CHESTNUTXE

6cyl c4 casefill

Today i scored a c4 with a 6cyl bellhousing,still trying to work out exactly what year it is,but it has c6dp in the casting,which means 1966,althou this just means thats when that part was first cast,the real model should be on a tag but its missing,its definatly a 24 spline case fill as all 6cyl boxes were,i will keep this box for a crossflow engine.bhOm7Ue5.jpg

next strange thing is it came with a converter which has a ring gear welded on it ???/ i doubt this fits a ford as its tiny ,just came with tranny unsure what it suits.wQEmWxnN.jpg

Box not from a mustang? Cause bell housing would be different for their sixes than the Aussie? Might explain converter maybe. Never heard of a ring gear weld to converter myself but someone else with more knowledge would know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes true it might be a usa 6 or very small c.i 6 log motor ??? the converter does fit on the box,i first thought someone moded the converter to fit a nissan or something.

Look in behind the shift linkage , the actual year and month is cast there in a round disc. If it is 66 it will be a green dot type valvebody, 67-69 will be the normal PRND21 shift pattern

Yes definitely 24 spline , likely a mustang . 

C4 ID for CASE.png

ok so it could be the select shift c4,i was just reading a couple of mustang sites and the 200 c.i engine i think has the same bellhousing as our's but the 250 or 300 c.i has the v8 pattern,im going out to the garage to look at the codes^_^

22 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

it says DX 6 67 and just 1 on the day of month 

Hmmm a 67 , you should be right .  You'd have to drop the pan to check for sure . I could send you a couple PDF files how to tell but basically a select shift will have a C5 casting code on the channel casting, the 67-69 is C7 casting

I believe you are correct on the bells 

21 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

yes but what box is it ?:rolleyes:

67 , 24 spline C4. Is should have the good PRND21 valvebody. I think that converter was a mustang thing. I have seen before but not sure exactly what it's off 

the bloke reckond its a hybrid box later valve body ,breather on top.another thing my mate who works at a tranny shop and worked for ford back in the day,reckons our 302c, c4 panfills are a little different to the yank ones ,i must ask him about that one.

The 1970 was a unique one . The input shaft was a 26/26.  If yours has the breather on top it is a late trans . 

All the U.S C4's vary a little to ours in clutch counts etc based on what they were used behind , but essentially the same