Sign in to follow this  
LTD083

Rear discs

Hi all,

Just trying to track down a fairly severe rattle from the rear that goes away when I brake or pull the handbrake on slightly.

Note in the below pic of the disc that there is a hole between 2 studs.

anubyby6.jpg

This should have a screw in it I believe. However there is no thread behind it which I presume wasnt lined up when the disc has been put on. The other side is the same except there is a thread visible. When I grab the disc and try to move it there is some movement there. The disc also doesnt turn very freely. Question is would the missing screw cause the rattle? I imagine the wheel done up would prevent any movement but why is there provision for a screw?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Mate there should definitely be a screw in there. Take the disc off & you'll see you can re-align it like the other side. The wheel lug nuts will also help secure the disc but without that screw the disc can still move fractionally putting stress on the studs eventually shearing the studs from metal fatigue (its happened to me)

Your rattle could be from your inner brake pad if its lost the retaining clip or it could be the springs not being seated properly?

Mate there should definitely be a screw in there. Take the disc off & you'll see you can re-align it like the other side. The wheel lug nuts will also help secure the disc but without that screw the disc can still move fractionally putting stress on the studs eventually shearing the studs from metal fatigue (its happened to me)

Your rattle could be from your inner brake pad if its lost the retaining clip or it could be the springs not being seated properly?

Cheers Mike i'll grab some screws off one of the wrecks.

I'll check pad security when I relpace screws.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2