rocklord

Input Shaft Length on T-5

I have an EL bellhousing for my 4.0L and a T-5 from an '86-'91 V8 Mustang.  I'm trying to determine if this transmission will work with the bellhousing.

What is the input shaft length for a T-5 in an EL 4.0L?  The shaft length for the T-5 I have is 7.18-inches (182.37mm).  The shaft length for T-5s in '94 and later Mustangs is 7.85-inches (199.39mm).   I've attached a diagram of a T-5; I'm looking for the "B" dimension on the diagram (from the tip of the input shaft to the case.

Thanks in advance.

T5-Transmission-Measurements.jpg

the t5 from the 5.0 litre v8 has a longer input shaft then the 4.0 litre box from the falcons. this is why the i6 box is used in conversions on clevos. ( as i have done on my Fairlane)

easiest way to determine if it will suit your application is to bolt the box to the trans and put a straight edge or flat bar on the mounting face of the bellhousing, if any more than the section of input shaft where the spigot bearing seats is sticking out past the mounting face of the bellhousing then your input shaft is too long.

from memory the input shaft on the 6cyl box is about 165mm long

XF-EL Ford 6 T5: 167mm
Aussie Ford V8: 193mm

They went to a V8 length input from AU onwards.

The Mustang one is about 5/8" (16mm) longer than the 6 cyl, so you could shorten it by that much and still use that box. Professional job only though.

Is the total length of the box/bellhousing and the shifter location right?

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

My input shaft is 13mm (0.50") to long then, but will measure to make sure ZHlane.

Guess I could have a spacer made to go between the bellhousing and T-5 to move the input shaft in the correct position.

Modern Driveline in the USA makes an adapter to mate the '94 and later T-5 to the earlier bellhousing.

Thanks for all who responded.

if you go the way of the adaptor plate, be sure to make sure you will have the correct amount of spline for clutch plate travel and also enough length on the release bearing bushing to get enough travel.

worts case a correct length shaft t5 only costs around $200 from the average pick a part in melbourne.

i paid $230 for a full conversion kit from an xf, from flywheel to tailshaft. 

Good points ZHlane.

I'm at a disadvantage on acquiring an EL 4.0L T-5 since I live in the USA. 

I could look just for the correct length input shaft and have it shipped.

I'll have a scrounge around my stash on the weekend, I have a blown up 6 cyl t5 here (it didnt agree with the clevo that was in front of it) I'll pull out the input shaft to see if it's any good

I'll have a scrounge around my stash on the weekend, I have a blown up 6 cyl t5 here (it didnt agree with the clevo that was in front of it) I'll pull out the input shaft to see if it's any good

That'll work if the tooth count was the same, but that Mustang box has a 3.35 1st, whereas the Falcon 6 cyl boxes had either 3.50 or 3.25, so I doubt the input shaft gears will match.

was there a 3.35 1st single rail box at all? I seem to recall that the input shaft on the t5 was the same as the borgy single rail for a given ratio. but I haven't played around with that type of box for a while so cant confirm, can someone with more knowledge on them confirm or tell me if I am just plain wrong?

Not aware of any ratios lining up between the boxes, also the helical angle on the T5 gear teeth is much higher, of course making them incompatible. I assume this applies to the input gear as well.

That'll work if the tooth count was the same, but that Mustang box has a 3.35 1st, whereas the Falcon 6 cyl boxes had either 3.50 or 3.25, so I doubt the input shaft gears will match.

Even if they fitted the one I have I checked today and it's no good it's got at least .040" runout and a few missing teeth

Even if they fitted the one I have I checked today and it's no good it's got at least .040" runout and a few missing teeth

Lol sounds like a few of the patrons at my local pub