Server maintenance Read more... ×
Lord_fahrquhar

The front yard special

So...

The bug has hit to own a car with bulk grunt before we all turn to an electric future.  That and she who must be obeyed has vetoed other choices/platforms which lend themselves to power ups which you would:

a.  not do because of their rarity or pure cubic dollar value (like a merc sl)

b.  too new (anything really)

c.  a holden (has taste)

d.  looks evil (gt falcon, but I don't have a problem with that)

So that leaves the old falcon ute with a 5 speed and a efi 4.1.  Now I contemplated doing a Windsor conversion, which would have been simpler, easier, and make v8 noises which appeals to me on a deep level.

But I've really enjoyed the journey with this car, and being a bit different appeals to both me and the missus.  It is nice to drive something a bit old school knowing you've done it yourself even if said device is being outrun by a diesel golf.  And thats the problem, being outrun by the diesel golf.

Now the current 4.1 thats in the car has a cam ct142-528, 5/16 yella terra roller rockers, jp timing chain.  Also has an eb inlet.  Languishing in the front yard has been the original numbers motor, which I put on a stand and pulled down last weekend.  And even though the mains and rod bearings were fucked, generally the crank was fine, and lifter bores good.  So after 4 years outside under a tarp its looking pretty good.

So the plans are  to build a solid motor that can take a bit of boost without going to ridiculous levels.  400-450 is the goal

(and feel free to rubbish and offer advice).  

Bottom end

• balanced bottom end
  • Ef crank (I won't need it but I've got a free one)
  • Arp rod bolts
  • New cast pistons acl
  • New oil pump (not a hi vol)

Head

• Wagoon (Ryan) sold me a head with some porting already done
  • Ferrea inlets and exhausts 1.6" Windsor exhausts and f1220P inlets
  • Isky 235d +retainers+collets
  • rollers from the existing motor to be transferred over

Cam

• open to choice but think the CT142-528 will do the job. But open to something with more lift if you guys recommend it

Turbo

• gt3582r or master power t70

Injection 

• Eb inlet and possibly mega squirt

Anyway, happy to take advice

Dave

I have what I assume is an 86DA motor in my carport. I'm going to be taking the sump and a few pieces of it for mine. If you want the block or anything off it before it goes to scrap, it's all yours.  

I'll be watching to see how it this goes. 

Funny you should say that, the motor pulled from the front yard is an 86DA.  intent is to do the manifold mockup on that motor and a standard head on the stand.

I had a look after pulling that motor down and its in good nick inside (apart from fucked bearings) so will probably use that motor and the bits above.

I might need a timing cover, weighing up whether to go crank trigger or stay with Hall effect for ignition

I'm interested to see what people think of the cam. I'm doing one ATM aswell with a similar cam only because I have it. Turbo engines supposedly don't a lot of overlap. My engine is basic mid 8's comp with basically standard e1 head. Xf efi with j3 to tune it.

Hi Dave, just checking how you are going with your build. I'm interested because I want to do something similar and I've been reading the forums for the last year. I'm still in planning but I've got the parts to go in a similar direction, efi, MS, boost etc..

Keen to know where you are up to if you are in a position to share :-)

Ah this little project....

i have a pile of bits. but as yet unassembled.

ef crank - free

xf block - have ground out the relief on the block to allow rollers

valves springs and head

inlet manifold - done previously.

pistons - to be brought 

rod bolts - need to get

cam not yet brought

panzerwagens are in the way at the moment.