Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

250 manual bellhousings

selecting the correct single rail or top loader bellhousing for my crossy is proving quite interesting as there is many to choose from ,drivers side cable set up ,passenger side cable set up,early 250 top loader hyd,and xb top/loader single rail to be confirmed,im pretty sure from xc/xd on they were all cable,but one of the problems faced by putting a early hyd set up in a xf style firewall is no correct bolt plate for the master cylinder to go on,i wonder why did ford did away with this ? anyway im trying to get info if the xb 250 bellhousing was drilled for top loader and single rail as i have seen a few pictures that indicate it was,but keen to hear does anyone actualy have one,i imagine they were made in late 1973 /74 and perhaps 75 until the xc came out,the cost to convert to a hyd set up is staggering,$200 for a pedal conversion,$200 for master/slave cyl's,clutch line $75,probly $150-200 for the bellhousing,fork,ect,,,,hmmmmmm.

Thom tell's me that xb bell was only made in a 6 month window,so good luck finding one,could be just as easy to get a top loader one and drill it for single rail then can use either box.

Ford did away with the clutch hyd master mount on XFs as they no longer fitted the V8. All 6s used cable so no need for the extra hassle in production. I believe the whole firewall got revamped for 6 cyl only.

Nothing stopping you making your own hole and stud mounts for the master cylinder. You'd have to reinforce around it though.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

If you pop your head under the dash and take a look where the clutch cable goes on XF to EL/XH (wouldnt suprise me if AU where the same) you'll see that its double skinned and "almost" ready to take the XC-XE clutch cable bracket or the hydro master cylinder :)  Just drill and chop whats required :)

I modded a 3 speed hydro bellhousing for my singlerail, ground out the center hole a few mm and had to drill and tap one hole (top drivers i think). Looking at the clutch pedal i recon you could get away with using a brake pedal and kink/straighten as necessary. Thats what my one looks like anyway. Then grab a piece of stainless rod the right length.

Pm me your email if you want pics of the pedal :)

i found a early bell with single rail bolt pattern,also has the passenger side fork and slave holes,i bought it after doing some research,it seems the real deal,i will get it next week and put some pic's,will drop it down to ol.m8's and get it cleaned,then start to order the goodies to go with it,im assuming its the same hyd line as a v8 and slave plus master,chime on in if its different.

if its the same slave then it should be spot on ,but probly a xa /xb style line ,if they are similar to the xd/xe one,the xa master cyl v8 sticks out at a bit of an angle compard to the xd/xe or the other way around but fittings are the same.