Sign in to follow this  
Falcman007

4.0 ED jerking after manual conversion

gday guys, So the ED is now manual.

My problem is it runs fine, accelerates fine BUT taking the foot off to slow down it jerks pretty bad.

It is still running the auto ECU.

I have a J3 to be tuned to suit soon.

thanks Kim

I managed to use an auto ECU with some resistors soldered into the gear position sensor to fool the computer into thinking it was in "D". Can't remember what resistance it was but made a difference to the jerkiness. I never cured the fast idle issue until I modified the ISC valve.

Sounds like a tuning issue with fuel mapping, as in the point where it goes from closed to open loop, etc.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Thanks gerg. I bought the resistors, 1 watt 6.8 k and 1.2 k.

Apparently I need to hook up the nutruel switch on the box for other issues,

I figured if it gets a tune it wont need them. i actually just got my J3 back, plugged it in and the fuel pump doesnt stop priming and the car will not start. Removed it and it starts.

Is the harness significantly different from a manual to an auto? Or is it a plug in section from factory?
Found this, not sure if it helps.
https://www.tiperformance.com.au/knowledge-base/wiring-up-the-neutral-switch-in-a-ford-falcon-manual-conversion/

What drew said is spot on, I've read somewhere too that if the pump keeps priming the chip is corrupt.

ISC valve?

Idle Speed Control. Lives on top of the throttle body. I drilled and tapped a tapered bolt into the side of it that limits the travel of the plunger inside. Instead of 1500, I got it idling sweet at 850. It also used to hang up between gear shifts but this fixed it. Backyard mechanics at its best lol

I'd read the " extra tips" in the installation notes. They explicitly state that improperly cleaned ECU contacts are a cause of fuel pump priming issues. Make sure the contacts are clean because it's the first thing they will tell you to do when you make contact with them.

I've used their product without issue. I made sure the ECU contacts were fastidiously prepared before I inserted the chip......give it a go and see how things run then... 

There's no need to modify the isc valve. You can program the desired rpm in the chip.

You only need to do something with the neutral safety switch in the loom when you swap to manual with an auto ecu. Vss is the same.

I'll fix that typo in my last post too.

Did you get one of the chips shipped out last Sunday? I noticed on Instagram Jason say he had quite a few to do, maybe he made a mistake?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I'd read the " extra tips" in the installation notes. They explicitly state that improperly cleaned ECU contacts are a cause of fuel pump priming issues. Make sure the contacts are clean because it's the first thing they will tell you to do when you make contact with them.
I've used their product without issue. I made sure the ECU contacts were fastidiously prepared before I inserted the chip......give it a go and see how things run then... 

Yes, do this. Scotch brite or sand paper.

There's no need to modify the isc valve. You can program the desired rpm in the chip.

I'm talking 12 years ago when I'd never heard of a J3 or anyone who could flash an EEC V, and a manual ECU at the wreckers went for $500-plus.

cheers guys.

And TI performance have a great rep.

This is just a minor issue hopefully on my part.

Ive spoke to TI and they have been very good regarding the problem. I'll give it another good clean up and see how i go.

Thanks for the help.

kim

cheers guys.
And TI performance have a great rep.
This is just a minor issue hopefully on my part.
Ive spoke to TI and they have been very good regarding the problem. I'll give it another good clean up and see how i go.
Thanks for the help.
kim

I agree. I don't think you'll have any trouble sorting this out if it's a problem on their side.

39 minutes ago, Drew442 said:

You only need to do something with the neutral safety switch in the loom when you swap to manual with an auto ecu. Vss is the same.

I'll fix that typo in my last post too.

Did you get one of the chips shipped out last Sunday? I noticed on Instagram Jason say he had quite a few to do, maybe he made a mistake?

yes i seen he did lol.

i have no idea if one was mine