Server maintenance Read more... ×
X-F250

NC 4.0 Acceleration Issue

Hey fellas,
I'm having an issue with the Fairlane. It seems to be idling rough, a bit low and if you rev it lightly or try to hold it at about 1000rpm the engine stumbles and nearly cuts out. I tried cleaning out the throttle body, doesn't seem to have done very much.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Fuel filter was done when the last service was done at the start of last year, but the old bloke parked it immediately after it was done. The service log recommends cleaning the injectors but I don't think it was ever done.

Mine did that ,,

blocked muffler 

sounded like a cyclone out the tail pipe ,,

" when it did start and idle "

Exhaust noise on mine sounds normal, although on start up I sometimes have to give it a few revs to get it to idle. I'll check the injectors, they seem to be the likely culprit.

First up be plugs , 

then if efi unplug the green plug and check timing ,,

mine was " surging" on acceleration ,, 

worked out i was setting it at 10 deg ,, with the green plug connected ,,,

was always 12 deg out 

Once again, you blokes have saved the day. Bumped the timing up a little bit and now the hesitation is barely there and it doesn't bog down under load. It still drops off for a moment if you very lightly touch the pedal, but I think that might be the injectors.

Whack a bottle of injector cleaner in her and take it for a good run... will clean her up... all good. Fuel filter will of kept the rail and injectors clean enough.

Sent from my GT-S7583T

Aaaand It's started back up again. I've been driving the old man's ute since our roady bloke has been on holidays. Went to get the 'lane ready for inspection and ran a bit of Seafoam through it just to be safe. Let it run for a while and it started to get shuddery. Fuel pump was also whining a bit, so I figured it might be the pump on it's way out. Swapped it for a spare I had, and as I was doing it the fuel that came out of the line was a really dark brown, almost like Vegemite. It had a quarter of a tank when I bought it and I've only 5L of fuel in since then. It sat in the previous owners garage for almost a year before that. Any chance it's just some pretty crappy old fuel making it run badly?

Yes. Drain tank, but you also need to flush the lines until the fuel filter.... with clean fuel, after its the right colour.... new filter... new pump with filter sock.

Something has contaminated the tank, clean completely before refill.

Ive had cars sit 10 years and not do that.... just fuel gets stale.

You just stirred up all the crap in the tank with 5L.

Good luck.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk