RAWDEAL

Painting a car trailer

41 posts in this topic

Definitely needs moving forward so the wheels are on the front rail. For clearance, maybe a couple of blocks of wood under the wheels?

Re: the drop hitch, I've found that some trailers that have a rocker setup between the leaf springs (semi load-sharing) can actually have a shackle go over centre, so one is above the rocker, one below like a zig-zag. If this trailer has that setup, and the shackle has flipped, then the trailer will sit low and slope backwards from the hitch, affecting axle loading and balance.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Yep i'd be bringing it forward. I always load mine against the front cross bar which would be in a similar spot to yours and it tows everything mint, have had 4wds on it and all. Bonus is you have something to tie against rather than relying solely on straps.

id be putting the front tyres hard up against that front bar, may need to lower that tool box - i sub merged my toolbox in the floor under the car on the trailer 

I Hey mate cool trailer, if your starting to do a lot of towing I'd suggest getting some correct wheel lashing straps and tie downs best place I've found for these are truck shops. As for the speed wobbles a few of the guys suggested move the cars farward wheels against the bar on the trailer but I think that would make it worse. I daily drive a Mazda bt50 4x2 and it has towed heaps of cars xd,xe's heaviest car was a ford maverick lwb, but they all sit in different locations on the trailer which you will have to play around with and you will soon figure it out by eye and feel of how the tow car drives. That ute looks pretty center on the trailer but there is a lot more weight in the front half of one of these compared to the rear half, which would create the tow car to be light in the front end due to the down pressure on the front half of the trailer. 

Valvebouncer likes this

I Hey mate cool trailer, if your starting to do a lot of towing I'd suggest getting some correct wheel lashing straps and tie downs best place I've found for these are truck shops. As for the speed wobbles a few of the guys suggested move the cars farward wheels against the bar on the trailer but I think that would make it worse. I daily drive a Mazda bt50 4x2 and it has towed heaps of cars xd,xe's heaviest car was a ford maverick lwb, but they all sit in different locations on the trailer which you will have to play around with and you will soon figure it out by eye and feel of how the tow car drives. That ute looks pretty center on the trailer but there is a lot more weight in the front half of one of these compared to the rear half, which would create the tow car to be light in the front end due to the down pressure on the front half of the trailer. 

Agreed. You need the weight to sit onto of your trailer axles to stop the wobbles. Imagine you load the car onto the trailer with it disconnected from the ranger, ideally it should be able to balance without the jockey wheel down - this is near impossible to do though. Just try and place the weight evenly over the trailer, having all the weight forward is no good, you end up putting the weight straight onto your toe all instead of the trailers suspension.
The a frame is rather short for a long trailer. A longer a frame will make it much easier to reverse and more stable at higher speeds.
scottly likes this

Can i suggest carrying a set of spare axle bearings for it, the last tandem i used had dodgey bearings in one wheel which failed, they were Ford bearings and we could only find Holden bearings at a servo. It was swaying alot until the bearings were replaced too so maybe check them anyway. Carrying spare bearings would've saved us about 4 bloody hours that day! Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Valvebouncer likes this

Speaking of bearings, i'd suggest carrying a whole spare hub setup. I had a hub and wheel come off my enclosed racecar trailer last week about 100km ararat side of ballarat in the middle of nowhere. Luckily I had a full hub setup that could go back on even though the stub was damaged from dragging on the ground. In the end by the time i cut all the old bearing off and filed up the thread to get the nut to screw on it took me around 4 hours but at least I got moving again. Otherwise I would have had to leave it there and drive at least an hour each way to go buy a hub. For the sake of carrying a $50 spare part it is great peace of mind.

gerg, scottly, Slow250XC and 1 other like this

X falcons I line up the front axle with the 1st crossbar on the rope rail on my trailer (about 3" forward from where the BA is on the trailer), I've found the rocker springs like front pre load on the trailer other wise you get the rocking in the tow vehicle, I usually drive forward till rear suspension on tow vehicle is compressed between 1"-2" from unloaded (depending on tow vehicle). on the wheel bearing bit, planing to move my spare tie from the draw bar to the LHS & mount it on a stub axle so I have a pre greased spare ready to go for if I have one fail, Bros mate as done this on his race trailer. & build a tool box for the draw bar for my straps & winch battery(s)

I have the toolbox sitting level with that cross bar which is good it doesnt foul on anything

Its got the rocker suspension upgrade on it

Where would i buy a hub? I dont wanna buy a shit quality one from the trailer joint lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It would really piss me off if i have to relocate that spare wheel the get the cars to come forward more.. id like to try a wagon on it so i know i can pick one up at a later date ect

I used to load it on with the towbar tounge upwards so it came out of the car bent up and sat2" above the square slot it goes in.

But the trailer scrapped to the shithouse so i had to flip the tounge which fixed it now it sits level on the trailer

Its weird because if i move the car to touch the front edge there would be over a meter of trailer thats doing nothing at the back

Which makes no sense to me ? Thats why i think the axles are to far forward

Id love to have something to measure the weight on the towbar

Bathroom scales and a piece of 4x2 cut to length to fit under towball. Then lower trailer onto ball with jockey wheel and take the reading
Thats a good idea. Ill try to do that