Panko

Panko's XF Ghia wagon - the resto and rebuild

132 posts in this topic

Well guys, 

i thought of the idea to start a new build thread on my wagon, as a bit of a side thread, to highlight the restoration and rebuild of my wagon after the unfortunate accident at the end of last year. 

For those of you who haven't seen it, or haven't heard what happened, I was unfortunately run into up the backside in my wagon, by someone who, in peak hour traffic, just wasnt paying attention to what the traffic was doing. She was horrified and in tears, and very apologetic, and her boyfriend, the owner of the car they were in, was also very remorseful at the scene, although it didnt make me feel any better. 

anyway, this is what I am starting with. I hope next to begin the process of stripping it down to be taken to the panel shop to start repairs. Because the car was a "total loss" by Shannon's insurance, Ill be keeping a close watch on the process and workmanship throughout the repair process, as well as doing a photo log, as per Shannon's request so they will re-insure the car when its finished. 

0BFE4C33-A540-4581-ACEF-1D6014710279_zps

380EE2CE-AA3C-4B8F-BB11-6D149F34B783_zps

92103F7C-FC7F-4720-9B8A-2EA0968A0179_zps

A89C5EB0-3BE1-45A9-B9A6-E0943599B3F7_zps

B4142B45-7CD6-4DF4-B63C-2DB2AEBA8D20_zps

1DA66F76-FC03-4C21-905A-9BB1057E1F5C_zps

F6AF4E80-8EF7-408D-AF73-F92FA886B485_zps

3D303D87-9B20-49F2-B323-E1DC00F7842F_zps

7CEB7F98-3F6E-4FF5-A71E-5CE0F69E8631_zps

1E8E8EE2-36A9-4CAA-9ACE-ACA4E657B463_zps

4B400FF5-4659-4D9A-9845-B9324670ED1B_zps

It doesn't look too bad, and it wasnt a hard hit. it wouldn't have been any harder than 40km/h max. but hit in such a way it has managed to kink both rear chassis rails at the very back of the car, and kink the passenger rear quarter panel. The panel shop wants to replace the LHR quarter as part of the repairs, which thankfully I have a NOS panel sitting here at home. 
This is good, because not only will it save them from beating it, and shaping it to get it right again, it will get rid of the rust below the old LPG filler. 

stockesp, bigpaulo and deankdx like this

4 hours ago, deankdx said:

looking forward to seeing this thing back on the road.. damn insurance companies..
how about the NOS tailgate supplier... or is he going to hoard them forever

no no, I've been on his back about it. ill get one off him, dont worry about that. 
*even if i have to steal it and leave a cash deposit under the door for him to find* 

I second Dean, look forward to seeing it return.

Should be good to watch being repaired too.

So is it still full resto and respray?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah Chris, full repair, restore and respray. Ive been quoted up to have the car straightened, new LHR qtr fitted, tail gate test fitted, doors aligned, boot floor repaired, and the repairs put it in primer. At that stage ill probably take the car home again while i gather the extra money to cover the cost of the re-spray. 

Which will mean removing roof racks, visor, soucing another front bumper. 

The first step is to strip it. The car will be pulled down to a bare shell from B pillar back, including fuel tank and side glass. 

I need to fix the front door hinge bushes before i take it in. So guards off, doors off, hinges fixed, doors fitted, guards fitted. So i have a bit of work ahead of before i even take the car in for its first lot of work, but im looking forward to it. 

So this is where i got to today. Im going to have to turn the car around the other way, or move it completely out of the garage to get the passenger side guard  off. 

IMG_0703_zpsd9fi7jgj.jpg

deankdx and XTREME KARTS XF like this

On 13 April 2017 at 11:34 PM, Panko said:

The car will be pulled down to a bare shell from B pillar back, 

On 19 April 2017 at 6:56 PM, Panko said:

IMG_0703_zpsd9fi7jgj.jpg

Did you forget where the b pillar is?

MNTL.XD likes this

No, i forgot which end was which :P 

no the panel shop wants to the door hinges fixed before it goes in, so they can align the body properly. 

So i have to work from the front first 

Defective likes this

Finally some more progress. I went up today and pulled the driver's door off. 
Because the wiring loom for the doors are a continuous loom from the door, through the sills and into the middle of the car under the carpet, i pulled all the wiring back out of the door. 

IMG_0711_zpsbjairw7d.jpg

I have 3 wires i need to fix up in the driver's door loom, which should get the electric mirrors working again. 

if you look at the picture you can see there have been some wiring repairs in the past, which have again failed. According to dad, when he purchased the car from the dealership in 1992, the mirrors weren't working correctly back then, and he seems to remember that part of the purchase agreement was that Ford fix the issue before the car was picked up. 

IMG_0712_zpshwkz5qrz.jpg

deankdx likes this

those looms are a pain in the arms,

got to take your time if reusing any of it.. would be easier if you could take the door off to get the loom out lol..

Panko likes this

well thankfully the only thing not working is mirrors. and the 3 broken wires are for the mirrors. 

i was going to make up an entire new loom from 7 core trailer wire from inside A pillar to inside the door. so it was a standalone loom, but because its only 3, easy to get to wires that need repairing I'm not going to bother. 

deankdx likes this

Those looms are a pain in the arse, weirdest set up ever how they go right into the car.

I did that same repair on an XF I had years ago, must be a common thing for the wires to stretch and break.

Yeah funny about those looms.  Ive had to do same on mine thanks to a fucked up central locking.  But its why fords and holdens had centre console windows for ages.  Less wires through the doors = more reliable.

The doors opening and closing always causes the wires to break.

XF was the only pre au model to have that too...

Chrome bumper Falcons had the window switches in the doors didnt they? It's one thing that stops me getting another ghia, they're just so prone to electrical gremlins.

dunno why I like fords so much,,they do some really dumb shit sometimes, then take bloody ages to sort it properly.

Progress is painfully slow at the moment. If the pace doesnt pick up its going to take me 5 years to finish it lol :( 

went up to the car again today. Cleaned up the surface rust behind where the hinges bolt to the car. 

image_zpsndbwh9xe.jpeg

bolted the hinges onto the doors after rebuilding them...

if all goes well the door will be on tomorrow. 

image_zpsbdsf2bqn.jpeg

i managed to leave the keys to the wagon at home, so couldnt test the mirrors after fixing the wiring up. I know it works, but the motors in the mirror were rather dry and noisy so i took it home to service it. 

ok backwards update. 

Cleaning the hinges up with wire wheel ready for paint. I considered leaving them polished :P 
IMG_0716_zpsy5gik2m3.jpg

fresh paint
IMG_0717_zpsehehyogo.jpg

all back together with new bush and pin kit. fkn mint :D 

IMG_0718_zpsfsut1piw.jpg

my dad attacked this little doovey to tighten it up a bit. he ground it off and knocked it out, then put a washer in there and tack welded it back in. its tightened it right up. 
http://vid250.photobucket.com/albums/gg261/panko02/XF restoration/IMG_0719_zpsjdsggh3c.mp4

fixed the wiring up. 
IMG_0720_zpspbdgp7ta.jpg

MNTL.XD likes this

that wheel (doovey) needs to turn, i'd have left it.

when the doovey seize up, that's what cracks the bottom of the door also(as well as bending the door back further than it should.. shakes fist at the wind!!!)

Panko likes this

Good job, are you doing all 4 doors or just the drivers door? I just done mine thinking the others wouldn't be too bad, one of the hinges on one of the back doors was completely shagged which didn't really seem too bad until it was removed, more slop than the mother in law! 

How do tailgate hinges wear on wagons? I don't remember hearing of anyone replacing them.

Panko likes this

1 hour ago, deankdx said:

that wheel (doovey) needs to turn, i'd have left it.

when the doovey seize up, that's what cracks the bottom of the door also(as well as bending the door back further than it should.. shakes fist at the wind!!!)

I linked a short video of it. In the middle of my post (dont know how to embed photobucket videos) it does still turn freely, it was just to reduce the up and down slop it had, which used to cause it to jam at all weird angles. 

deankdx likes this

At this stage im only doing the front doors as thats what the panel shop asked for. However, i did realise ive painted the front hinges, so now the rears are going to look ratty AF lol. 

So they might spray the hinges when they paint the car, or ill do the rear door hinges up at some stage and paint them like the front. 

As for the tail gate, im not sure. Ill be pulling the tail gate off at the hinges at some stage anyway. They have a similar arrangement, just a pin holding the 2 halves of the hinges together. Ive never heard of anyone replacing those bushes, im not sure if you can even get them. 

Its annoying that i know the front doors are the slowest and most fiddly part of prepping it to go to the panel shop. I hope to have it in the shop by the start of june. That would be a nice birthday present to myself, to have the car in the panel shop. 

Defective and MNTL.XD like this