Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

XF/G DOOR HINGE QUESTION

With the door hinge kits that are available with new pins,do you have to take the door off ,or can they be replaced doing 1 at a time while still on the car ?

ok the xg i just bought needs both doors done,or would it be better to just take the fookin doors off ? i could use the hinges off the wagon i just bought are xf the same,they look the same at the front,i remember once doing a xe and it was a bastard off a job,ended up cutting the bottom one off with a thin wheel,but the xg ones look like they had improved the pins.

are the hinges worn?  usually the bottom hinge mount on the door is broken..

hinges can be swapped if you can get the torx screws out.. .. you should be able to just remove the pins if it has that style.

well the doors have huge play and drop when opened i looked at the actual hinge it seems fine just the pin bushing has failed i hope.i think the xg ones have a clip you just remove to tap the old pin and bush out.

my 1991 XF had that type with the clip and removable pin..
i've never done the crimped type, i'd wrecked enough cars to just have good hinges to swap over.. simples.

i've done that..
if you can get one bolt undone, you can turn the hinge which takes the bolt with it a bit of a turn(looser) and will often undo. i've had to undo them due to the door being buggered, i've only changed one hinge bush set ever..

i had an awesome thread with pics of how i fixed it.. pics wont work now.
basically remove hinge, make a plate to sit between the door and hinge and bolt it back together..

welding it would be the best way, but temporary fix lasts longer than a good door..

check the hinge roller actually rolls, otherwise it may have cracked by people opening the door too wide(or wind catching it) ford's idea of a check strap only took about 20 yrs or so to be improved.

1 minute ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

why the fk did ford put torx nuts on the passenger xg door's ?drivers are normal bolts,same as my other ute ?

someone has changed the drivers bolts/hinges..

My 1991 XF had torx bolts. one hinge had XF bolts by the time i was done, because i drilled the torx heads off to remove the hinge(to fit my plate in between hinge and broken door)

Ive got new pins & bushes for my drivers door on my FD to put in but im not too sure how to get the old pins out so i thought id ask u guys b4 just whacking away with a hammer & centre punch

yeah you could do that,or just slide a milk crate under the door when you take it off just for support and 2 people to put back on really helps as by yurself is not impossible but temper testing :huh:

2 hours ago, Free.51 said:

Ok thanks mate thats how im gonna do it, ill get my bro to hold the door cos i cant completely take the door away cos of the elctrics loom

if you take the plastic dirt trap out of the mudguard, and fly spray the redbacks in there and wash the dirt out.. you can remove the hinges one by one without taking the guard or the door off.. 
aligning the door would be far easier with the guard off depending how much a pain in the ass they are to remove(lower bolts break off etc) scratches from bumper and so on

you need a 13 mm spanner and 48,859,687 small turns to get the door bolts off,either way you do it just support the door from the start ,i shimmed cardboard on top of the milk crate or some type of stool and rest the door in the middle to avoid dropping and scratching,then just move door away from car on the crate wack out your pin and fit new bushes with a flat hammer of some type,the new pins are so easy to fit and then push on your clips to hold the pin ,bolt door back on and thats it,i have done a few and never needed to re alighn the door.