Server maintenance Read more... ×
Jestr75

AFR gauge, Worth it and which brand??

Looking at installing a AFR gauge on the XD just to monitor things and help with tuning. My car is only street driven and just want to use it for piece of mind and to aid in tuning (Not using it as the sole tuning device). Is it worth it and what brands would you recommend? I am looking at the AEM UEGO style. Feedback appreciated.

Would it be a waste of time fitting an AFR gauge after the catalytic converter? Tuners slap it up the pipe so surely not? Got a free bung there, so may as well use it if I can. 

This is what I use and have done so for around 5 years now.   
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php 

So you would have this in permanently in your beast, just wondering for an efi car, would you:
1) weld in another bung in the exhaust
2)piggy back off the factory sensor
3) unscrew the factory one and only use this for tuning.

1 hour ago, slydog said:

This is what I use and have done so for around 5 years now.   

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php 

Any problems with it? After some googling I found a few people saying they were having problems with their Innovate ones. That is why I have asked here to get real feedback. You have yours on a Six Cyl don't you slydog?? Where to install the bung could be a problem on a V8 although I haven't read there mounting instructions yet.

Mounting the sensor:

one bank is fine on a V8, but if you must, you can put it just before the cat where the 2 sides merge.

On a 2-cat exhaust, provided your engine is running fine (IE no misses or dud plugs) one bank is fine.

Yes it must be before the cat. The only time you'd shove a sensor up the pipe is when there are no cats or you're measuring NOX.

On a properly running catted car, HC and CO should be bugger all out the pipe, because the cat burns these up and uses whatever O2 the engine can't, hence the reason why you can't measure AFR after the cat.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jestr75 said:

Any problems with it? After some googling I found a few people saying they were having problems with their Innovate ones. That is why I have asked here to get real feedback. You have yours on a Six Cyl don't you slydog?? Where to install the bung could be a problem on a V8 although I haven't read there mounting instructions yet.

Mine is on the x pipe so I get every cyl go past it. Yes It is on all the time. I pre heat mine (it's in the instructions and only means holding the key to red till it reads) before a cold start. If it's been running that day I just hit the key. Issues have been it doesn't like overly rich mixtures or leaded fuels.So I run 2 sensors on the car and just unscrew and fit the one thats working if I have issues.But I have had to do this twice. Once on the dyno cos we fitting the dyno op's sensor to my exhaust and the 2nd time when I fitted a new one to the car.

If you do clog it just leave it hanging on a wall in fresh air and try it again in a moth or so time and usually they will work again. Stop start on off throttle with very rich mixtures are harder to burn off but WOT stuff will have lots of heated gases going past is alot eaiser to read obviously. So if mine was dodgy by 5 years Id know by now.   

I use the innovate LC-1. This is the one that the internet hates but I've had no issues with it.

I've installed it pre-cat always. If you do install it pre-cat in the factory location and use the narrow band emulated output it doesn't work well with EEC.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I am running a Clevo with no cat and single 3 inch system so if i put the sensor in the single system just after where the "Y" piece is it should be okay? It should read all eight cylinders from that location.