Mr Polson

Modified Hilux 4WD

37 posts in this topic

Not sure how often this'll be updated - not my car so depends how often I help out.

My younger brother decided he needed a 4WD and bought a dual cab LN65 Hilux - with a Holden 202 conversion.

He had it two weeks and the diff went bang - no teeth left on the pinion and the crownwheel gears are razor sharp. So this is how it currently is sitting on the street.0e48f57f373db40a100de7dac1fd32b4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Fortunately, the purchase included a YN65 parts car with no motor or box.

Unfortunately, the rear diff in the parts car is diesel - and a different ratio to the petrol diffs in the running one.

Thankfully the front diff in the parts car is matching ratio to the running car. So the front diff was removed from the parts car so the centre could be removed. Here's the reliable Falcon towing the parts car.217a0835aec3b35a1d8bfaefda81e08f.jpg36a21b7021aeea8fe50edf0618aa95ba.jpg

After removing the front centre from the spare diff and the rear centre from the running car the axles had to be dropped off to have new bearings put on.

f4f9fab646d9ef5e2c83055387b8258c.jpg

During this time I'd discovered the 202 has a blown head gasket - milky under the radiator cap and milky under the oil cap too.

So what the hell, let's also pull the motor apart.

ca83e7207929a0951545c92423d81f33.jpg

9fd66978a2716210809ad641f1aaf8ce.jpg

Must have a leaking radiator - only 4L of water came out of that giant alloy rad - and that is probably what caused the blown head gasket.

Definitely a 202 - at least it's red.

03a9862ae1bf03f2548742dddba4def6.jpg

So currently it's on bricks with no rear axles or diff centre - with the head ready to come off the motor.

Also needs a sump gasket which we'll do while the motor is apart - plenty of room to drop the sump off with motor in situ though.

72bc437dc12e09617715b7c7b3492b8b.jpg

Mod plate says it's approved for a 3.3L - I think we should drop a xflow in and put a 3.3L sticker on the rocker cover... But for now my brother just wants it up and running.

SPArKy_Dave likes this

how did he blow the diff? they are pretty strong.. especially with a 202..

i'd have thought the diesel ratio would be taller? .. why did the parts car have 2 different diff ratios?

how did he blow the diff? they are pretty strong.. especially with a 202..
i'd have thought the diesel ratio would be taller? .. why did the parts car have 2 different diff ratios?

I'd say the diff has been apart before and whoever set it up didn't do it properly. I'll try and remember to get some pics tonight.
Diesel ratio is higher (number wise) than a petrol - making the motor rev way more than needed at highway speeds.
Not sure why it has different diffs in the parts car.

Doesnt seem to be a good buy there.
HAve fun boys!

Was reasonably cheap buy all things considered - and doing the head on the 202 hasn't been too hard of a job.

i remember changing the exhaust manifold gasket on a holden 6, with the inlet manifold removed at same time, new gaskets and what a shit idea.. had the biggest air leak imaginable.. was on the bosses car, turned out the head and manifolds both needed machining..
was the last time the boss got me to work on his car... and the last time i worked on a holden 6 lol. My mate bought that car(LX Torana.. and traded it on an XD S pack V8 wagon.. still regrets it... even though the ford was nice, it had a lot of issues over the time he had it)

XTREME KARTS XF likes this

Head off - surprisingly light for a cast head. dc236083816fea6c6e9d814936b69b20.jpg765b35ca34dfe666baa434c53756104f.jpg5f0d94ebe1e9ebb3f1fcd7a3a8386c21.jpg

Chris, put a straight edge along the face it the exhaust and inlet manifolds with them bolted together. They can warp/sag with age causing leaks. It's nothing a good machine shop can't fix.
Mr Polson likes this

Cheers Valvebouncer - I'll my brother to check it. Doesn't bother me too much if it leaks though, more of a reason my Falcon motors are better

Here is the diff that went bang

Crownwheel

f91b3973403be3e22611891d67e51b07.jpg

0502a9475bbffcd5f84c626ac8027fc4.jpg

Pinion

a8756d47fe48a7d94484068e5482f90c.jpg

And the replacement centre - shows how the teeth should look.

50b55f7548f4da4208107f2640faf306.jpg

4ca6a1bafde6bbf967402f1b466e9eab.jpg

Valvebouncer likes this

Ahh memories...
I remember learning the hard way about these bloody engines... they used to strip the nylon cam timing gear. I forgot what my boss told me ( I was a 2nd yr apprentice at the time ) about pulling out the dizzy and choking in the camshaft with a tyre lever so the cam didn't slide backwards when knocking on the cam gear. If you don't do that the cam knocks out a welsh plug in the back of the block. Out came the Holden traumatic gearbox, flex plate off, new plug in and start all over again.

I won't hold it against you if you decide to fix it with fire.

XTREME KARTS XF likes this

I won't hold it against you if you decide to fix it with fire.

I keep telling him to fix it with a crossflows installation

No amount of bananna skins will fix that diff. RTT come with the ute? Expensive things to buy over here

Nah it's definitely stuffed.

Yeah RTT was included, it's an ARB one in really good condition, probably worth most of what he paid for the two utes.

That diffs fucked LOL. 202 = 3.3, Holden changed the casting of the block from "202" to "3.3". Around 79 80, Late HZ and VB commodore. Holden Trauma ahh i mean Trimatics? Yeah they used to traumatise you way back when LOL. Dads old HG ute had one and i've heard of a horror story from a mate about one jumping out of gear when the box was in Park. Crude they are but cheap to fix and hot up as well.

That diffs fucked LOL. 202 = 3.3, Holden changed the casting of the block from "202" to "3.3". Around 79 80, Late HZ and VB commodore. Holden Trauma ahh i mean Trimatics? Yeah they used to traumatise you way back when LOL. Dads old HG ute had one and i've heard of a horror story from a mate about one jumping out of gear when the box was in Park. Crude they are but cheap to fix and hot up as well.

Definitely seen better days that's for sure!

This one is cast as a 202, engine number decodes to be being out of a VB Commy so must be one of the last 202 before they went to 3.3.

Yeah definitely plenty of go fast bits available for the Holden 6.

So we finally got this together and back on four wheels, and took it for a test run last night...

Went well until we got a stuck throttle and brake failure at the same time.
Managed to limp it home (good thing we hadn't gone far!). Looks like one of the new wheel cylinders has failed (fluid all over back wheel and dropping out of drum.)

Mathew was not too impressed.

5 hours ago, Mr Polson said:

So we finally got this together and back on four wheels, and took it for a test run last night...

Went well until we got a stuck throttle and brake failure at the same time.
Managed to limp it home (good thing we hadn't gone far!). Looks like one of the new wheel cylinders has failed (fluid all over back wheel and dropping out of drum.)

Mathew was not too impressed.

Happened to me back in the 90's with an ek holden ,,

ol fart at bridgewater wreakers wasnt happy bout the full length fishy down his laneway ,,! 

Slow250XC and Demmo like this

playing with old junk on the cheap is hard sometimes..

but a relatively easyfix and lesson in how not to die

They were brand name (Bosch) wheel cylinders, not like we bought a cheap no name off eBay or anything.

Top quality repco parts? Haha sorry couldn't help myself, seen as you guys are our main supplier

Top "quality" Bosch/PBR, it's shit nowadays though, we get way too many wheel cylinders and master cylinders come back under warranty considering how important of a role they play in safety. Unfortunately Bosch have a pretty good monopoly on the market.

Happened to me back in the 90's with an ek holden ,,

ol fart at bridgewater wreakers wasnt happy bout the full length fishy down his laneway ,,! 

Burnout marks will wear off though!

New (2nd lot) of wheel cylinders. Also new shoes - old ones were covered in diff oil from leaking seals.9e29c19f83be69f5c2a1ea4416db4a3d.jpgfaaad37993f46a1b99eddbcbc2bac441.jpg

Motor together and running - doing a bit of playing with the carby.

0300777b5a112261d8cf3d8e4c06eb2b.jpg

Washing all the brake fluid off the back/underneath.

f4f2cfaee652ab7c171702f8433e8060.jpg

And a front photo.

859249062dc7c6f66debdd7562ee020d.jpg

i meant 30yr old stuff.. buying cheap car, trying to fix.. nearly always costs more than buying a good one..

i was told by ABS brakes today the longer shoe goes to the rear of the car(F100 of BGDAV'S was back to front, spare brake assy from wreckers was correctly assembled differently so i had to double check)

faaad37993f46a1b99eddbcbc2bac441.jpg

So I get a call from Mathew; "um I think I've blown a head gasket can you get me a tow truck"

Get there and this is the amount of smoke blowing from it, coolant looks to not only be entering a cylinder but also leaking from side of the head. Towtruck was summoned (perks of RACT Ultimate) and the Hilux was brought home.

40104839b8c5ff175b425b12175ef2e2.jpgf812032102935a3164e690cd719c3acc.jpg2daf7c2b31cf054f0d459a60dc457ab7.jpg