Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

250 manual bellhousings

On 10/25/2018 at 11:38 AM, CHESTNUTXE said:

i will shoot some pictures for you tomorrow as i need to go to work now,hey maybe you could send me a set of boss 302 heads:o

LOL, I'll send you a pic of the tracking # for them

I ordered the clarkos top half, I am going to make the bottom half myself.  Any idea how thick the clarkos plate is?  I asked when I submitted the order, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

My waterjet guy said it would take about 2 hours to draw it up, and that starts to get expensive, and the bottom half shouldn't be hard to make, its the starter alignment that seems the most important.

I also ordered a 65 mustang six cylinder clutch fork, gonna see what kind of dimensions it has, maybe its "close enough" or close enough to rework.

LOL, I'll send you a pic of the tracking # for them

I ordered the clarkos top half, I am going to make the bottom half myself.  Any idea how thick the clarkos plate is?  I asked when I submitted the order, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

My waterjet guy said it would take about 2 hours to draw it up, and that starts to get expensive, and the bottom half shouldn't be hard to make, its the starter alignment that seems the most important.

I also ordered a 65 mustang six cylinder clutch fork, gonna see what kind of dimensions it has, maybe its "close enough" or close enough to rework.
Was the mustang ever available with a 4 speed or just 3 speed manual in 6 cyl

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

I've got the same bell you have posted earlier in this thread, and the stock 66 Bronco fork is too long from the "crease" for the pivot to the ends of the fork, the bearing is off centered. It had a 66 ford 170 six in it (loghead) So I hope this one works, I should know in a day or 2.

hmmmm bell will be fine just that bearing i gave you only suits top loader or single rail 4 speed ,3 speed is different and very easy to find,you see here in oz we had nearly the same set up in our early falcons ,200,221,or 2fifty c.i. plus a c4 or 3 speed or 4 speed top loader if orderd that way,i think all 289/302 4 speed  were top loader and some very rare cases up to sixty 9 had a v8 and the mustang 3 speed manual ,a lot of speedway guys here love the 3 speed top loader and are very hard to find in gc.

hmmmm bell will be fine just that bearing i gave you only suits top loader or single rail 4 speed ,3 speed is different and very easy to find,you see here in oz we had nearly the same set up in our early falcons ,200,221,or 2fifty c.i. plus a c4 or 3 speed or 4 speed top loader if orderd that way,i think all 289/302 4 speed  were top loader and some very rare cases up to sixty 9 had a v8 and the mustang 3 speed manual ,a lot of speedway guys here love the 3 speed top loader and are very hard to find in gc.
Hey mate that alloy sandwich plate is 2.5mm thick90018482da6fa6c277e3aba9a0961e0f.jpg3c28ab9910a43cad3455ee3eb12cb70a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

so lets get this straight you have micky thompsons 66 baja bronco and ya wanna put the crossflow in it and a 3 speed mustang style gearbox ?

I wish it was a Stroppe Baja Bronco, but no, just a nice 66.  The head work needed to keep the engine going was like $600 so I picked this up, should be a fun little engine for it, it was rebuilt and has a cam for torque more than HP.  The Bronco is on 31" tires, 4.11 gears, 3 on the column, and I'm not changing anything, its too close to original.  It sat for 12 years, I have only put like 20 miles on it. I'll have to post some pics once I get the engine in

can i ask where you got the crossflow from ,because i sent one to the states about a year ago was that you ?

It wasn't me.  This engine went to Texas, a guy rebuilt it there and put it in an old Econoline van and put like 200 miles on it.  The story i got was the econoline had a small radiator, and couldn't keep this engine cool, and the guy didn't want to hack in a larger radiator, so he sold it, to a guy in West Virginia that knows them pretty well.  It sat for say a year, and he changed plans, so I bought it in the fall of 2016.  I've had the pan off, it looks great inside, so i do think the engine is good to go, we shall see soon! Its been sitting here a bit, shame on me.

if its a 76da block its one of the first generation of crossflows with the iron head ,later crossflows had the alloy head from about 1980 onwards althou you should be able to interchange between alloy and iron heads i think.

if its a 76da block its one of the first generation of crossflows with the iron head ,later crossflows had the alloy head from about 1980 onwards althou you should be able to interchange between alloy and iron heads i think.

It has an aluminum head, I think 1984, on it.  I also picked up an extractor for it, has the weber carb.

yes thats the later crossflow,what does it say on the block 84da ? 83da ? in 84 ford changed to a 1 piece rear main seal ,and in 86 changed to metirc crank bolts which are a tad smaller than the older crossflows.

yes thats the later crossflow,what does it say on the block 84da ? 83da ? in 84 ford changed to a 1 piece rear main seal ,and in 86 changed to metirc crank bolts which are a tad smaller than the older crossflows.

Its a 76DA block, with the later head - I think I have to pull the valve cover to check for a casting # and haven't checked the head.  I have a later model valve cover I was going to polish and put on it at some point -

Well the 65 Mustang 6cylinder clutch fork is 3" crease to end of forks.

The 66 Bronco with 170 six clutch fork is 4-1/2" crease to end of forks

I was told the Crossflow is 3-5/8" crease to end of forks

So I think this mustang one is too short.  The search continues, pic of the mustang on left, Bronco is black on the right.

clutch fork.jpg

those forks dont look like the one im using ,but the one i am using is very short like the gold one and has no clip in the bell to hold it in,it just pivots ,i thought it would just brake the first time i used it but nope its fine,i will try and find my other forks to check and put picture.

yes thats the one,out of 1973 ford xb falcon but that only suits top loader or borg warner single rail 4 speed,the 3 speed is different again,cause the bearing is different

if you go to my build in the forum on action mans ute ,thats my car and there is over 100 pages of shit talk and pictures of the build ect,there could be another picture of the fork vs 3 speed fork.the thing is in around 1970 we changed to a different 3 speed box,our older falcons had the mustang 3 speed ,and there is about 6 different bell set ups for our crossflows and pre crossflows,even a T5 bell.