Sign in to follow this  
Stu5766

Solid Cam

Evening people. I'm just in he process of upgrading to a solid camshaft. Have decided to go with a Crane F246.

Its a 351 30 thou over with 4MA Crank, closed camber 2v's with port work. Roller rockers, airgap manifold with 750HP DP. MSD dizzy, 4 into 1 pace makers with twin 2.5 system. Also I have calculated the comp ratio & its 10.6 : 1.

Whats people's experience dailing in this cam & what kind of HP would I expect from it?

Cheers stu.

Subscribed, i'd be interested to know myself, very similar (pretty much identical) combo to mine. What cam were you running previously and what power did it make?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, MNTL.XD said:

Subscribed, i'd be interested to know myself, very similar (pretty much identical) combo to mine. What cam were you running previously and what power did it make?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

G'day mate. It had a XE274. It pulled 272HP at the wheels, but with less comp. I've just had 25thou taken off of the heads. It was good for a 13.3 1/4 mile pass with a top loader & 3.9 LSD 9". I'm hoping to exceed 300rwhp & drop it into the 12's.

Mate there are quite a few more hydraulic ones above the one you have before needing to go solid, but if you must go with solid, so be it

I guess solids have a much more aggressive opening than hydraulics, so comparing apples and oranges.

1 hour ago, gerg said:

Mate there are quite a few more hydraulic ones above the one you have before needing to go solid, but if you must go with solid, so be it emoji16.png

I guess solids have a much more aggressive opening than hydraulics, so comparing apples and oranges.

The Crane F246 seems to have proven itself as a good performer in various applications. My engine has the adjustable rockers, guide plates, & valve springs setup. The F246 also sounds cranky as with a set of iron heads.

F246 has been the  basic go to all rounder for years with clevos. Was a very popular cam to use in the 90's for a tuff street clevo. Many were 12 second cars with pretty good drivability. With the better manifolds and heads available these days you could screw some decent power out of that same cam these days. In saying that theres probably many more grinds that would work better than that cam as well now.

6 hours ago, blu xe said:

F246 has been the  basic go to all rounder for years with clevos. Was a very popular cam to use in the 90's for a tuff street clevo. Many were 12 second cars with pretty good drivability. With the better manifolds and heads available these days you could screw some decent power out of that same cam these days. In saying that theres probably many more grinds that would work better than that cam as well now.

It's an old school car with iron heads, so should be happy with the cranky sound it makes & will be more than happy if I get it into the 12's.

Well I had some progress this arvo. I degreed the cam & it was within .5 of a degree straight up at dot to dot. I would up fitting the 40 thou style steel  "O" ring style head gaskets, so comp will be a tad higher than expected. The contact point of the roller on the tip of the valve stem is near on dead in the middle.