Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

84DA CROSSFLOW BUILD

also bought the a/c type fan fitting cause i was gunna use the xf plastic clutch fan but deans video convinced me to go a large single thermo or EL set up.i still should be able to use this waterpump as there is no fan going on it at all.O2TzhnL9.jpg

it will get close to the el fan shroud if you mount it on a standard flow rad.  The thread that holds the fan gets close to the el shroud.

I cut a notch out on my fan shroud to make fit, if was doing again would put the water pump in the lathe or mill and cut the end off.

2 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

also noticed the water pump pulley bolts are a different thread to the ones I have here ? Xe and xf don't fit why would they do that ?

probably saved 4 cents per car using metric bolts

Then i gave it a coat of paint,fitted the oil pump and pick-up,just loosely put the std sump on for the moment until i get it modded by asr or ando's one,fitted water pump today,put some brackets on just for a look ,also pulley,i ended up finding some correct bolts in wagoon's boxes of parts,pistons are 20.5 cc dish and deck is 0.005,i will be using a mls .040 gasket for a comp ratio of 9.7 ish,arp main stud kit,arp rod bolts,king race bearings,tighe solid cam and fluted lifters,9.800 hardend pushrods,7/16  ford clevo/big block roller rockers,arp studs ect,,,,stainless 2v clevo intakes and chev exhausts turned down to ol.m8's spec's,reckon it took him 5 hours of work to turn the valves down.r5N37Van.jpg

the first snag is the est plastic cover is hitting the oil mod,so i guess i can remove that and wire it directly to the 3 pins,problem solved,snag 2 is the oil filter is hitting the oil mod and wont line up with the thread,might need a small extension on the filter ???? snag 3 now the oil filter is hitting the power steering bracket,solution =fuk the oil mod off lol.i was just looking at some remote oil fittings might solve the clearance or i will talk to him about fixing the problem with a taller fitting to clear the filter in the normal position.

if i can non p/s,but just fitted the bracket to see,i mean if i extend the filter somehow it will stick out quite far and hit the bottom of the pump thats on the bracket i think but havent tested that yet might just give it a go tomorrow and see.

he is old school and built a million of these over 40 years and reckons something to do with delivering more oil to the rear as the hole is tiny for oil compard to the front hole if that makes sense i think he means the size of the hole which gives oil to the bearings,i will ask him again this afo ,when i bought the block in thats the first thing he was intending on doing,could be similar to the clevo thing where it doesnt get enough oil ,but in a daily drive or mild performance engine i doubt its worth it,will post more info when i ask him about it,as others say its totaly unessecary and could be right,i just went with what he reckonds,didnt want to rock the boat as he gets cranky very quickly:huh:,i can always just unscrew it and plug the hole with a plug,i was actualy against it but he chucked a  spastic when i doubted his work lol.

Chestnut,

power steering.

you got yo have it but fuck do an Astra ps conversion.  It gives you a shittin of more room on the inlet.

reminds me to get my arse into gear and get my head finished.

anyone know a good head guy in Adelaide ?

or Perth I'm there too often enough for work.