BobStrop

XE Speedo and Odometer Issue

The speedo and odometer have both stopped working in my XE...

Ive replaced the main drive gear (the double ratio one) in the meter and replaced the entire instrument cluster but still no count, although im not a hundred percent sure if the second cluster was working (has all the gears).

Im thinking now its got to be the wiring or the transducer. Ive checked the gear on the transducer and its good condition...but what does the gear in the transmission shaft(?) connect to?

Have been looking for another transducer but there doesnt seem to be any for an XE and im yet to test the 8V.

This is the one thats in there. Good to know ive definitely got an XE one now though.

IMAG0551.thumb.jpg.917b1f3ff550c6702808a0c5bd8d0b1b.jpg

you could fit the XF one.. if that works(it will read 20% faster) then you know its the sender(transducer)

if not. you'd have to start tracing wires or find an instrument mob(where are you located?)

the gear inside the gearbox connects to the output shaft, i have only ever head of one that had fallen off(probably due to someone doing something silly?)

actually now i think of it.
if you fitted an XF transducer and say the gear on the XE one was a 19tooth you might get away with fitting the XF one with a 22 or 23tooth gear (20% difference ish) and your speedo(and therefore odometer) should be close (this is assuming the diff ratio is standard with 2.77 or 2.92)

Theres an XF one online now for $40 so that might be worth saving time tracing wires, ill have a think. Im in Sydney...

Yeah, the tooth increase is an nice idea (it is a 19 tooth). Ill get time on Saturday to have a go.

What does the plastic gear actually connect to? Straight to the transmission but how?

35 minutes ago, BobStrop said:

Theres an XF one online now for $40 so that might be worth saving time tracing wires, ill have a think. Im in Sydney...

Yeah, the tooth increase is an nice idea (it is a 19 tooth). Ill get time on Saturday to have a go.

What does the plastic gear actually connect to? Straight to the transmission but how?

there is another gear that is mounted on the output shaft inside the extension housing, rarely have issues, should be able to see it with a torch, might even be able to touch it

The gear on the output shaft is called the driving gear and the one on the sender is called the driven gear. 

The driving gear can get worn out (have experienced this).

If you pull the sender out and feel the driving gear with your finger by moving the finger across the gear it should be flat.  If worn out will have a noticeable inwards curve.

To correctly test the sender you really need an oscilloscope (see the pulses coming out as it spins) and to test the speedo you need a pulse generator (input pulses to move the speedo needle).  Not many have that type of gear available, but below is a simple test...

Check continuity of all the wires between the sender and the back of the cluster.

At the sender end, the red wire should have 8v from the cluster, the black is ground (chassis/battery -ve) and the white wire is the pulses into the speedo.

A quick test if you have a multimeter:-

With the sender removed from the trans but plugged into the loom... ignition On.

Set meter, on DC 12v range, stick the red probe on the red (8v) wire (or +12v battery) and the black probe on the white wire. Turn the sender slowly and the voltage should fluctuate.  One of the old needle type meter would be better but if you turn the sender slowly it should go to 8v then 0v then 8v etc.

If you stick a drill onto the driven cog and run it then the needle on the cluster should indicate (make sure you hold the sender firmly if doing this test).

Oh, and the XE sender is same as XD.  XF onwards will fit but as mentioned above has a different number of pulses per revolution output.  As I recall (but could be wrong) the pinout is different between the XD/XE and XF.

Ill hopefully get a chance to take the car to a mates pits this weekend to check these...hopefully theres no rain.

Im having trouble with it running rich now but ill start another thread for that perhaps...

24 minutes ago, BobStrop said:

The connector plug between the transducer and the wiring loom has 12/13Vs on it??!!

from memory(i haven't touched one for ages) it has 3 wires.... earth, pulse and a voltage(guessing it could be 8volts if it comes from the dash? otherwise 12 ish)
i highly doubt its an issue with the car wiring. i've had about 10 transducers die over the 20yrs or so i've been driving these cars

Yeah, ill have to have another crack...Id say its gotta be the transducer but fucked if ill be able to find an XE one. Might have to settle with an XF part.

There is battery voltage on the red wire, white wire is the pulse out, black wire is ground. If you dont have an osciloscope then use an led test light to see if there is a pulse coming out of the signal wire. It may not provide you with an acurate trace but will provide you with an indication whether or not the sensor is outputting a signal. Should also be a reference voltage at the signal wire from the instrument cluster that is grounded and open circuited to provide the cluster with the square wave pattern required. I had a problem witha 2003 transit at work the other day where someone had transplanted an injected 5l v8 engine into it. Unfortunately for him the BCM provided a reference voltage to power up the sensor and provide a reference voltage. The fix to get it working again was to fit the standard sensor and constructed a dc to dc power supply and simple voltage divider circuit to provide a reference voltage. This method I found was More compatible with ecu and transmission controll pulse rates that a uiniversal induction sensor or tapping into existing vehicle speed sensor signals from abs etc. This in turn restored speed signal to the ecu and then by consequence corrected transmission shift problems or more acurately the lack of.

On 5/10/2017 at 10:27 PM, BobStrop said:

There is a gear on the output shaft of the tranny. From memory the fmx automatig has teeth cut into the output shaft as it is 31 spline, otherwise all the others have a plastioc gear on the output shaft.

I have had similar issues in the past. Could be a faulty cluster or as mentioned the transducer or gears. I had a single rail once where the C clip popes off the out put shaft & the drive gear slid backwards. Recently in the XD my speedo stopped working. I thought it was the traducer gear, but it was fine. I got a mate to sit in the car with the ignition on & I spun the gear p by hand. The speedo started to pulse. I removed the extension housing & expected to see the drive gear had worn out or come adrift. What I found was it was slightly work & the remains of a previous gear stripped off & jammed up in the drive gear. I was able to clean it all out & get it running again. Both gears are available from rare spares for manuals. Autos from memory have steal drive gears & are cut the opposite way.

The loom has definitely got 12V on it so im currently trying to investigate that issue. It seems the car has been rewired over the years and the colours dont match whats described in the Gregorys...alot of tracing to be done!

Righteo!...

So ive sussed the original instrument PCB and im pretty sure the diodes are shot (Its sending 12V to the transducer). I got a spare dash and plugged it in and it gave the 7/8V. Connected it all up and still not speedo/odo. I then changed the trandsucer that i got off ebay (not 100% that its working though) and still not working.

Not sure what else to try??

Hey fellas,

Just got back from overseas and am back onto the issue...im stuck as to what i should try. Should i just sell the thing and hope someone will buy it? Can anyone recommend a bloke in Sydney to take it to? Im worried she wont pass rego with this issue.

Much appreciated, cheers

i wouldn't sell a car because the odo doesn't work.. if you love the car, you'll regret the probably cheapest repair on it.

i cant remember if you've tried a different cluster.. for  $35 you could try another cluster complete fit the odo gears in and then retry..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-XD-Instrument-Cluster-/253084040646?hash=item3aecfbfdc6:g:EqwAAOSw9OFZMCwc

i would imagine it wouldn't cost more than $200 to fix if you paid someone.. including the mechanic that passes it for rego 

Yeah, i really dont want to get rid of it...

Ive changed the cluster and the transducer before but still nothing (although not sure if they work). Anyawy, i found a place today in Sydney that does instruments and taken it all to them. They reckon they can fix it all so once they are working, i can go from there.

Thanks.

On 6/3/2017 at 6:49 AM, nickyp00 said:

. I had a problem witha 2003 transit at work the other day where someone had transplanted an injected 5l v8 engine into it.........

I wanna see this. ^ ^ ^ ^  :lol:

Good to look at, wait till you have to fix the bloody thing, at least now I know how everything has been made to work and can doa  few thingson it. The next time its in wil take a pic and post it.

Alrighty, so ive got two working clusters now and one of the two transducers is defo not working...

Ive got five wires going under the floor, across the top of the transmission and im not sure exaclty where they should be going. So, three are for the transducer and what are the other two for? I think theyve been mixed up? And what are each of the three on the transducer? Im guessing the outside two are the 8V and the middle is the signal?

from memory(you'll need to verify) 

the 3 for the transducer are, 

earth, 8v in.. and signal to the dash.

the other 2 wires (should be 4 if auto) reverse switch wires if manual join them and the reverse lights come on? (probably should check a wiring diagram first.)

if there was 4 the other 2 would be neutral switch

Ahh yes, reverse switch...but which wire is which on the transducer? Are you saying from left to right is earth, 8v, signal? And what way are you looking at it?

Thanks.

Ok, ive just ordered this XF transducer http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GENUINE-FORD-SPEEDO-TRANSDUCER-XF-EA-EB-ED-EF-EL-AU-BA-BF/220917249610?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I know it wont give the same reading as an XE but ive got no other choice (cant find an old one).

The problem is this has a plug but my XE just has the wires so im not sure which wire is which on the transducer...Theres white, black and blue in that order if youre looking directly front on to the tooth gear with the clip at the back and the wire loom hanging down. Hope that makes sense ha ha.

White wire 8.2v to speedo transducer (input) - violet or blue is speedo signal to dash ( output) and black is earth. Hope makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk