xr6tjet

Cleaning underbody with wire brush - any asbestos in factory deadener?

Hi guys,

Wearing a 3m mask when I remove/clean the underbody deadener on my XE project. Just wondering whether there is asbestos in the deadener at all? Couldn't find much info on it. More for curiosity.

Regards, Alex.

99% of the under body deadener used by any manufacturer is bitumen based. So bit of solvent, some tar, rubber compounds left over from tyres probably.. That kind of thing. No fibrous material because it's sprayed on mostly.

Watch the internal yellow fibre kind like on the firewall, heater, roof etc. Mostly fibreglass but could be more than that.

14 hours ago, 2redrovers said:

99% of the under body deadener used by any manufacturer is bitumen based. So bit of solvent, some tar, rubber compounds left over from tyres probably.. That kind of thing. No fibrous material because it's sprayed on mostly.

Watch the internal yellow fibre kind like on the firewall, heater, roof etc. Mostly fibreglass but could be more than that.

Thanks for your reply mate, that is good to know. I wear the 3m mask anyway just wanted to be sure it didn't contain any of it. Its got that much dirt on it I'm wire brushing it all to break it up.

A blow torch or intense heat source works to soften it and the bulk can be scraped off with a paint scraper etc. Residue can be washed off with thinners or brushed off like your doing now.

Hmm, I hear the best way is to freez it. Source yourself some dry ice, cover the tar in the dryice, and wait a minute or 2 for it to get really fkn cold. Then give it a few taps with a hammer and it should smash to bits.
Never done this, but this is the general method people use so im told.

I've heard of the dry ice but under the car I think this would be a mission and a half ! I'm going to stick with cleaning it up with the wire brush and cleaners I don't need to take it off just want to give it a freshen up :)

I used dry ice for the inside deadening and it does work very well. It near instantly becomes brittle and you can then chip it off with a hammer just like Q has said.

I think it would work for the underside as well but holding it there would be a pain. In the end I used a heat gun and scraper for the job with a wire wheel after that.

Brings back some lovely memories......uuugh lol

8 hours ago, JETFTR said:

I used dry ice for the inside deadening and it does work very well. It near instantly becomes brittle and you can then chip it off with a hammer just like Q has said.

I think it would work for the underside as well but holding it there would be a pain. In the end I used a heat gun and scraper for the job with a wire wheel after that.

Brings back some lovely memories......uuugh lol

wouldnt it work if placed on the inside of the car?(would the cold go through the metal?)

I never tried this dean, it might just work or at least help somewhat. I did try a little bit of contact cleaner as it kinda freezes when you spray it and it was working but I was going through far too much to make it worthwhile lol

6 hours ago, Slow250XC said:

Bring it over here, minus 5 in the mornings should help haha

the seam sealer on my gemini chips off with a screw driver in the cold weather.. not so when its warm