CHESTNUTXE

84DA CROSSFLOW BUILD

On Tuesday, August 08, 2017 at 4:34 PM, CHESTNUTXE said:

roller rockers are done ,020 on inlet and 022 on exhaust,i took my time ,about 1 1/2 hours to put studs in and lash rockers.Pu58fPqc.jpg

P.S thats actually a hot setting on those and will be too big when running.

I set mine to 8th and 10th cold.

3 minutes ago, slydog said:

yeah i noticed a fair bit of play in the pushrod was wondering about that but i have only done hyd settings b4 solid is new to me

Yep studs with a 12 point nut or socket head cap screws. The runner casting gets in the way of that bolt and it's worse the further you step the manifold off the head. You can safely grind away a bit of material and fit a normal bolt head, but who doesn't like socket head caps screws or studs with 12 point nuts. Only one bolt sexier than a socket head cap screw and that's a button head cap screw. Oh they just do it for me those button heads. Yes I know I'm weird. 
I love acorn nuts on studs... Must love pommy stuff (shoot me now)

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

why is it that the exhaust gaskets only fit one way one is reversed is that ok or is there a extractor gasket available ?cW6wvIHg.jpg
That's normal. It's so they can make two smaller ones instead of one long piece, or needing separate tooling for making front and rear pieces. Just make one type and flip it for each end... Simple!

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, slydog said:

could that just be for roller cams sly ?

5 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

could that just be for roller cams sly ?

No it's exactly how I did my flat tappets too. Fastest xflow in the country doe's it and so do I. You will notice the lash setting is stated as a HOT setting and as alloy reacts strongly to heat it will be a big gap.

Dean @ Tighe is knob and will tell you anything too. They do the semi on all roller xflow cams and mine is set 1 tooth plus 2 degree's. That is not made up,it's stated in my build thread even. Hence the importance to dial the cam in and I'll bet everything I know it's not cos your engine builder would of said it's not needed in your case on a 6 cyl. There all the same.

So again...Id set the lash cold tighter cos when it's hot it's gunna be well over that and can hurt the pushrod tips if revved that way for long like when running a cam in or something??? 

Reading and listening is the biggest asset everyone has but you also choose how and when you do it.

Agreed. Those settings are way loose. Sprintcar in Cairns run zero lash. There is a reason for that. Pure and simply, heat and its effect on alloy. 

We set our tappers at 8&10 in mod sedans and never have an issue. Have done it for years. You can even go tighter if you want but for a street car 8&10 or 10&12 will be fine. Cold. 

Camtech also recommend similar HOT settings for their camshafts. Recently did a solid roller LS1 and no way was I setting it to their recommendations. When it got temp in it you could hear the slap on the tighter setting. 

thats with the fork fully in the bearing everything seems good on this pic but at the other end it dont line up about 1cm to far in for the pushrod to fit perfect.JJxYNsl0.jpg

with the fork in the correct spot for the pivot ,and correct line up for the pushrod the fork will only just slot in to the throwout bearing so maybe i need a v8 fork as the one i have is a hyd 6 cyl xb fork ?2n0no7bh.jpg

i did that on the last t5 problem,i just had another look at it the fork is correct for that bell as it has a pivot mark line in the fork which when in position lines up perfect with the pushrod,i think that bearing i have may be not the right one but when i orderd it ,they said it suits 6 and 8 cyl >??? all i need is the bearing clip fork holders to be 1cm further in ,and it will be 100% so i will look soon for another bearing they should make one FBJ bearing.

i unscrewed the oil mod line and will get another fitting a bit taller,also re-did the roller rockers to 008 010 clearance,put the belt on just to line up the pulleys and alt,waiting for a intake gasket to come to fit the manifold.SYwDbeZX.jpg

i found an original 6cyl clutch bearing with carrier ,was very hard to find,new old stock,cant wait until it gets here to sus it all out,crazy what is that csc your talking about