Jafia

Short suspected somewhere

So recently I have had some electrical Gremlins showing up in poor ol' sqeak (1994, NC, Fairlaine Ghia)

First it was a blown dashlight, not biggie, could still see all the readings, and when the headlights were on the main dashlights were also on.

Recently they've gotten worse, they other week, the dashlights when the headlights were on started flicking on and off, then a about a week ago they refuse to come on, which also means my warning sound when I leave my headlights on also doesn't sound (it's disturbing how reliant I've become on that little sound Anyway, today I noticed that my tail lights are also dead and brake lights too. Reverse lights work and the back brake light on the parcel shelf work though.

Fuses are okay, spent the time to check those.

Next need to check the globes for the tail and brake lights, although I suspect that will not do much, usually one globe will go not both and usually you will get brakes but no tail lights or vice versa, and both at once, not unheard of I suppose, but I suspect unlikely. I am suspecting a short somewhere *sigh* which will mean off to an auto elec, because I know nothing about the electrical side of things in cars :(

Anyone had any similar issues? What turned out to be the problem? And expensive to fix?

I am an IDIOT!!!
After taking a better look in the daylight, I realised that I didn't check the Tail Lamp Relay, so I replaced that... Yep it was dead, although still had no brake lights, turns out that although I thought it was unlikely both bulbs were blown... $10 and 5 mins time and I have no more gremlins in the electrics *phew* and more $$ to actually spend on getting her a decent service and a bit of TLC :)