Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sweet Cream

XF Fan and pulley

Hi everyone,

Pulled my xc off the road to do a few maintenance things and also replaced the water pump. Mine has aircon and was running a three belt v-belt pulley with a solid aluminium spacer against the fan. I pulled the old one off and put it in the trash box, but didn't throw it out. I guess out of sight, out of mind. I have to have two manuals for the xc, one for the body and running gear and the other for the xf engine so when I ordered a new xf water pump I used the manual. When the pump arrived I checked it off against the xf manual. All correct.

Now comes a lesson in tardiness - I fitted the new pump and forgot to physically check the new one against the old one before I did. Wouldn't you know it, the pulley fittings are different and my fan won't fit. Center hole in my fan is far too small and bolt holes closer together. I assume that the mechanic who put my engine together and into the xc must have used an xc water pump which has a small hole in the aluminium spacer and fan. The standard xf has a large threaded shaft.    

The question is, would there be any problems with getting an xf fan and bits from somewhere and lining everything up with the aircon, alternator and crank pulleys? or should I just simplify it by ordering another xc water pump with the holes that will match my own fan and spacer? 

Any advice muchly appreciated.

Heath

i'd buy an XC pump and have it running perfect in 20mins..
otherwise, you could fit a thermo fan and free up some horse power that probably won't be noticable..

the clutch fan should be more efficient, not sure if you have the space for one? then you have the pulley issue? will they just line up, i would guess yes.

i have a similar delema i want to use the 86da plastic xf clutch fan on my crossy build but am i sacrificing hp ? i also have the xe metal 7 blade clutch fan but that is much heavier than the xf one.

1 minute ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

i have a similar delema i want to use the 86da plastic xf clutch fan on my crossy build but am i sacrificing hp ? i also have the xe metal 7 blade clutch fan but that is much heavier than the xf one.

4 minutes ago, deankdx said:

otherwise, you could fit a thermo fan and free up some horse power that probably won't be noticable..

the clutch fan should be more efficient, not sure if you have the space for one? then you have the pulley issue? will they just line up, i would guess yes.

Hi deankdx,

I'm tempted to go the XC pump way. HP not an issue. Going to fit a thermo fan end of year so I can address other issues then. My XC is farm and music transport vehicle so time is important at the moment.

Thanks for input.

Cheers

i just watched that video ,never new they ate that much power,the shroud really only comes into play at idle in traffic i think to really suck that air out,cheers dean i really enjoyed that.

i just watched that video ,never new they ate that much power,the shroud really only comes into play at idle in traffic i think to really suck that air out,cheers dean i really enjoyed that.

Just think with more rpm it will draw even more power

With an XF you could disconnect the tailshaft and let the engine fan suck the car along

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

I would agree, with the Ghia all I can hear is the dam fan, I was thinking about going electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree, with the Ghia all I can hear is the dam fan, I was thinking about going electric.

Do it! Best bang-for-buck mod you can do

Do it! Best bang-for-buck mod you can do

I'll have a look around the engine for a spot to put a thermo switch to activate the fan.

A 16 inch in the centre of the shroud should work.

I'll have a look around the engine for a spot to put a thermo switch to activate the fan.

A 16 inch in the centre of the shroud should work.

I drilled and tapped into the thermostat housing on my EA to take a VDO switch. Was 3/8" BSP from memory

I drilled and tapped into the thermostat housing on my EA to take a VDO switch. Was 3/8" BSP from memory

I just put a thermo switch in the XD before it was shipped, that was a tridon brand and was 3/8 NPT GAS, so fitted in the eldebrock manifold.

I'll have a look around.

Yeah NPT sounds like it, BSP will fit but is one thread out so in that case just reach for a longer spanner

b4a0bb994cf33e79723aa915329a7ea0.jpg
I found a good spot.

21 hours ago, Mr Polson said:

30hp loss from a steel fan! Crazy. Never figured it'd be that high.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

yeah i thought maybe 4 or 5hp

Don't forget the actual function of the fan. You will lose more than HP if you cook it. Fixed fan never gave any cooling issues and hassle free motoring.

On 7/20/2017 at 11:24 PM, deankdx said:

Hi Dean,

Correct water pump here yesterday and fan fitted nicely. Got to get my EP mixed and up on iTunes by September, so might address electric fan later in the year when I have more minutes. My XC engine bay has nice elbow room, so a lot of options open to me.

Cheers,

Hi Dean,
Correct water pump here yesterday and fan fitted nicely. Got to get my EP mixed and up on iTunes by September, so might address electric fan later in the year when I have more minutes. My XC engine bay has nice elbow room, so a lot of options open to me.
Cheers,

Ep? Tell us more please mate