Sign in to follow this  
uterus

4.0 into bronco

Ok i have a 1981 ford bronco with a 4.1 crossflow and just picked up an el 1998 falcon is it possible to put that engine into the bronco? And make it work? I havent ruled out keeping the manual 4x4 gearbox or would i be better of keeping the auto box thats attatched to the engine? Now i do understand im going to be up for a bit of work im not afraid of that. I just in all honesty think it will be better than a 351 in it. And would i be able to adapt the transfer case to the auto gear box?

Can't really help with any of this but just need to say it sounds like an awesome build and would be great to keep it manual 4x4. I've always wanted a bronco or swb f100 4x4 to drop a turbo barra into, make sure you start a build thread if you end up doing it mate

Pretty sure Bronco came out with the c4 auto (or maybe its c6) with transfer case attached for 4wd. I could be wrong, but if not you can get aftermarket bellhousings for the 4.0 to c4. As to a btr with transfer case, I have no idea if you can but worth a look though

Well i will be starting a build thread thats for sure. I have started work on stripping the el. Im taking all the wiring loom from inside the dash as i figure it will be easier in the long run. And i just sorted out the idling problem with the 4 litre it was the idle control switch so engine is strong as so thats always a good start. 

Nice.  Sounds like a great project, and something different.

But........

On 5/9/2017 at 11:24 PM, uterus said:

I just in all honesty think it will be better than a 351 in it..........

Lol i want to keep it as a 6 it originally came out with one so it will stay as 1 just newer. I will keep my options open to the manual box as it will be easier to marry everything back up thats for sure and i will only have to get a bell housing to suit to 4 litre and possibly shorten rear tail shaft and extend front one but thats where my fabricating trade of 20 years will come into play. I originally only wanted to  cut the rust from the fire wall but wanted to take the engine out to do it properly and i thought i may as well change the engine out. And yeah i have wanted a bronco for about 17 years got 1 in febuary this year always wanted an f100 since i was 5 im now 40 i got a long wheel base 1. 3 years ago now it has a 351 c so i wasnt fussed for having 1 in the bronco i wanted to go a little different with this one.

Ok so what i have been able to find out is the manual gear box in the bronco is a NP435 and its bolted up to a 250 crossflow. So im hoping someone may have made a casting to suit the 4 litre. I cant seem to find any info on it though.

17 minutes ago, bear351c said:

Could try ringing Dellow Automotive, if they still exist, they did all kinds of conversion bell housings.

Ok i will do sum research on them. Cheers mate

Maybe you could get hold of an undrilled bell and come up with your own mounting arrangements.

Might require 4.0 flywheel and pressure plate clamping the F-series friction plate with a custom pilot bearing. Fork might be a drama depending on if you want hyd or cable setup.

Do you know if the NP input shaft is the same length as a Falcon T5's?

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, gerg said:

Maybe you could get hold of an undrilled bell and come up with your own mounting arrangements.

Might require 4.0 flywheel and pressure plate clamping the F-series friction plate with a custom pilot bearing. Fork might be a drama depending on if you want hyd or cable setup.

Do you know if the NP input shaft is the same length as a Falcon T5's?

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Ok my gear box is 6.5 inch output and t5 is approx 7.2 and it varies a little i found out the dellow automotive dont anwser their phone. And i am thinking i will have a go at making  the bell housing at this point ive got nothing to loose. Hey i havent even got either of the engines out yet. I want to know what im in for before i commit to taking my bronco of the road.

So, cut the 2 bell housings and TIG them together..?? Make a "Frankenhousing".......:o.

Would solve the match up problem, but you could also make it the right length/distance. Big job.

2 hours ago, bear351c said:

So, cut the 2 bell housings and TIG them together..?? Make a "Frankenhousing".......:o.

Would solve the match up problem, but you could also make it the right length/distance. Big job.

Thats actually not as silly as it sounds. In about a month when i have both the engines out i will start trying to match it all up and then i will be able to see what im up against. Auto seems a lot easier as adapting tbe transfer case will be rather easy but not as much fun as the manual.