deankdx

cutting out/ starting issue.. smartlock?

Gday, I'm having a problem i haven't had before..

i know the ignition assy is sus, as sometimes when you start the car, the radio/fan etc doesn't work till you wiggle the key a bit.. i am assuming this could also be the cause of the not starting sometimes or stalling twice while running?

i was wondering if it could be the smartlock thing(bcm is it?) what actually does this cut? i thought 2 things, starter and injectors? i have hotwired the gas(LPG dual fuel) and the starter cranks, so it should have started.. but didn't today.. could also be a coil issue or even dissy(i have spares i could fit also.. but trying not to change every single part of this car if possible.

any help would be appreciated...questions below, suggestions otherwise would be appreciated also thanks
A) what actually does smart lock cut? 

B) if it is the bcm,(if thats what the smartlock thing is called) where is it on an XG and how do you get to it?

When my XG of 22 years has all of a sudden not wanted to start, it has normally been corrosion on the additional wires on the positive battery terminal. I have found it can only be a very minor amount of corrosion to stuff it up. Five minute clean and away it goes again for the next year! Hope it's that simple. If no go, next try a clean of the earth on the main fuse block.

I don't know about the smartlock or BCM.

Don't believe Smartlock stops cranking.

I fixed a friend's once when it wouldn't start, was cranking fine but no injector pulse, turned out to be blown fuse (Smartlock light wasn't on). Won't be your issue, but should be an answer to A.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There is a lil doovy called an optical sensor in the barrel..

If it doesnt read the key properly it will not let you start the car.

You need new barrel and keys.

Fuel is immobilised is why wont start.

Smartlock looks for 3 inputs, when these are satisfied it will start.

One is bcm... one is optical sensor..... other is completed circuit.... ie... if you have no interior light globe, it wont start.

Not cranking at all is the barrel.

Bcm will be fine.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Outback Jack said:

There is a lil doovy called an optical sensor in the barrel..

If it doesnt read the key properly it will not let you start the car.

You need new barrel and keys.

Fuel is immobilised is why wont start.

Smartlock looks for 3 inputs, when these are satisfied it will start.

One is bcm... one is optical sensor..... other is completed circuit.... ie... if you have no interior light globe, it wont start.

Not cranking at all is the barrel.

Bcm will be fine.

Jack.

Hey Jack, glad you posted, i was considering sending you a pm directly..

i have a different lock barrel with key spare, doesn't look like there is anything in that?  so you mean the lock assy attatched to the column.

fuel isn't immobilised if i hotwire the gas, it cranked over fine.

when it cuts fuel, does it cut the pump? or injectors? as the fuel pump has stopped working, and i fitted a new fuel pump relay(yet to bridge the wiring to double check, or lift the tub liner and check the pump wiring/pump again though.

will a lock assy off say an EB ED EF EL etc fit on the XG column? no doubt i would be able to find a lower km/better one if i had more options..(not sure i want to keep pouring money into this thing with no end in sight.. )

Ol mate just got me to swap out the steering lock on his ef .

wind over ,, not fire .

thought the bcm was faulty at first ,, cos sometimes it would not even wind over ,,

give the bcm a tap and bingo ,, wind over.

new lock ,, hour odd of ignition on ,, allowing the relearn ,,

turn the key and 

bruuuum ,,,

bitch fairmont back on the map 

Yeah it will cut the pumps via the fuel relay but at an ecu level with the EEC IV Power relay.

Its the power to the starter circuit and fuel relay (pumps).

So hard to bypass that.

Ok, 2 fuses to check.

Wiper fuse and courtesy light fuse.... both in smartlock circuit.

Then make sure your interior light works.

Also check wiring on your starter motor is good. Just its not loose.

This is also in smartlock module circuit.

This is the good bit....

A relearn... can do this if you fit a new ignition barrel as yours sounds rooted.

But try it now as well.....

Turn to ON , leave for 30 min .

If it is sucessful the smartlock light stops flashing and you should be able to start it.

Code relearnt... all good.

If the light stays on solid red after 30 min but you can still start it, its still failing codes and we will need to look at it further.

If thats the case,if you turn it off and it wont start again.... then its probably that barrel.

Hope that helps.

When smartlock was released they actually got car theives to try and steal it..........they couldn't , is why its such a bitch when it goes wrong.

Dex is spot on with the relearn..... has to stay with ignition on for at least 30 minutes to learn new barrel or any other changed item which operates in the smartlock curcuit.

Any smartlock barrel should be fine but make sure you get the keys! And that they turn the barrels all the way.

Jack.

Ohh ,,

add some more in here ,,

MAKE SURE ,,!! ,,, you leave a window open ,,!!

as you need all 4 doors shut ,for the smart lock to go through the motions of recognising any new components within the smart lock system.

some can auto door lock ,,,,,whilst you have the ignition turned on .

dont want that .

cool, its in my XG ute with no central locking.. but i get ya.(no chestnut, i should have bought a rusty XR,XT,XW.XY ute instead.. wouldn't have these issues)

its always cranked.. but that doesn't mean the relays inside the bcm arn't fubar in the fuel pump part. but i don't need that to run, as i have gas.

if smartlock doesn't cut ignition, then it has to be my ignition lock assy only

i bought ignition key barrel from an XH and accidentally locked the ignition barrel after starting that car with a screw driver(its on acc when you pull the barrel) it started.. but when i turned it to off.. an ominous CLUNK came from the ignition barrel.. GAME OVER.. to get that car moved again, needed the lock assy taken off the column and another ignition barrel plugged in and learned.. the ignition locks know if a barrel has been pulled out and that is shutdown forever.

where is the bcm located in a XG ute? is it accessible without pulling the whole dash?

My plans are to replace in the following order.. (0r just do the lot and hope any one of them did fix it, but i'd like to know what was the issue)

1 ignition lock assy.

2 bcm

3 coil (only because its easier than a dissy swap)

4 dissy

5 ebay, suit LS conversion.

Not sure if it's the same, but my NF (4.0 litre) Fairlane used to have trouble starting. It was the Smartlock module, mine was green although they are different colours for different levels of Falcon. It was located in front of your left knee, behind the plastic panel. My symptom was no cranking at all.

Hold the key over to start, and bash the panel in front of your left knee. Bingo.

Sourced a new green Smartlock, installed it, a year later, same thing. Just lived with it until I sold the Fairlane. Told the new buyer how to start it.

Ford xg smartlock is located behind dash-passenger side- near passenger speaker but right up there though.

Can get to it without removing dash (double jointed does help)

Remove speaker, glove box, side vent. then undo dash to pull forward enough to get hand up there.

Removed mine that way and fitted else where for easy repair. (dry solder)

The xg's are red too.

think i'll pull it apart and see whats buggered. ..  it cranks fine, so it could be the other circuit, but i would think its not connected to the gas in this way(if it is i can easily bypass it to go round that..

i wish i loved the car, it would make fixing it more enjoyable.. seems like i'd be fixing it for someone else

39 minutes ago, dex said:

Have you lost any " warning " lights on the dash when the ignition is turned on ,? 

not sure whats supposed to be on? or what the smart lock light is meant to do
any tips to look at next time i look at it

Ol mates ,"ef fairmont " ,, lost the bottom left lights on his dash . 

Dunno if its related to any of the other woes ,,

switch , bcm ,,,, but appeared to happen same time as it refused to start 

Just checked some old photocopies of manual pages, for when I had to replace TFI module on distributor.

It says smartlock fault will show as continual flashing of smartlock light when ignition is on. If so, do the 30 minute relearn thing.

Is there spark at the spark plugs when cranking? 

3 hours ago, GTSF said:

Just checked some old photocopies of manual pages, for when I had to replace TFI module on distributor.

It says smartlock fault will show as continual flashing of smartlock light when ignition is on. If so, do the 30 minute relearn thing.

Is there spark at the spark plugs when cranking? 

i haven't checked for spark as it has not been dead for long enough, just ran my hotwire to the gas and tried that first.. unhooked it when nothing happened and tried again(because its been that inconsistent) and it started fine..

here is what the light does.

flashes when car is turned off(to warn thieves not to mess with the awesome security features of not starting)
turn the key to acc and it goes out..
turn the ign on and it stays on for a while and goes out.
video below to bore you with useless info.

i haven't tried bypassing the NEW fuel pump relay to see if the fuel pump works, will consider doing this when i am in the mood to test things again.

Mate thats nothing to do with ya smartlock... thats operating fine.
I bet ya got no fuel pump working.
Check relay...wiring and pump is connected properly and working.
Also check fuel pump and relay fuse.
And remember one relay is fuel and one relay is power relay. Right next to each other. And look at diagram on old relay... should be same as new one. If not, wont work.

Its not smartlock problem at all. That is working 100% fine.

Gas bypasses ya relay because was installed after ute left factory.
Any intermittant problem starting on gas will be that shitty barrel.

Thats it mate... you narrowed it down now ya almost there.

Jack.