CHESTNUTXE

single rail 1st gear teeth how many ?

hey i just counted the teeth on what i think is 1st gear its the one right at the end of the picture right side and i got 31 teeth does this mean its the 3,06 first gear single rail ? cause there is no tag on the box ? and i assume the 3.50 1st 6cyl box will have 35 teeth ?WP_20170519_12_25_37_Pro_zpsisivazz1.jpg

something aint right big gear has 31 teeth and the one it drives is 14 teeth which makes 2.2 ratio ,there must be some sought of different way to calcuate the ratio ?

Would be good to have a list of them all with the 0503-xxx numbers

0503-008 1st 2.46 2nd 1.78 3rd 1.27 4th 1.00

0503-009 1st 3.06 2nd 1.84 3rd 1.38 4th 1.00

0503-011 1st 3.27 2nd 1.99 3rd 1.38 4th 1.00 This is rough guesstimate tho.

The 009 box seems to be the most popular for mild v8 and worked 6 engines,im getting one rebuilt atm with new bearing kit ,and 4 new syncros ,also fitted new alloy lock down nut,new shifter saddle,shifter ball,cant wait to put it behind the worked crossy,if i dont like it i will try the t5 out of xg with 3.25 first.

I had the 009 behind my 302 and I reckon it was a perfect match for the torque curve. She started making some bearing noises but I suppose 30 years sitting around will do that.

The old 015 wide ratio 6-cyl one went in after that and combined with the 3.27 diff, was a step backwards.

Any shorter is just wasting rpms going nowhere IMO

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

yep i figerd the 009 was the go for the new worked crossy as ford offerd this box in the efi xe 250,and possibly 84-85 xf's,i still have the 008 here which is the 351 box,i sold it to a guy 1 month ago and he paid me and i have never heard from him again:Pi have another 009 box here i have no idea how good it is,but i was gunna keep it as a parts box ,its complete78 da box was a 302c xc box or 250 as the 009 was std fittment behind 4.1 xd and xc,except for 200.c.i.

Be careful about how much torque you put through a wide-ratio box, especially in a heavy car. The higher-capacity boxes always have taller 1st gears due to the lower primary reduction.

I would be sus about putting a 6-cyl rail behind a V8 or even a healthy 6, these boxes are really only a medium-duty unit. One look inside them and you'll see how tiny those gears are... just imagine that kind of power going through them. I actually broke 2 teeth off second in a 3.06 box in my 6-cyl Cortina.

If you do run one, at least put some decent synthetic gearbox oil in it.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

On 13/07/2017 at 7:08 AM, gerg said:

Be careful about how much torque you put through a wide-ratio box, especially in a heavy car. The higher-capacity boxes always have taller 1st gears due to the lower primary reduction.

I would be sus about putting a 6-cyl rail behind a V8 or even a healthy 6, these boxes are really only a medium-duty unit. One look inside them and you'll see how tiny those gears are... just imagine that kind of power going through them. I actually broke 2 teeth off second in a 3.06 box in my 6-cyl Cortina.

If you do run one, at least put some decent synthetic gearbox oil in it.

i did 80,000kms on a fully reco 6cyl cortina single rail (lowest first gear i had of the three 6cyl boxes i gave the reco mob) behind My 351 with 2.92 diff..

it always got floored from a stand still, but most of the kms were highway and it only had engine oil in the box(reco mobd recomendation.. never changed it either)

i broke 3 single rails that wern't rebuilt with it first, one lasted a week only.. so i think in good condition they are fine... they often have no oil in them due to the selector shaft seal being chopped out(due to the shifter housing also having worn bushes)

8 hours ago, tpak addict said:

This is definitely (011) 3.26 1st 1.99 2nd as I checked it...

The other box I have is a (009) 3.06 1st 1.84 2nd

Its only running a stock 4.1EFI with extractors and exhaust. so should be fine

Definitely put a selector shaft seal in it to keep the oil in, never seen one that didn't piss oil out.

I have a single rail, not sure if it's a 6cyl or 8cyl one???
Had it rebuilt, seems to work as it should, we will see how it goes in the future I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you dont bang it around to hard it should be fine,if its out of a xc or xd more than likley its a 009 box 250/302, or xb 2.78 first all 6 and 8 except 008 351 box 2.46 first.

if you dont bang it around to hard it should be fine,if its out of a xc or xd more than likley its a 009 box 250/302, or xb 2.78 first all 6 and 8 except 008 351 box 2.46 first.

I believe it's a XC box from what I was told, I'll check the numbers once it gets here.

I'll go a top loader next, if this ever gives trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk