays under the bonnet near the battery is second from the back... start relay.

Sometimes relay blocks are not in correct order....
So one you want...one wire will be Red with a blue stripe.. this is the starter wire from the ignition.
Then you know for sure you got the right relay.... only goes to one.

Let me know how ya go.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Thank you . You helped me before a few years back. I thought it was that one but the expert boys drinking beer said there was 2 & it'd have to be more than 40amps . It did have the cover off & I'm sure you could touch it with a driver to positive & it'd start. Shes being resurrected, had a problem then with BEM , got wet / corroded from leaking /cracked top @ both A pillars , replaced it to the glove box . She Became unregisterable . Finally got a mate to braise the joint , I've cleaned up any rust & painted the windscreen area , got the new glass. Now starting it is the challenge so I can get her home . Trying to give myself the best chance as it was no go with a charger a year back . Wiped out/rinsed the fuel tank a couple of times , found the electric pump sock had disintegrated . Next I'll put the new sock on with a little fuel in there then disconnect the inline filter to pump out any remaining crud before I put the new EFI in & new inline filter. I'm guessing I'll have to repair the key & ignition ( turn it to on position wait 45 turn it off & on again?????) & boom shell go ! Anything else I can do relatively cheaply to minimise my chances of problems down the track ? Next will be a bit of make up - tiger print & clear gloss will cover up the white paint irregularities (lucky me my boarders an airbrush artist/ panel beater ) I'm a dab hand at motor trimming / upholstery machinist so it's getting the inside decked out . My daughter the travelling flower child has already put dibs on it ! But a big part of me wants it as my ride. I live 100ks from town & it was pretty good on fuel on the hwy. Another problem was turning the aircon on make it overheat so I'll need to address that at a sooner than later stage . So I have a project but I reckon I can do this myself with advice . These forums are the best . Many thanks regards
Amy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi , just arming myself with some knowledge before I get to my xg - am I correct if I'm looking for the EFI pump relay it's green & id find it near the coolant tank ? Also where would the ignition relay be located pls?
Another query - I know the transmission fluid goes in from underneath , if I get the front end up on ramps would I be able to get at it ?
Cheers

fuel pump relay(green) is near the brake booster..  the other relay next to it might be the one you are thinking of also (you must be reading a sedan book? if so.. )

XG had a transmission dipstick for filling, comes out near the brake booster also(unless someone had fitted an EF transmission) you mean automatic transmission i assume?(otherwise, manual 5speed is from underneath)

fuel pump relay(green) is near the brake booster..  the other relay next to it might be the one you are thinking of also (you must be reading a sedan book? if so.. )
XG had a transmission dipstick for filling, comes out near the brake booster also(unless someone had fitted an EF transmission) you mean automatic transmission i assume?(otherwise, manual 5speed is from underneath)

Thanks for your reply yes it's an auto , can't seem to find anywhere up top ( a few of us looked) to fill it even a dip stick , someone said underneath . Couldn't tell u if another model trans was put in it , I'll have another look when I go there on wed. Not lucky enough to get my hands on a book lol
Cheers

If it doesn't have a dipstick there will be a fill plug on the exhaust side, either 15 or 16mm from memory. Run it up to normal operating temp, then fill until fluid starts to run out. The car must be level when checking it. I always crack the fill plug while it's still cold. Much easier than fighting with a hot exhaust.

If it doesn't have a dipstick there will be a fill plug on the exhaust side, either 15 or 16mm from memory. Run it up to normal operating temp, then fill until fluid starts to run out. The car must be level when checking it. I always crack the fill plug while it's still cold. Much easier than fighting with a hot exhaust.

Thanks for that sounds like a job for a hoist . A new trans was fitted by previous owner & it's probably done 100,000 would it need topping up ? That would be included in a service I'm guessing. The trans seemed ok last it was driven .
Cheers

probably good to get it serviced or do it yourself anyway, its not overly expensive and good to check the condition inside(bits of gunk in the pan etc)

if it leaks it wont keep the level.. My mate cost himself a $1000 transmission by ignoring a leak.

probably good to get it serviced or do it yourself anyway, its not overly expensive and good to check the condition inside(bits of gunk in the pan etc)
if it leaks it wont keep the level.. My mate cost himself a $1000 transmission by ignoring a leak.

Good advice, I noticed drips on the underside of the pan today so yer it must be leaking & it is an ef transmission. How do I check inside of it & im guessing a new seal somewhere will fix the leak ? Good news is it started & revs & idles as good as previous . The beer drinking supervisors will run it around the block during the week & see how it goes . Not too bad as it's sat for 2 1/2 years . Next I'll attend to the transmission before I drive it home

common leak spots..

gear shift seal, seal where the tail shaft goes in is common, pan seal(sump) ,sometimes speedo sender seal, sometimes pump seal(need to remove transmission and torque converter for that)

are the drips on the pan transmission fluid? sometimes the engine leaks and it will get that far back(or all the way to the diff even) 

checking inside, is by removing the sump and seeing how bad the gunk is in the bottom.. and if there is metal in it..(metal shavings isn't good.. )

i wouldn't take the pan off without having one of those pumps pic below to refill it with. cant remember how much fluid will need to go in afterwards, guessing 4 litres?

takes special fluid too, make sure you get the right one..  Castrol Transmax TQ 95 comes to mind

55727d1398949397-recommend-gearbox-oil-2

Ok got the good oil , thanks . Its well over due for a fluid check & change . I collected a drop on a piece of wire & it was red trans fluid . Gotta get one of those pump bottles . One of the beer drinking supervisors ( I'm sure they're having fun teaching me how to fix a car, gotta be better than just drinking beer after work ! )has an EF book so I'll be able to locate those seals . There's not much room under there but I'll try & do what I can myself .
Cheers
Amy

in the book it will tell you how to drop the transmission sump without spilling heaps of oil lol... aka undo the back end of the sump first so it spills over the back edge first. the pan holds at about a litre at a guess.. goes a long way on concrete when spilled, so have some kitty litter or rags handy.. (rags won't end up inside the transmission... kitty litter might if you aren't careful.)

Thanks for that , You think of everything to do it easy . Having concrete & a shed would be great but it's on the dirt & using a beach umbrella for shade lol . Had a thought about using 2 jacks to get it up and put a couple of stands ( they've got a good stable base made from brake drums ) under it & keep the front end on the ramps ( wedged in place) instead of a hoist . I'll pack & jack , stabilise as I go .

Just now, Mr Polson said:

TQ95 or Penrite Semi Syn ATF if the oil to use in a BTR.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

can you mix them? assuming the torque conver holds heaps you can drain

Whats a BTR ?
Dean in other words your saying if they don't mix I would have to also drain the torque converter? I have 5 litres of Bursons type 95le recommended for ford 4 speed made by BTR .

most of My gemini project has been on dirt.
gk8LFbf.jpg
this was my most productive shed.... until it rained

49ZlkKt.jpg
WsdGqj4.jpg

It's the build up now so rain will be 2 months away at a guess , happy I got the windscreen in , would like to deal with surface rust before it's really humid . Can take it to a spray booth when I'm ready hopefully .

I don't see why not, they'd have very similar properties.

Whats a BTR ?
Dean in other words your saying if they don't mix I would have to also drain the torque converter? I have 5 litres of Bursons type 95le recommended for ford 4 speed made by BTR .

BTR is the 4 speed auto used in E series/XG/XH/AU/B series. Technically they were made by BTR Engineering and have actual models numbers but most people just refer to them as a BTR

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

i meant to write can't drain the torque converter, doing a few oil changes will help flush it out but if the fluid is RED that is RARE..they are usually neglected and the fluid is closer to brown or worse. if it's red, it should be good.

make sure your car is properly supported before getting under it, getting the car level and high enough to fill it properly will be potentially dangerous..

reading one of those books from cover to cover will give you a good knowledge base if you have the time to google what things are, i read one for an XD(1981 ford) about 25 years ago and rarely need to look at one for general stuff since..(i have needed to check the gemini one,but ford stuff is pretty similar.. that said, an XG has completely different suspension to EF, so even an XF falcon one will help a lot even regarding the dash and trim with a few exeptions(they didn't make an XG book, there's an EB one with XG suppliment from gregorys)

i meant to write can't drain the torque converter, doing a few oil changes will help flush it out but if the fluid is RED that is RARE..they are usually neglected and the fluid is closer to brown or worse. if it's red, it should be good.
make sure your car is properly supported before getting under it, getting the car level and high enough to fill it properly will be potentially dangerous..
reading one of those books from cover to cover will give you a good knowledge base if you have the time to google what things are, i read one for an XD(1981 ford) about 25 years ago and rarely need to look at one for general stuff since..(i have needed to check the gemini one,but ford stuff is pretty similar.. that said, an XG has completely different suspension to EF, so even an XF falcon one will help a lot even regarding the dash and trim with a few exeptions(they didn't make an XG book, there's an EB one with XG suppliment from gregorys)

I've found that it's a collection of bits from other models , I keep a list of what bits are from what , yer sensing the danger getting under it whilst up , had some good training in road crash rescue about stabilising cars whilst using cutting equipment , still you gotta check & check constantly . Might even attach the winch to the front so it won't have a chance to roll off the ramps . Wear a helmet & keep my head together ! So if the fluid is red ( I'll check again ) I'm guessing it got changed in the last service , too long to recall , I'll just top it up . Itching to get it home & paint before the humidity. I've got 100k trip , I'll get a follower incase & a good spare . Break down on that stretch of Stuart hwy & your cars robbed & torched . No phone reception either .

yeah figured you must be in the middle of nowhere by the comments. 

i reckon if you break down in Melbourne and leave the car for an hour at night theres every chance it will have its windows smashed, number plates taken and probably more

Melbourne was voted most livable city for some reason?