Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

84DA CROSSFLOW BUILD

They need camshaft,compression and ignition for big carbs but after that cyl head flow. No point putting a tiny port dirt slinger head on a engine you want to rev over 7000 cos It won't make power. Been there,seen it,done it fixed it.

Turning the carb East West doe's enhance em though but many choose to stay North/South and it's all but free hp ??? 

i was reading somewhere that the later xf crossflow utes 92 93 used ea falcon style cable ,does this affect anything ? just looks like a std crossflow cable to me on the ute,

13 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

i was reading somewhere that the later xf crossflow utes 92 93 used ea falcon style cable ,does this affect anything ? just looks like a std crossflow cable to me on the ute,

its the pedal end that's different.. if anything it gives you more options, because an XG one for eg is very long if needed. 

The later Utes used the pedal with the in built throttle stop, a good thing by the way.  They also located the cable on the end of the bracket, rather than the firewall. This is also a good thing as it leads to better cable routing.  The side benefit of the use of the xg/xh cable is also a win.

2 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

Mines a 89 model and has the newer cable. I daresay the change occurred in 88 when XF sedan/wagon stopped and EA started.

does anyone no exactly how tall an air cleaner will go on xf bonnet without mods,like 1 or 2inch ? the bloke at aussiespeed reckons you can run the carby on the manifold without a spacer to help,i usualy like a 1/2 inch spacer,but does it really matter ?

Question when instaling east west carby should the primarys be facing towards the tower or engine ?or it doenst matter cause its open ?
Not sure how yours is but some 4-barrel manifolds have half of the plenum jutting out and half joined to the runners. I'd put the secondaries closest to where the runners are, ie the easiest path. That way, at full throttle you get least restriction.

Probably doesn't make any difference but sounds great in theory.

A spacer would help too.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

i think i have a good carby in mind its a six50 holley HP alloy street d/p NO choke housing ect,seem quite popular or the normal HP race series in the gold colour.

i wanted to buy a carby today and everybody is trying to talk me into a quickfuel carby ,they tell me a holley HP D/P SIX50 will need a ton of soughting out,as where the quickfuel wont and it is more of a hand built item than a mass production line carby ,they also make a 450 d/p but im really sold on a six hundred or six fifty.has anyone else had one of these quickfuel items .

sorting out a carby cant be as hard as converting to efi surely.. 

that said, My dyno tuner wanted me to run commodore  efi management on My crossflow so he could tune it with kalmaker software 10yrs ago. i had GRA lpgas on it at the time .

Quickfuel have a lot of features that you have to pay top $ for in a Holley or buy lots of add-ons. As far as i understand, the QFT range can have changeable high and low speed air bleeds, possibly power valve channel restrictors, air emulsion jets and idle feed restrictors (might depend on what metering block they come with) and an air idle bypass (for lumpy cams). On a vac sec carby, the spring is a fixed rate and the adjustment is in the vacuum supply.

They've basically taken Holley's modular approach and gone one step further.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

yep good info im ordering the QC SIX FIFTY NOW about 8 hundy plus fuel rail and holley 4/7 psi mighty mite pump ,uz dont need a reg with this one aparently,i wanted a black diamond carby only cause its black but at over a grand hmmmm well ,i got the street quickfuel model,look very similar to the HP holley.