Server maintenance Read more... ×
'Nova

302 Cleveland wont turn over

Hey Guys,

We've got a bit of a dilemer.

We have a rebuilt C6, we pulled the transmission and the motor out, the C6 was rebuilt and now we're peiceing it all back together now and have the motor in.

We pieced it all back together, putting the flex plate and touque convertor on the engine would turn over, no problems at all.

We're now up to setting the timing and putting the distributor back in and need to reset the timing, however we cannot get the engine to turn over in any gear.

The tail shaft is not in the car yet so even if it was in gear, it should turn over?

Appreciate any help.

Did you make sure the torque converter is engaged with the transmission pump correctly?

There are several stages of engagement, and it often requires rotating the torque converter back and forth on the transmission input shaft,
to get it to click home correctly.

At the risk of stating the obvious -
that's why you always fit the converter to the transmission first, then offer the trans/converter assembly to the engine.

Starter motor isn't on. 

I'd say its needs to come apart by the sounds of it. I was a bit limited in what I could do yesterday because of an injruy, but I'll put it to the bloke, see what direction he wants to go from here. 

Thanks for your time people!

I would be pulling the trans out again and fitting the converter to the trans then refitting it... Probably nothing wrong with the starter at all.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I know theres nothing wrong with the starter because, although it was fitted, I had to remove it for another reason. :P

With the bellhousing still bolted to the engine, undo and remove the torque convertor nuts, grab one of the studs and move it side to side, if the torque convertor is fully engaged on the pump the convertor studs should move freely in their little flexplate hole. If the studs don't move you will need to remove the box and fit the convertor onto the pump~drive correctly if it hasn't already damaged the pump, you might be lucky.