deankdx

Dean's Gemini wagon. from barn find to club reg etc

683 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SLO247 said:

This is awesome, I haven't seen a wagon since I was a kid. One of my primary school teachers had one.

Hopefully you don't find too much more rust, not sure what that bog on the back is all about. Looks and sounds like you saved it.

it has had a rear corner repair done by someone in that right rear, looks very well done inside.. internal brace has been cut out to access it by the looks.. no idea why the undercoat is so far up the quarter and beyond.. 

yeah, saving it.. seems the best term for these kinds of things.
i need to ask if he can find the missing chrome(alloy) window trim .. 3yr old kid probably used it as a sword.. will be hard to find if they don't have it

been spending, emailing, and physically touring the local ish wreckers this last week.

haven't had time to play cars lately  but did go to Dave's to move the F100 into the garage, which meant every car and trailer had to be moved... including the gemini,
same again, two pumps on the loud pedal and turn the key and running.. this was not the case for the 2 fords there lol. (XE with no choke is painful to start when cold, and the F100 decided to have a flat battery which was rather painful in itself.. hey @SPArKy_Dave you still haven't got a price on million mile jumper leads like Rod has)

i found a lightly damaged boot trim off a VB or VC commo which will work as my side trim, i can get the correct one but its over the postage length at 1.3meters and so far i only know of the one gemini wrecker in Qld(elkygem)
i have ordered most of the parts needed to make it complete and get the brakes working properly(they are very touchy, i noticed while moving it around, seem to work well still)

i always wanted to get the SLE alloy wheels for my sedan, they look similar to the hubcaps i am running. and i think this wagon i may model on the Gypsy panel van.. as foose would say, make it look like it could have come that way from the factory.  so it could look like a windowed version of the below albeit ratty at first. because i am not painting it other than the issues at first.

i cant do much to it until the parts turn up anyway..but i do want it on the road asap.. can't wait to drive it.

so, now torn between bathurst globes for the 80s look or the hippy wagon in stock style with sle wheels..

holden-gemini-gypsy-van.jpg

23 minutes ago, 2redrovers said:

Anybody have the sle wheels these days? They were thin on the ground when I had mine back in the late 90s-00

i have finally come across some in Victoria.. they are rare.. just need to do a deal with them.(swapping a sedan venetian blind for them is the hope, it came with the wagon and i don't want one on my sedan)

2redrovers likes this

10 hours ago, SPArKy_Dave said:

I'd go with Hippy wagon....

but only because I'm an eccentric mofo. :P

eccentric mofo's drive geminis when they are 40+ not on p plates?

1 hour ago, 2redrovers said:

From memory, one of mine was either rather worn or poorly adjusted.

the window winders are a bit concerning. they are some weird cable contraption not used in Fords till  E series (not sure how they work yet, but i'll be finding out before long probably.)
someone has put hot rod style winders on which i am not sure why as yet.. but they are ugly and need to go.. resembling the below
looks to have cut the door trim in the process, which i haven't decided how to fix yet..

MinBGNrQ.jpg

2redrovers likes this

continued with the parts gathering the other day.

these are the 2 cleanest ones. they had bald and flat tyres so i bought another 2 used dunlops for $35 each fitted.. couldn't be ballanced due to the center cap hole not being big enough for their machine.. .

i need at least one more center cap(yeah.. ask on a ford forum lol)

and would need to find a wheel cleaner that works with them and some similar colour for the faded center caps later.

no gemini work this weekend.. I will probably be doing brakes on it next week in the attempt to make it safely on a permit, and mounting the thermo fan, tail lights and tailgate latch.

so @MNTL.XD the detailer, what sort of wheel cleaner do raw sle wheels use these days(used to be Eagle1 solution B from memory when i had a VH commo..
Aoahzotq.jpg

Defective likes this

Sorry bud, can't help with that one. You might need to get in touch with Eagle 1 directly to see what they say?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

deankdx likes this

16 minutes ago, MNTL.XD said:

Sorry bud, can't help with that one. You might need to get in touch with Eagle 1 directly to see what they say?

cheers, was going to stop in at the local car detailer but don't think its needed
they are pretty clean.. well, cleaner than the rest of the car will end up in its first goal.. so, tipping they'll be as is for quite a while.

I'd just use something like a soft gel wash, nothing acidic. Whatever you use i'd almost be more concerned with what water you're washing it off with, i wouldn't let any tap water dry on them with the crap they put in it these days, probably best off buying a 10 litre container of homebrand springwater from coles or something. Blow the water off with the airgun especially in areas like the wheelnut cavities.

anyone who knows Me will be thinking.. he's not going to rinse the wheels with spring water lol.

i washed 2 with some wheel cleaner Mark gave me ages ago(non acid) and washed the other 2(one is painted gold) at the local car wash using the tyre wheel cleaner, soap and rinse. and left one of the unpainted ones alone.. will compare them all soon...

i think some kind of blasting and a matte clear would be ideal but... can't see that happening

I run a detailing business with my wife. On wheels that are old and I'm a bit wary of I use an iron fallout remover. The closest retail product you could buy is bowdens wheely clean. Just don't let it dry on the wheels, spray on, agitate with a SOFT brush, hose off. I usually dilute it 50/50 with water.

deankdx and Outback Jack like this

On 5/15/2017 at 0:11 PM, dex said:

Just about every second gemmy down here in tas had those wheels 

every second one here has gay arse 18s or "ceptors" .. those SLE wheels are hard to find here for sale.. still not worth much.. but finding stock 13s was just as hard due to everyone binning them for some kind of mag(i left mine in Tassie due to no space in the car for them.. wish i kept at least 2)

i think i might redo this trip in the gemini  wagon bucket list travels.. (took bald stockies off and fitted the camira wheels. soon to be rectified... bullbar is gone now too)

ZYM4PE5.jpg

the road Gordon Dam was quite an awesome drive

I6KbUnb.jpg

Outback Jack and FOMOCOHO like this

Nice score on the wags... haven't seen one for years. Might even be able to sleep in the back on road trips (unless you're getting to old for that sort of shit)!

:P:P:P

deankdx likes this

Damn that's hot ^

i haven't measured the back of the gemini, but its short(the seat base folds forward so the back can be level with the floor) i will investigate removal of the seat base and flipping the front seats forward, it will definitely sleep one if so. i haven't slept in the back of a wagon for about 10yrs, in an XF wagon i'd take a 2 or 3hr nap on the way back from a mates place.(after nearly running off the road half asleep once prior)

i have been buying more parts, found the elusive left mirror and he had new service parts like dissy cap, brake pads, etc  and has a spare 5 speed i'll buy just in case(at a price i could get my money back on easy) he has a 2litre (not twin cam) engine also in bits.. issue with in bits is whether its 100% still all there?..

aparently the 2 litre allows then to go up hills due to more torque..  still not sure if the diesel sedan has more torque than the 1.6 petrol the wagon currently has..

FOMOCOHO likes this

i had the chance to get a few more things done on the wagon today. forgot to take any pics.. nothing that interesting though.

repaired the too short tail gate seal with a section chopped out of a wreck boot seal..

silastic the gaps in the rear window seals(shrunken seals) more of an urgent temporary fix.

fitted the boot latch and it shuts and seals out water(fingers crossed)

i need to fit the new front door seals it came with, as that appears to be the where the front water leak is.. i had a bit of a dig around in the plenum area and seems like its not rusted through(surface rust needs addressing very soon)

also agreed to buy the 2 litre motor and 5 speed and copper radiator for the "its stock" look. due to it needing a minor rebuild with assembly.. must remember standard rebuild .. stock.. stock cam etc.. stock(do not modify)

that concludes the buying stuff phase.. (i hope)

actual progress will now begin.. i am keen to sand back the "repaired rust"  and paint that..

i did measure the length in the back.. 1.5 meters to the underside of the seat base(folded forward) so if to sleep in it, would need the seat base removed and the front seats flipped forward.. simples..

2redrovers likes this

On 15/05/2017 at 8:38 AM, Valvebouncer said:

I run a detailing business with my wife. On wheels that are old and I'm a bit wary of I use an iron fallout remover. The closest retail product you could buy is bowdens wheely clean. Just don't let it dry on the wheels, spray on, agitate with a SOFT brush, hose off. I usually dilute it 50/50 with water.

I have 4ltrs of IronX... would that do?

:P

I have 4ltrs of IronX... would that do?

Yes, definitely! Dilute it 50/50 with water and get ready for the worst smell in the world.

You could always ask Greg/Kaarnage to walk you through the process too.

SPArKy_Dave likes this

21 hours ago, Valvebouncer said:

Yes, definitely! Dilute it 50/50 with water and get ready for the worst smell in the world.

You could always ask Greg/Kaarnage to walk you through the process too.

Good old Greg...
I put solar on his house for him... I hope it's still going good!
That VW polo of his, has some next level gloss happening... just amazing! :o

Yeah it's the lemon scented stuff, but still pretty rank.
I've been using it straight. LOL! :P

Valvebouncer likes this