Sign in to follow this  
Defective

What to look for when checking out a new motor?

I'm going to look at a new motor for my van next weekend, it's had a fair bit of work done to it, but it's now out of the car so can't be heard running, although I haveĀ seen a video of it running

What can I check to verify its not just a stocker with a price tag?

also, do all t5s have t5 cast on the side of the box? I just wanna make sure it's not a sigma box lol.

This is what's supposed to be done to it.

"20 over acl acl bearings polished crank 494 lift crow cam Aussie speed intake yellow terra roller rockers heads has had $800 spent on it alone 650dp carb with a kit and new bowl extractors double row roll master timing set electronic dizzy"

hes chasing $1500, which I think is fair if it's all legit.

Best way to identify T5 is reverse location. Be under fifth on T5, and next to first (?? Maybe 2nd?) on Sigma box. Shifters also look different.

Ask to see the motor with rocker cover off should give a reasonable idea on internal condition.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reciepts for work. If the Bloke is fair dinkum he should be able to take rocker cover off which you could ask cause not like he is driving around with engine in car now.

I know if i was selling a motor I would be taking off cover for a buyer

Like with any motor its a gamble on any good or not

T5 gear stick bolts on to the gear shift assy with 2 bolts.. cast iron bell housing, clutch fork on the left side.

sigma box bell housing is alloy, cant unbolt the bell housing without taking it off the motor, gear shift screws in like a single rail from memory..

as for the motor.. i've bought 2 "reco" engines that weren't built right .. one chewed dissy gears till i binned it. the other had the cam wiped probably due to run in proceedure. they were reco'd (bored etc, just fucked... )

buying an engine is risky no doubt, but so is buying a car..

Thanks guys, sure is risky buying like this. Especially when a stocker Crossy is worth a couple of hundy at best so if the motor isn't what it's supposed to be then it's an expensive aussiespeed manifold and Holley lol.

Ā 

its a near two hour drive each way for me, so I'm taking the trailer with me if it's any good but I'm quite prepared to come back empty handed if it seems dodge.

Ā 

Ā 

I'm no Holley expert but I thought the largest 2 barrel carb they make is 500cfm. From memory a 650dp is a 4 barrel. That's clearly a 2 barrel in the video.

Ā 

Will yella terra roller rocker fit under the stock valve cover? I couldn't see a spacer but I'm pretty sure there isn't much room under there.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Valvebouncer said:

I'm no Holley expert but I thought the largest 2 barrel carb they make is 500cfm.

Nope . There is bigger :)Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

2 hours ago, Valvebouncer said:

I'm no Holley expert but I thought the largest 2 barrel carb they make is 500cfm. From memory a 650dp is a 4 barrel. That's clearly a 2 barrel in the video.

Ā 

Will yella terra roller rocker fit under the stock valve cover? I couldn't see a spacer but I'm pretty sure there isn't much room under there.

I always thought you needed a spacer, or aftermarket cover too. One reason why so many use aussiespeed rocker covers.

I always thought you needed a spacer, or aftermarket cover too. One reason why so many use aussiespeed rocker covers.

I thought they fit fine under tin covers but not the EFI alloy one?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'd be dropping the sump and rocker cover off. Gaskets are cheap and easy to replace. Gearbox and carb are not what he claims from the pics so he rather doesn't know what's he is on about or not telling the truth?

Fresh paint doesn't mean fresh internals

I'd be dropping the sump and rocker cover off. Gaskets are cheap and easy to replace. Gearbox and carb are not what he claims from the pics so he rather doesn't know what's he is on about or not telling the truth?
Fresh paint doesn't mean fresh internals

Seller has never claimed it's a t5, just that it's a five speed.
And it could still be a 650 two barrel, won't know until I look at it.

He's given me no real reason to doubt him, I'm probably just being a bit paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a 650dpĀ is not a 2 barrel. I'd still be taking the sump and rocker cover off,Ā Cheap insurance. I'm not having a go but $1500 is $1500. Xflow'sĀ always come up for sale at good prices and pretty much run forever.Ā 

Ā 

It may be a 650 but not a double pumper. Anyhow the carb on it in the vid is a 2 barrel on a adaptor plate and in the pic its a black 4 barrel carb.

You will just have to go have alook.

At the end of the day if you where to buyĀ an new aussiespeed manifold andĀ Ā 650DP you would be looking a over $1000.