Outback Jack

Fitting BA XR6T motor and T5 box into an 96 XG Outback Ute

Hey guys!

Have been offered a XR6T motor and T5 5 speed ...well actually a whole front cut including fuel tank etc.

Now what I want to know is if it is possible to somehow get all this in my ute without butchering it???

I would like a modern motor with about 100kw more grunt..... but in my ol skool girl.

Guy was askin about 3.5k......

Everything is there.

Motor has had bit of a tickle and running a piggyback chip...also about a 140,000km motor, but thats as much as I know.

Just wanted some ideas as to if it was worth it..... motor and box in my ute is getting long in tooth... but original.... do maybe keep and rebuild.

I know its a big job but I'm really curious what 240kw and 550nm in an Outback feels like.... maybe no aircon this summer again..... lol.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

I to am doing a motor upgrade to the XG in the near future but im going the Au engine and turbo kit with cam, springs and J3 chip. No real mods to do to fit it all up and not that expensive.

Im sure the barra could go in but would need loom work and other mods.

Define butchering?

I think from the threads I've seen some minor cutting is required, but nothing major.

Electronics tend to be the fun side.

Outbacks have a fact diff don't they? Would it be able to cope with the extra power?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I to am doing a motor upgrade to the XG in the near future but im going the Au engine and turbo kit with cam, springs and J3 chip. No real mods to do to fit it all up and not that expensive.
Im sure the barra could go in but would need loom work and other mods.

Cheers Hendrix.... yeah was thinking it needed to have tower notched in bay and wiring was ok but dash has me farked..for now....

Define butchering?

I think from the threads I've seen some minor cutting is required, but nothing major.

Electronics tend to be the fun side.

Outbacks have a fact diff don't they? Would it be able to cope with the extra power?

Define butchery?..... the art of butchering.... lol

Electronics right up my alley.

Just wanted to know if for all the crap it was worth it.... or the right direction if I wanted to go that way...

$3500 is too much.
You need to cut stuff to fit it.

Yeah Ants I thought was a bit exxy.
I was maybe interested at about 2.5K but know what ya saying with intercooler and shit....

Swapping between my G6E and mums AU there is a huge difference, and that's with them being N/A. Obviously other differences are there too (box, suspension etc), but I'd definitely say it'd be worth the hassle of you wanted more power. Maybe better fuel economy depending how you drive too?

Have you driven a Turbo Falcon? Find one to take for a drive if not and that'll help you decide, maybe.

As stated, the gearboxes are trash. It will last for a while stock, depending on how you drive of course. But as soon as you want more power it'll be 6 speed time (T56, TR6060) or a TKO.

Then when you do pop the 5 speed, you'll struggle to find a decent 2nd hand one that hasn't been flogged. Modifying the 5 speed can be done, but it's just as expensive if not more than the 6 speed conversion. 3.5k is too much dinero to pay.

Also, consider how the vehicle may have been treated by previous owners. Turbo + Manual? I'd be driving that Bitch like I stole it erryday. It could end up costing you more.

That's the reason why Ford went to the 6-speed: not for the extra gear but due to its strength.

I remember going on a test drive with a mate in an XR6 turbo 5-speed and no more than 2 min into it, the box got jammed in 3rd. He limped it all the way back to the dealer like this. This was on a demo with less than 10 000 km.

Cheers for the honest info fellas, think I'll have to pass on it.
1. Too exxy for what it is.

2. Not the best platform for future mods without upgrades.

3. Modifications needed will take away from originality of rare ute.

4. Box is same as my T5 now... not an upgrade.

I did do my homework last few days and ba is easiest to run ecu with pin outs off and wires removed you dont need. Bf has intergrated security naking it a shit.
Its the chopping of the body... will ruin an original.

Oh well.... was worth a thought anyway.

Jack.

42 minutes ago, Outback Jack said:

4. Box is same as my T5 now... not an upgrade.

The XR6 Turbo actually runs a T5z box. Little bit stronger, but then take into consideration the motor is a little (lot) stronger too. Have just murdered my 5th (or is it 6th) T5 box. This latest one is behind a virtaully stock Barra, CAI only. Lost 5th and Reverse, synchros stuffed. Mal Wood quoted ~$700 for new bearings, seals and synchros. Plus I've never put one together so went T56 instead. Barra T5 and T5z harder to find than their <AU counterparts, 26 spline input vs 10 spline. 

In the states, they have all sorts of gearset options like low helical gears, dog teeth, close ratio, big bearing conversions but with all of these upgrades, the casing itself is starting to become a weak point.

Just remember: the first car to use this box was an AMC Spirit, a smog era 4-banger.

Cool fellas.
Sometimes original is cool... and if it was a 95 Outback.... maybe, but not a 96.

Can't be more than 10 built. Mines one of two manuals in Le Mans red.

I'll keep her as is for now.

Cheers.

you wont have to cut the car up , but you will have to stuff around a fair bit with wiring / tune to get it running (or pay someone and it basically becomes a plug and play ecu setup)

you can swap and match up parts to get it all to fit without cutting the car. the worst most major thing is getting the sump cut and shut

https://www.facebook.com/groups/billscustomlooms/?ref=group_cover

try that link , they make loom kits and source other parts to make it much easier

for the price id honeslty just get a standard FG motor from the wreckers , fg turbo manifold, t56 from a turbo, bolt that in , buy a loom kit for the ecu and wiring side of things

and if you wanna turbo it just run 6-8psi it will hold up fine , people are turboing the n/a motors more and more now

you wont have to cut the car up , but you will have to stuff around a fair bit with wiring / tune to get it running (or pay someone and it basically becomes a plug and play ecu setup)

you can swap and match up parts to get it all to fit without cutting the car. the worst most major thing is getting the sump cut and shut

https://www.facebook.com/groups/billscustomlooms/?ref=group_cover

try that link , they make loom kits and source other parts to make it much easier

for the price id honeslty just get a standard FG motor from the wreckers , fg turbo manifold, t56 from a turbo, bolt that in , buy a loom kit for the ecu and wiring side of things

and if you wanna turbo it just run 6-8psi it will hold up fine , people are turboing the n/a motors more and more now

I wish! We are talking ol skool Clevo eh Bear? Hehe.

I may go down the fg road later... just a Barra and cams, chip and stuff.

Then no need for notching strut tower. Is probably all the power I need and will be reliable.