dunsta87

dustless blasting

I have an attachment for a karcher that sucks sand from a bucket and blasts whatever with high speed water and sand. It brought up a set of snowflakes really well, but only used river sand (not garnet). Tried it a little on some rusted steel and didn't really do much. Karchers are relatively low in pressure, I'd expect professional setups to have a lot more balls. Main advantage is that there is no heat buildup as is with dry sandblasting which can warp and ruin panels in a flash (don't ask how I know) so has to be better in that respect.

Price, dunno. Haven't heard of any in Australia that do it. Probably comparable to soda or dipping as they're the main competition.

Sorry, didn't see this earlier.

Recently had the underneath of the floorpan for the torana done by enviroblast. Was a decent bloke, came out and did the job on-site.

Results were fine as far as surface and workmanship. Perhaps could have cleaned up better but he may have been nervous about water getting where it shouldn't.

Cost was somewhere round 700-800 and took several hours to complete. He said rough numbers for a whole car would be starting around 2500. Price depends on if there's body deadener etc, takes longer to blast off. His process uses high pressure water and glass beads as media.

Btw, calling it dustless is a stretch.. Ok, less dust but not dustless.