Panko

Panko's XF Ghia wagon - the resto and rebuild

132 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Panko said:

Dave, I'm sorry but sometimes you can be quite smug, whether you realise it or not.

is this why none of your cars dont get finished Dave, you can't trust professionals to do their job? lol :D 

I'm not trying to be smug, not in the slightest... but also CBF with a lot of stuff these days.
There are so many more important things in life...
stress is a huge killer!

I was just speaking from experience, with personal and family members cars.

My dad and I are actually trying to solve dodgy panel beating work atm... work done yrs ago, on his EL sedan.
The boot is leaking, because rear valance metal seams were not sealed after the valance was cut in half, and only half replaced,
which has in turn caused rust...

Now that we've mostly investigated it, and know the causes... the proper fix, will be very involved.
We're both dreading, the mess we'll find behind the rear bumper.

TBH, I'd rather someone thought I was being Smug, (and in turn heeded some of my advice), if it saved them from the stress and heartache
of having to sort out dodgy repairs.

Usually, it's not worth the stress of trying to get the dodgy repairer to re-do anything...
so you have to do it yourself.

deankdx and Valvebouncer like this

On 4/13/2017 at 4:53 PM, deankdx said:

looking forward to seeing this thing back on the road.. damn insurance companies..
how about the NOS tailgate supplier... or is he going to hoard them forever

9months ago..  how's the NOS tailgate going with one week till its going to panel and paint? 

ok so i still haven't re-uploaded all the photos in this thread since the whole photo-fucked-it debacle, BUT It is finally at the panel shop. I dropped it off today, with all the parts and panels needed to do the restoration job :D 

I wasnt given any indication to time line, but he does have a lot of cars on the go, and some outstanding rare and classic, and vintage cars being worked on. so he is just going to keep me in the loop as progress happens on the car. 

LTD083, user272 and deankdx like this

ok so i still haven't re-uploaded all the photos in this thread since the whole photo-fucked-it debacle, BUT It is finally at the panel shop. I dropped it off today, with all the parts and panels needed to do the restoration job  
I wasnt given any indication to time line, but he does have a lot of cars on the go, and some outstanding rare and classic, and vintage cars being worked on. so he is just going to keep me in the loop as progress happens on the car. 
Hey Panko,
Good to hear that it's progressing. It's all up from here. Considering the dramas you've had getting to this point it must feel pretty good to know your another step closer to getting it back as good as new.
Disappointed I won't get to see it at AFD though..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

user272 likes this

5 hours ago, LTD083 said:

Hey Panko,
Good to hear that it's progressing. It's all up from here. Considering the dramas you've had getting to this point it must feel pretty good to know your another step closer to getting it back as good as new.
Disappointed I won't get to see it at AFD though..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

depending on how i feel about it, and how protective i am of it when its all back together, it may come on a bit of road trip to Tassie next year. there is a slight chance i could get down for a short trip with the family, so ill see. 

Mr Polson, LTD083 and deankdx like this

I'm hoping that he and his guys do as good job as I've seen on many of the other cars they have in the workshop. 

the owner of the business, is such a genuine guy, and i kind of get the sense he is prepared to go that little bit further to make the car right. 

He asked me today when dropping it off if he was re-fitting the LPG filler into the new qtr panel. I said, "nope thats just blanked off on the inside to fill up a hole, and there is a couple of holes in the spare wheel well from where the LPG pipes used to run, we patched them at home with some plates over the old holes". 
he promptly sticks his head in the back and looks at the patches in the spare wheel well, and responds with, "oh thats a bit ugly, ill weld them all up and you won't know they were even there". 
I asked if he was sure, he said yep absolutely. won't take long and it means its all metal again. 

so thats the kind of guy he is, and i hope he continues with that attitude right the way through the restoration of the car. :D 

LTD083, deankdx, Defective and 1 other like this

depending on how i feel about it, and how protective i am of it when its all back together, it will come on a bit of road trip to Tassie next year. there is a slight chance i could get down for a short trip with the family, so ill see. 

Fixed? Seriously need to get our two wagons together for some photos - I've been saying that since I first bought a XF wagon

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LTD083, Slow250XC and deankdx like this

and if you are going to Tassie, get it sorted for taking the bike and go via Derby(and let Me know when you are going.. i may tag along?.. although i'd like to do it this year)

Yeah ill let ya know. 

When i was driving the wagon as a daily, i had it fitted with Kia Sorrento crossbar racks, onto the factory roof racks, then my bike racks onto the kia racks. I used to carry bikes on the roof it all the time. I think i still have the kia racks somewhere. 

deankdx likes this

Update time: 

ok so its been a little while since i updated this, but i have news. fantastic news :D 

The repairs are all done and finished on the car. its once again straight, with no rust left, and no holes from the old LPG system. 

The panel shop cut out a bit of rust they found on the inner skin of the LHR quarter where the inner and outer lip/wheel arch meet, as well as some other bits of minor rust they found. all been replaced with new metal

they welded new metal into the spare wheel well where the old LPG lines used to go through, and painted the spare wheel well

the NOS tail gate has had all the little imperfections pulled out, holes drilled for the wiper motor

chassis straightened of course 

then put the repairs all in primer. 

Whats next? 

So next up, is paint. 

The quote they gave me was a little overwhelming, and came from left field a little, but seems to be about on par for their quality and reputation. 
I am yet to decide whether I sit on the paint job for a bit to try save a bit more money, or give them the go ahead and spend the money now and get it done. IF I do that, I could have the car back, freshly painted, within a few weeks, which would be AWESOME! But I am going to have a think about it for a few days, which they are fine with. 

I'm hoping to go see the car on Friday, and pay for the repair work thus far. I will have photos then :D 

Im super excited about the progress, but the bank certainly is not haha. I am glad I have started my new job though, which is going well, slow, but going well. 

SO good things to come for the wagon, which is going to live again soon :D:D:D:D:D   

Mr Polson, gerg, EgoXF and 7 others like this

Even though the bill will be large I'd get them to paint it straight away. 

Not only will you get your car back all done a lot quicker but it means if there's any issues down the track they can't turn around and say 'oh that's been done by the cheap paint job you had done' etc.

And if you sit on the decision too long you will get whispers in your head , you know the ones 'old mate down the road can spray it for 2k, il do that' sort of voices...

do it once, do it right. 

Presuming you're happy with the work done so far of course,

Valvebouncer likes this

Happy for you mate. Felt your heartbreak at the beginning. Been a long journey. As posted- if your happy with their work get it painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, deankdx said:

good to hear!

how much of the car are they painting?

they're painting the entire car. 

yeah my heart is leaving towards getting it done now, for obvious reasons, as well as if i get it back together ill actually get to use some of that registration ive been paying to keep it "on the road" lol 

like i said, their reputation and quality of work is up there. and ill see it first hand hopefully friday when i see the car. 

deankdx likes this

Just imagine how good it'll look with fresh paint ;) here's a picture to make you miss it haha1ee98bb1ebce57ea08a6ca9e24f00b4d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If you can afford it, I'd say paint it now too. Its best all round if it doesn't leave the shop between stages, biggest reason no/low contamination risk. Soooo easy for silicon to stuff up your world.

Defective and Valvebouncer like this

These are the best pics I could get of it. it was tucked into a corner so a little hard to get to. 

as you will see the tailgate hasnt been fitted, but its all been straightened out, and prepped ready to go on. 

The car isnt ready yet, even if I wanted to take it home. he was saying he still needs to get it up on the hoist to do all the seam sealing underneath etc. 

I have given him the OK to go ahead with the re-spray, and he has given me a timeline of up to 3 months before ill see it again, which works out better for me anyway :D 

erKfpCR.jpg

UUcpHR7.jpg

zzMP6h2.jpg

EAeI1PI.jpg